• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and Christianity

GoodbyeDave

I'm neither Christian, nor Hindu but wondered about the relationship between the two religions these days. Do the two religions coexist in harmony? If not, why not?
Christianity is about conversion and it's never going to be easy to live in harmony with people who declare that your religion is inferior and that you should convert to theirs!

On the subject of the Raj, although British politicians back home were polite about missionaries, the administrators on the ground always made sure that they didn't antagonise people. The Indian army was mostly Hindu or Muslim, so the Raj wouldn't have lasted long without their support. The Mutiny was sparked by (false) rumours about planned Christianisation. This was very different to the open persecution practiced by the Portuguese or the bribery practiced by US missionaries today. One mustn't forget that some Anglo-Indians converted from Christianity to Hinduism:
John Woodroffe - Wikipedia

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I even tolerate single expansion.
All of my engines are.
Hmmm....I need more diversity.
I have just realised....
You cannot have any rail or marine model engines?
I'm sure that steam powered rail (and marine) engines were double (even triple?) expansion engines. Am I right?

...which suggests that your museum might not have many models? If I'm right then our Science Museum (UK) has the advantage.......... :p

atanu

Premium Member
I was reflecting on the differences and similarities between Hinduism and Christianity then came across a Christian apologetic's website:

Bible Questions Answered

and a specific item

I am a Hindu, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

It is probably no suprise the author(s) are critical of Hinduism and favour Christianity.

So I wondered how Hindus view of Christianity given India was the jewel in the crown of the British Empire. I have certainty encountered passionate anti-Christian and anti-Abrahamic sentiment amongst Hindus on RF that certainly matches if not exceeds negative attitudes from Christians towards Hinduism. On the other hand I've met both Hindus and Christians who have a very universal and inclusive outlook.

I came across this article that appeared insightful.

TRADITIONAL HINDU VIEWS AND ATTITUDES TOWARD CHRISTIANITY | Aghamkar | Global Missiology English

I'm neither Christian, nor Hindu but wondered about the relationship between the two religions these days. Do the two religions coexist in harmony? If not, why not? What is your experience of attitudes of Hindus and Christians towards the other?

I am not a nationalist Hindutva follower. On the contrary I am opposed to them. But what of the following evil groups?

Joshua Project
https://missionindia.org

These projects are fuelled by imperialistic and hateful designs. why should every Hindu know of Jesus? What is the motivation behind these projects? Did Jesus give free license to all so-called Christians to spread their ignorance?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Two of the sort of organisations I meant when I wrote of US evangelicals relying on bribery. Why doesn't the Indian government do something about such bodies?
I think part of it is which level of government deals with this. Some state governments have passed anti-proselytizing laws, and try to enforce them. Others, not so much. Aupmanyav will know more.

Edited ... this might add insight State Anti-conversion Laws in India

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have just realised....
You cannot have any rail or marine model engines?
I'm sure that steam powered rail (and marine) engines were double (even triple?) expansion engines. Am I right?

...which suggests that your museum might not have many models? If I'm right then our Science Museum (UK) has the advantage.......... :p
I have no locomotive engines.
Marine engines also came in quadruple expansion engines, even in small sizes.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I almost bought a double expansion engine once.
It was an ex-Ford Museum engine...an odd one with
each cylinder being different bore & stroke from the other.
I think that I can understand that it had a different bore, the lower pressure cylinder being the larger bore. And 'yes' that cylinder may have had the shorter stroke. Am I right?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think that I can understand that it had a different bore, the lower pressure cylinder being the larger bore. And 'yes' that cylinder may have had the shorter stroke. Am I right?
Typically, the higher pressure cylinders would have shorter strokes.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I've observed the same. This all started about 2 weeks back, in a 'fight fire with fire' mentality. It was originally a response to attack Iranian Muslims, but has since extended to anyone who points out any discrepancies in the Baha'i faith, like you or me. This thread is for me, I know, but oh well. I responded as sensibly I could. Now I'll sit back and watch again.
To the Baha'is, would they really expect good things happening between the two religions? Any form of Christianity that goes someplace is probably going there to try and convert the people. I can't imagine a "liberal" Christian going all the way to India just to tell them that what they believe is "okay". So those "Evangelical" Christians want to "save" heathens. They don't care which type of Hinduism the person is. To those Christians, all of them are wrong.

But to Baha'is, which religion is right? As practiced, I don't think Baha'is believe any form of Hinduism or Christianity has the real truth. Like, as we've mentioned many times, if Hindus believe in reincarnation, Baha'is believe they are wrong. If Christians believe that Jesus rose literally from the dead, and believe literally in a lot of things in the Bible like Creation and the Flood, then they are wrong.

With differences in beliefs, how could they get along? You mentioned that India is "secular". Same thing has happened all over the world. If people want to get along, don't talk about or argue about religion.

So now throw Baha'is in the mix. If they aren't there to make or "find" new Baha'is, then what did they go there for? No matter what they try and say, they have plans developed by their leaders to go convert people. You know it. I know it. Heck, I was with my Baha'i friends on their projects to go and try and convert those other "Indians", the Native people in the U.S. and Canada. Why would they do that? Why would Christians try and do the same thing? They each believe they have a better truth. They each think that the old beliefs of the people are wrong. How you gonna get along with that? Christians, I'm sure are more aggressive on trying to convert people than Baha'is. But, the ultimate goal is to get people to leave their old religion behind and take on the new one.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is an another post of mine emphasizing the similarities between Jesus, Krishna, Upanishadic and Sufi philosophy.

Who was Krishna in your tradition?

Thanks for that. I have been reflecting on what universalism is and what it isn't and why it is so important.

Universalism is a theological and philosophical concept that some ideas have universal application or applicability. A community that calls itself universalist may emphasize the universal principles of most religions, and accept others in an inclusive manner. It is centered on the belief in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine.

Universalism - Wikipedia

Over the last century or so the world has become a global village. The reality for most people is multiculturalism. We share the same earth and her resources. Our prosperity is increasingly linked to a world economy. Many of our workmates, colleagues, friends and even family members are now likely to be from different cultures. It is the same sun that illuminates the earth and we breath the same atmosphere. Whether we are talking about eternal Dharma, ultimate reality or the social principles that would best facilitate harmonious relationships in a multicultural world, there is an underlying unity.

Religion can promote universalism but also head in the opposite direction towards tribalism. An us and them mentality can arise, where the outsider is shunned, seen as threat, viewed with suspicion, and assigned negative characteristics. It can be subtle or overt.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Better 'n telly? :)
Better 'n Walking Dead? :p

OK, I don't mind when @Revoltingest asks dreadfully high conflict questions like ''''Double or Triple expansion .... which was better' but he's just fond of dogfights.
But one can get feelings about some OPs. :D
Ahh the feels shouldn't get in the way of free entertainment. It's all just words at the end of the day. We can commiserate afterwards and make sure we're all okay.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Ahh the feels shouldn't get in the way of free entertainment. It's all just words at the end of the day. We can commiserate afterwards and make sure we're all okay.

Oh....... like playing 'snakes and ladders', or cards? Just for fun and no real resulting issues ?

Fair enough...... post away, or read away..... :D

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not a nationalist Hindutva follower. On the contrary I am opposed to them. But what of the following evil groups?

Joshua Project
https://missionindia.org

These projects are fuelled by imperialistic and hateful designs. why should every Hindu know of Jesus? What is the motivation behind these projects? Did Jesus give free license to all so-called Christians to spread their ignorance?

Jesus in His final sermon taught His followers to teach the Gospel or truth to all nations, as did Buddha and Muhammad.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Jesus in His final sermon taught His followers to teach the Gospel or truth to all nations, as did Buddha and Muhammad.
Hindus don't proselytize. We respect the beliefs of others enough to leave them alone. The two paradigms are just so very far apart, not just in philosophy, but in action. In many ways all of India is like the Sentilenese, we just want to be left alone. I wish people would respect that, but I guess it's just to much to ask.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Who said that (the historic) Yeshua taught that "to his followers"?
The Christian Church made it up.
Please don't claim that the historic Yeshua said things he did not say.

Almost all Christians revere the Gospels as a Divinely inspired account of the life and teachings of Christ.

From the Gospels of Mark and Matthew:

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Matthew 24:14

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:15

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Matthew 28:18-20

No Christian believes the Q-Lite are a true representation of what Christ taught. Marcion was rejected as a heretic in the second century.

Whether or not you are right and the entirety of Christianity is wrong about their own religion is another conversation.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hindus don't proselytize. We respect the beliefs of others enough to leave them alone. The two paradigms are just so very far apart, not just in philosophy, but in action. In many ways all of India is like the Sentilenese, we just want to be left alone. I wish people would respect that, but I guess it's just to much to ask.

Well I see sharing faith, peace love and justice as a wonderdul thing. Each person has their own mind and the majority are more than capable of using it.

If one chooses disdain, hate or even violence to stop this happening, what is the better path?

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well I see sharing faith, peace love and justice as a wonderdul thing. Each person has their own mind and the majority are more than capable of using it.

If one chooses disdain, hate or even violence to stop this happening, what is the better path?

Regards Tony
Nobody is choosing hate by asking to be left alone. That's a ridiculous and huge jump. My neighbours are Christian, and if my neighbour was a Baha'i, I'm sure we could get along amicably, provided he didn't preach at me every time he had the opportunity. If he did, I can't imagine inviting him over for coffee. I had a fundamentalist colleague, and I could time by my watch that within 5 minutes he's give me some derogatory shot about my faith. He had no respect at all. Many other fine Christians got along with me fine. Many fine but more liberal Christians do international aid, or local aid, and leave their religion out of it, and that's the Christian thing to do. Not that hard, really. When Hindu temples have charity wings, they treat everyone. The free eye hospital at Palani devasthanam gives freely to all, regardless of faith. There are no religious strings attached.

I am curious as to why we haven't heard from any Christians on here though. This thread is supposedly about Christianity AND Hinduism.