• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and why Diwali is celebrated

HRM

Hi ya.
I wondered if you could clarify something for me?

Is the following correct?

In Northern India Hindus celebrate Diwali to mark the triumph of Lord Ram over the demon Raksah. Does this refer to the fight they had when he kidnapped Sita?

In Eastern India Hindus celebrate Diwali for a different reason, which is to honour the Goddess Kali destroying Bakasura (demon). What is the story behind this if it is correct?

In Southern India Hindus celebrate Diwali for yet another reason which is to commemorate Lord Krishna killing Narakasura (demon?). Again, what is the story behind this if it is correct?

Hindus in general? Do they celebrate Diwali because the rightful heir returned to the throne after being expelled to the forest for 14 years by his step mum who wanted her son to be King? Thus the celebration isn't so much to do with the events which occurred when they were in the forest but rather it's about them returning.

Is any of this accurate? Pls help me get the correct information.

Thanks
HRM :)

Surya Deva

The Sikhs have another reason for celebrating Diwali.

It's political really. Each faction of Hinduism celebrates Diwali because it has been their tradition for thousands of years, but modern day separatists want to celebrate the tradition but deny that they are celebrating it to celeberate the homecoming of Lord Rama, but for the victory of their own favourite deity/god/figurehead, and then make up stories to justify it, or modify existing stories.

The real reason that Diwali is celebrated is to remember the homecoming of Lord Rama to his kingdom Ayodhya after rescuing his wife Sita from the demon-king Ravana and slaying the tyrant. The day he arrived there was massive celebration and everywhere in Ayodhya Diyas(oil lamps) were lit symbolising the victory of light over darkness. This is why it is called Deepvali in Sanskrit(the festival of lights) it is also the Hindu new year.

Hi ya.
I wondered if you could clarify something for me?

In Northern India Hindus celebrate Diwali to mark the triumph of Lord Ram over the demon Raksah. Does this refer to the fight they had when he kidnapped Sita?

In Eastern India Hindus celebrate Diwali for a different reason, which is to honour the Goddess Kali destroying Bakasura (demon). What is the story behind this if it is correct?

In Southern India Hindus celebrate Diwali for yet another reason which is to commemorate Lord Krishna killing Narakasura (demon?). Again, what is the story behind this if it is correct?

Hindus in general? Do they celebrate Diwali because the rightful heir returned to the throne after being expelled to the forest for 14 years by his step mum who wanted her son to be King? Thus the celebration isn't so much to do with the events which occurred when they were in the forest but rather it's about them returning.

Is any of this accurate? Pls help me get the correct information.

Thanks
HRM :)

My tradition celebrates Diwali this way.

We celebrate the night before Diwali ( The new moon)as the night of Kali the dark night of the soul before enlightenment. This night is about sacrificing the ego to mother Kali. This is the night we celebrate mother Kali taking our egos. We give our ignorance, anger and desires to our Mother on this night. We are not strong enough to push these nasty things out of our lives on our own. Its our powerful Mother who can take away all of our bad qualities all we have to do is give them to Her.. This is why Her tongue is out she eats anger and desire. The big puja is at midnight. The darkest time of the night.It is only when we clearly see the darkness our selfishness ,will she take away all of our egotism that keeps us from our knowledge of unity and loving our fellow man.

The next day is Diwali the coming of the Lord Rama. We use lights to welcome the Lord just like the citizens of Ayodhya welcomed the Lord Rama back to there city.We use this day to celebrate our union with the Lord in our hearts. We join with Him and take on his qualities of Love and harmony to create lives that are dharmic in every way.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
In my country Trinidad & Tobago, we light the earthen pots or deeyas on the darkest night of the year to symbolize the triumph of light over darkness. We celebrate the return of Shri Ram, his wife Sita Ma and Lakshman, Shri Ram's brother, from exile in the forest. The people of Ayodhya lit the deeyas to welcome them back.

In India, going from state to state is like going to country to country, there are stark differences.

But the first reason Diwali was celebrated was to welcome home Shri Ram from his exile in the forest, also after rescuing his queen, Sita Maa. It was dark when they came home to the kingdom of Ayodhya, so the people lit Deeyas to light up the town...

So much for global warming :D

HRM

Thanks for this. I know the story of the King, his 3 queens, that Rama's step mother sent him to the forest, in the hope that he wouldn't survive 14 yrs of it. Thus her son would be King until he died.
So while they were in the forest many things happened but is the celebration of Diwali becuase the rightful heir returned to rule the kingdom?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
All three stories are correct as also the fourth, that Diwali is a harvest festival. We have a saying 'Hari Ananta Hari Kathaa Anantaa' (Just as God is infinite, so also are His stories). Hindus do not see any discrepancy in this.