• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and Christianity

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hm. In the U.S. we're not cultural-diversity friendly. Even though we say we treat people equally, we dont. Native Indians arent seen as "U.S. Citizens" unless they agree to be recognized by the U.S. Federal Government. Of course you have minorities from gender, linguistic, racial, work status, to name a few. With religion, it is predominately christian. Not everyone is evangelist, but many people are highly conservative.

Of course, I havent been everywhere at once, but the only place I met a Hindu was when I visited their temple. The practitioners and their elder didnt speak English but where very very nice. If there is harmony, that's pretty much the consensus.

In the States, if you don't have the pronounced respect for people's culture in regards to identification and practice, its seen as discrimination and to others immoral. Its not the general consensus but if a Hindu was born and/or raised here or have American misinformation before they came over here, you can see the insults more than in a more universal country, I suppose.

There is a difference in regards to similarities in the States. We are a highly individualized country. Very competitive oriented. Very Me-people. Not negative just different values. So, for example, you know I like art. In America, if I stole someone else's work and copyrighted it to my own, Im breaking the law. Its not universal but we focus on what makes us unique.

Once you watercolor it with rays ;) you're on a sticky slope of stepping on someone else's (or their community as a whole) identity.

To have some sort of harmony, it cant be just with people who have to be universal. Social harmony, maybe. However, cultural and spiritual? If one culture isnt universal and the other is, how can they be in harmony unless either its environmental and respect or one of us have to compromise our sense of identity for the whole.

Universalize doesnt fix anything anymore than us finding ourselves unique and loved in our differences. Im sure there is some harmony, but I know in the States, universalist wont cut it. Our UU Church broke away from The Church (or the Church decapitated them) because the UU felt all people should worship under the same roof but what makes them distinct is they welcome all people in all walks of life.

But, this happened because our religions wanted to keep their own identity rather than compromise for the wellbeing of the whole.

To me, it is not negative to have our personal and individual views. No one better than the other. Just, the States take that to their advantage without us laypeople having a say beyond our voting ballets, parades, and charities.

The US appears a very different beast to the country I live in. You guys appear polarised and issues to do with race and religion part of a volatile political terrain. Individualism is fine but if taken to an extreme community and unity are sacrificed. How about unity in diversity and social cohesion? That's multiculturalism after all. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The US appears a very different beast to the country I live in. You guys appear polarised and issues to do with race and religion part of a volatile political terrain. Individualism is fine but if taken to an extreme community and unity are sacrificed. How about unity in diversity and social cohesion? That's multiculturalism after all. :)

I can see that. We have diversity in unity but it lean towards diversity rather than similarity.

So, for example, the UU doesnt come together because of similarities. They come together because they celebrate their differences.

In a like-minded environment (not theology), everyone would agree to sing one song, in this case it was a Christmas one; however,because of the diversity oriented, the pastor took the god-language out and opted to commune with the wishes of the people first and their theology (was once part of The Church) second.

That's why it is attractive to many people here. One person can believe in the christian god and the person beside her a wiccan and still worship together without a common theological foundation.

So, universalism in the states is pretty different. In my opinion, it seems more of a political and religious backlash since not many people are comfortable with dogma and have issues with The Church are in universalist type churches.

So.

Universalist come together because of their differences. What makes them come together is because they celebrate their differences in an accepting church and the theology supports each persons theology (christian, wiccan, atheist, etc) because it is not governed by one god (as bahai is, one god) or one theological principle just one people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hinduism is a diverse collection of religions. Variety is well tolerated. Traditionally, there's no reason Christianity couldn't exist side by side with Hinduism, but Christianity gets pushy. On first contact, during the Raj, it set itself apart as a sort of superior caste. Today, I think, the major objection stems from its proselytizing. Hindus object to their sons and daughters being alienated from their families by Christian churches.

ajay0

You can find Hindu and Dharmic views, including mine, on Jesus Christ in this thread .....

How should we view Jesus in the Dharmic Religions?

The ancient Silk Route connected ancient Israel and ancient India, which included modern Afghanistan too at that point of time. Anyone could reach the other place in a few months by hitchhiking the numerous merchant wagons passing in this ancient route.

So we are practically neighbors then.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
You can find Hindu and Dharmic views, including mine, on Jesus Christ in this thread .....

How should we view Jesus in the Dharmic Religions?

The ancient Silk Route connected ancient Israel and ancient India, which included modern Afghanistan too at that point of time. Anyone could reach the other place in a few months by hitchhiking the numerous merchant wagons passing in this ancient route.

So we are practically neighbors then.

The thread 'How should we view Jesus in the Dharmic religions?' was particularly useful. You understood what I was l looking for very nicely. Christians are my close brothers and sisters so I am intimately acquainted with their diverse opinions. Hindus are my brothers and sisters too but I am not so familiar with your diversity of worldviews. The thread had the full range of perspectives on Jesus. At one end of the spectrum we have Jesus as a Taggatha or Boddhisattva in Buddhism or an incarnation of the Divine like Krishna. At the other end we have profound antipathy and disdain towards His Holiness Christ. Another view is that it is he didn't exist or it doesn't matter whether He did exist or didn't.

I know where you stand and your views are appreciated.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
The historical Yeshua was a Tantric and the spiritual heart or undertow of Hinduism is mostly Tantric, so on that level there is perfect harmony.
Of course both Hinduism and Christianity have many irrational (non-Tantric) aspects and on that level there will be much more disharmony for those who tend to think on this level.
So you cannot say anything in general, it all depends on the levels people move along.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The historical Yeshua was a Tantric and the spiritual heart or undertow of Hinduism is mostly Tantric, so on that level there is perfect harmony.
Of course both Hinduism and Christianity have many irrational (non-Tantric) aspects and on that level there will be much more disharmony for those who tend to think on this level.
So you cannot say anything in general, it all depends on the levels people move along.

At least your worldview attempts to bring some consistency as to what other great religious teachers outside your tradition taught.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I was reflecting on the differences and similarities between Hinduism and Christianity then came across a Christian apologetic's website:
Begging your pardon, but I would strongly suggest that you were not reflecting upon anything.
You were searching out any areas of contention between Hindus and Christians, maybe?

Bible Questions Answered

and a specific item

I am a Hindu, why should I consider becoming a Christian?

It is probably no suprise the author(s) are critical of Hinduism and favour Christianity.

There we go! So you found what you were looking for....... no reflection needed. Ok.... so, moving on....

So I wondered how Hindus view of Christianity given India was the jewel in the crown of the British Empire. I have certainty encountered passionate anti-Christian and anti-Abrahamic sentiment amongst Hindus on RF that certainly matches if not exceeds negative attitudes from Christians towards Hinduism. On the other hand I've met both Hindus and Christians who have a very universal and inclusive outlook.
.....and so you would like to hear what they have to say to each other here?

Insightful? The above article was...... Insightful?

I'm neither Christian, nor Hindu but wondered about the relationship between the two religions these days. Do the two religions coexist in harmony? If not, why not? What is your experience of attitudes of Hindus and Christians towards the other?
You wondered.......... no hopes for a few pages of heated and aggressive posts between the two religions, then?

You just wondered, eh?
How peaceful.......

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Begging your pardon, but I would strongly suggest that you were not reflecting upon anything.
You were searching out any areas of contention between Hindus and Christians, maybe?

There we go! So you found what you were looking for....... no reflection needed. Ok.... so, moving on....

.....and so you would like to hear what they have to say to each other here?

Insightful? The above article was...... Insightful?

You wondered.......... no hopes for a few pages of heated and aggressive posts between the two religions, then?

You just wondered, eh?
How peaceful.......
To be fair, doesn't everyone have a guilty glimmer of hope that a bloodbath will ensue from these types of posts? I mean it's better than television. I mean I don't want conflicts to occur of course. But on the other hand I say pass the popcorn.

Marcion

At least your worldview attempts to bring some consistency as to what other great religious teachers outside your tradition taught.
There is hardly any consistency to be found outside Tantra, because Tantra is based mostly on practical experiences (experimentation) and the rest is based on opinions and imaginations. Not all the well-known teachers were equally Tantric though, so their greatness is debatable.

But not all the Tantric teachings in Christianity go back to the historical Yeshua, there is some Tantric teaching in the Old Testament and Paul also.
Generally speaking though most of Hinduism is ideologically more Tantric than Christianity is.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Universalism shouldn't be conflated with tolerance. A universalist Hindu can be (not saying all are) just as intolerant of other views as a fundamentalist. If you view 'I'm right and you're wrong' as the basics of fundamentalism, it can be seen in universalism.

I was a founding member of our traditional South Indian/ Sri Lankan temple here. In the beginning stages we more or less invited any Hindu to join, so we could get more ideas. One fellow from the already established temple in town came one night and proceeded to belittle us, and inform us of how we needed to build a temple, that we 'needed' a picture of Christ, and of Ramakrishna, a Mahavira, a Nanak, etc. Most of us were quite taken aback at his condescending nature. His version of 'Delhi' Hinduism, and ours weren't similar at all. It would be like a Catholic church board asking a Pentecostal preacher to come and help. But finally one of our wiser folks stared him down and said "Why in the world would we build a temple like that? This city already has one just like the one you're describing."

This city has 12 temples, and counting. I have been to most of them. I'm the staunch traditionalist, but I also practice Hindu Solidarity, and by extension, human solidarity. the belief we're in it together That man never showed his face in our temple again ... even over 40 years. He won't go to a temple who is 'doing it all wrong'. He's the universalist. So I ask, 'who is the tolerant one?'

I have Christian friends. My dentist is Christian. We talk, we discuss, he doesn't preach. On this forum, I would consider @Katzpur a friend, or at least a friendly person, of the Christian faith. There are more. I've hosted students from the Baptist College, the University, from a Lutheran college, at out temple. We are not enemies of Christianity.

The disagreements in India, and elsewhere, isn't in philosophy, it's a result of action. And as someone said earlier, mainly proselytizing that caused harm amongst families, or just unethical deceptive stuff like connecting conversion to feeding programs in poor areas. I think anybody would be upset if anything upset their family harmony. But philosophically differences are also there, but they don't matter. Hindus are horridly used to philosophical differences. We;ve been dealing with that vast array for millenia. Adding a couple more is small change.

India is totally secular. It has large minority communities, many who having sought refuge there from other places.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
To be fair, doesn't everyone have a guilty glimmer of hope that a bloodbath will ensue from these types of posts? I mean it's better than television. I mean I don't want conflicts to occur of course. But on the other hand I say pass the popcorn.
Better 'n telly? :)
Better 'n Walking Dead? :p

OK, I don't mind when @Revoltingest asks dreadfully high conflict questions like ''''Double or Triple expansion .... which was better' but he's just fond of dogfights.
But one can get feelings about some OPs. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I've observed the same. This all started about 2 weeks back, in a 'fight fire with fire' mentality. It was originally a response to attack Iranian Muslims, but has since extended to anyone who points out any discrepancies in the Baha'i faith, like you or me. This thread is for me, I know, but oh well. I responded as sensibly I could. Now I'll sit back and watch again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Better 'n telly? :)
Better 'n Walking Dead? :p

OK, I don't mind when @Revoltingest asks dreadfully high conflict questions like ''''Double or Triple expansion .... which was better' but he's just fond of dogfights.
I even tolerate single expansion.
All of my engines are.
Hmmm....I need more diversity.

Marcion

The disagreements in India, and elsewhere, isn't in philosophy, it's a result of action. And as someone said earlier, mainly proselytizing that caused harm amongst families, or just unethical deceptive stuff like connecting conversion to feeding programs in poor areas. I think anybody would be upset if anything upset their family harmony. But philosophically differences are also there, but they don't matter. Hindus are horridly used to philosophical differences. We;ve been dealing with that vast array for millenia. Adding a couple more is small change.

India is totally secular. It has large minority communities, many who having sought refuge there from other places.
But if India is indeed totally secular, then why bother at all with which ideology people choose? Why is it wrong of people within one family to choose a different ideology and practice from the rest of the family?
And the link between social service and pracar is a natural one, people are more easily attracted by good deeds and e.g. the good vibes of public kiirtana.
The only thing I would object to is the spread of dogmatic fundamentalist ideologies that create antagonistic tendencies towards "outsiders".

Last edited:

Shantanu

But if India is indeed totally secular, then why bother at all with which ideology people choose? Why is it wrong of people within one famiy to choose a different ideology and practice from the rest of the family?
And the link between social service and pracar is a natural one, people are more easily attracted by good deeds and e.g. the good vibes of public kiirtana.
The only thing I would object to is the spread of dogmatic fundamentalist ideologies that create antagonistic tendencies towards "outsiders".
There is a genetic factor at play here: birds of a feather flock together.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But if India is indeed totally secular, then why bother at all with which ideology people choose? Why is it wrong of people within one famiy to choose a different ideology and practice from the rest of the family?

The problems arise when the new convert gets radical about it, and for example comes home preaching, or learns how to belittle the old religion. It can be very hurtful. Love evangelism as well. It's an insult to tradition, and sometimes done quite purposefully. Did you know that some door to door proselytizers actually read obituaries so they can move in on people at a very vulnerable time in their lives? That's the kind of stuff people object to. Not the guy who studies another religion on his own volition, or marries his sweetie, and converts to keep religious harmony in a family.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've observed the same. This all started about 2 weeks back, in a 'fight fire with fire' mentality. It was originally a response to attack Iranian Muslims, but has since extended to anyone who points out any discrepancies in the Baha'i faith, like you or me. This thread is for me, I know, but oh well. I responded as sensibly I could. Now I'll sit back and watch again.
OMG .!!!
I'm next!
Ummmm...... Hmmmmm.....
How can Deists honestly pretend to be Atheists?
Or.......
Why are all Deists such perves? (True dat)
Or......
Scientific research finds that Deists are really difficult patients (True dat n all) discuss....

:p