• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and spiritual/scripture dietary regulation

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I dislike quoting studies, because everybody and his dog has a different study that they can quote, often showing contradictions. But the calcium and protein thing.. well, here goes: http://jewishveg.com/schwartz/pcmyths.html

Being a bit of a cynic, I think the agricultural lobby groups have done a number on nutrition, paying for their own 'independent' studies and the like.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Familiar with ADM, Archer Daniels Midland? Major producer of soy based foods and a big player in the food industry. They have their fingers in everybody's pies. The old USDA food pyramid that had grains at the bottom of the pyramid was because the grain lobby won the pissin' contest. What should have been at the bottom were non-starchy carbs, i.e. vegs and non-sugary fruits.

Wannabe Yogi

Some people cannot absorb nutrients from non-animal sources. Most people cannot absorb the iron in spinach and most vegetables (called non-heme iron). It is bound to a compound we cannot break down. We can only absorb iron from animal sources (called heme iron)

Most people can absorb iron from non-animal sources. They just need to eat slightly more iron. Vitamin C consumption also helps the body better absorb iron, so drinking a glass of orange juice with a meal will help increase absorption.

It is likely that some adaptation to lower iron intakes takes place. One study has found that vegetarians lost far less iron from their intestines, compared to omnivores. And in men consuming a diet with low iron bio-availability, iron absorption increased over time.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/iron-vegetarian-diet.php

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Most people can absorb iron from non-animal sources. They just need to eat slightly more iron. Also just pairing a little Heme iron (i.e.egg) with non heme iron allows the body to take in all iron as if its heme iron. For the small percentage of the population who do have some problems with iron intake they just need to pair a little egg with the iron rich greens. Also cooking in a cast iron fry pan will give you extra iron.

Yes, we used to worry about iron, even taking iron supplements for awhile, and people always warned me about low iron. Somehow, every time I or my wife had a blood test (3 or 4 times for me, more for her) we were never low on iron. No supplements, nothing. So I do believe its coming from somewhere. :) That would seem logical.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, acidic foods cooked in cast iron will release some iron; yes there are ways to get iron into the system. For total vegetarians the eggs are out. The reason iron from spinach is unusable is because it is bound to oxalic acid. I'm not saying that animal flesh is the only way to get iron.

People who jump into vegetarianism usually don't know what they are doing. A family or culture that is primarily vegetarian has the benefit of experience in knowing what foods give the most bang for the buck, as well as all the items that make up a good healthy diet.

I've known vegetarians that made the Crypt Keeper look obese, and there are pro competitive bodybuilders who are vegetarian (Bill Pearl was one).

Wannabe Yogi

Yes, we used to worry about iron, even taking iron supplements for awhile, and people always warned me about low iron. Somehow, every time I or my wife had a blood test (3 or 4 times for me, more for her) we were never low on iron. No supplements, nothing. So I do believe its coming from somewhere. :) That would seem logical.

I am the same way. Never a problem, never had a worry or tried to get enough. I had a family member who had a tumor and lost a lot of blood. She was anemic, cast Iron cooking turned that around. If you are lazy just eat iron fortified cereal in the morning.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Men should absolutely avoid iron supplements. We can't get rid of it like women can (how many men are anemic v. women?) There's a condition called hemochromatosis. It's excess iron in the blood, which can damage the heart. I know a man who has to regularly donate blood because of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Men should absolutely avoid iron supplements. We can't get rid of it like women can (how many men are anemic v. women?) There's a condition called hemochromatosis. It's excess iron in the blood, which can damage the heart. I know a man who has to regularly donate blood because of it.

I'm not worried ... we do have reincarnation after all :)