• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism and Alcohol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here is a link to what I thought was an excellent article. A Hindu View on Drinking Alcohol | Hindu Human Rights Online News Magazine

We have no outright ban, but at the same time recognise the dangers ... to health, to society, to family life. There is some in Hindu society, but generally a lot less that in some western subcultures.

As it came up on another thread, I'd start a new one. On a personal note, I have nothing against the very occasional drink, but getting bombed, being irresponsible, etc. would just be another of the many layers of anava.

Thoughts??

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
My opinion about this has to do with the modes of nature: goodness, passion an ignorance. Activities that promote the consciousness to fall into the modes of passion and ignorance should be avoided as much as possible for one who takes their spiritual practice seriously.

The occasional drink isn't going to make a person fall deeply into ignorance. I think it's fine.

On the other hand, I am overall against the consumption of alcohol on a macrocosmic level. I don't like the drinking culture that is rampant around the world. Causes far too much damage to society.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Thanks for posting.

Like most things of this nature I subscribe to a policy of "most things in moderation". (there are things that even when used once can kill you - like cocaine)

I think It's a question of "know thyself." I have a rule for myself which is I am not allowed to drink alcohol when I am sad, angry or experiencing any other kind of negative emotion, because I know that booze offers the illusion of relief and therefore it's possible to trick oneself into thinking that all you need is another glass/bottle of wine and everything will be fine.

I do occasional enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day and I don't feel like there is harm in this. I don't drink until I am done working for the day, and I certainly don't drink if I'm planning on meditating or doing a puja. But this is all dependent on my personal sense of self control. Some people are more inclined towards addictive tendencies and some people just don't like to cope with negative emotions and they'd rather soak them in booze to forget.

So I agree with the author in that whether or not a Hindu indulges in alcohol is a very personal issue and has to be assessed on a case by case basis.

Shanti :camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally I haven't touched the stuff in a few years. I like the occasional Sam Adams every few years, but no more than one or two. Besides, being brewed with barley, that's out of the question now. I don't like wine (except sangria), and I detest hard liquor. I'm not missing anything.

Me Myself

Back to my username
When I drink I generally like to drink a lot or as much is around (unless we are talking like a chat with wine)

That said, I consciously limit such things to not happen often. Last year I had spent the entire year without going drunk even once when a friend told me this while we were drinking and I decided I was definetely going to get drunk :D

I guess my moderation is one of the extremes. I limit myself to drink only rarely, but if I am drinking, I AM DRINKING. :D

Thats the way I like it and I think it is reasonable. I aslo only drink that way with people I know in relatively "safe" enviroments. Never passed out or lost memories. (Well, not lost more memories than usual :D)

Funny thing is people dont tend to notice when I am drunk. It must have something to do with people believing I am drunk(or drugged) wheI am completely sobber.

So... When I am drunk I am ma little clumsy, big smile on face and I say things I really shouldnt say... So my usual WTF sober self :eek:.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm dumb enough as it is without making myself dumber. Besides, it's a headache pill here.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not to mention that alcohol and my meds don't play nicely in the sandbox.

Alcohol, in moderation, is fairly benign. It's the social stigmas that are usually more problematic than the effects - repression in society creates a countertrend - people end up using alcohol and other substances for the wrong reasons, in the wrong environments, with the wrong approach, etc.

Alcohol approached moderately & 'properly,' e.g. in line with the shastra, is not problematic - both for general use, and as an aid to sadhana. In tantra, the use of alcohol is called for, both in the context of the panchamakara - the literal application of which is considered vamachara (LHP), or in other applications not necessarily classified as vamachara. Siddhanta, kaula, etc. -chara will apply both the vamachara practices and others tangentially related.

However, these practices are NOT recommended for people who are not initiated in such a tradition, with the active guidance of a guru. Alcohol can help create the conditions for superlative meditation, however it can also open the aspirant to undesirable influences and render them vulnerable at inopportune moments.

Serious downfalls can result. So, in conclusion, alcohol for general use - approached moderately, with respect, is fine if it accords with the shastras held up by one's school. Some smritis are deadset against it, in the harshest possible terms, eg. 'even the taste of wine destroys one's line' etc.

A common believe, among Vaishnavas & Tantrikas, is that wine is thrice cursed. Tantrikas believe that the curse, once removed, renders wine a sacred substance to be used accordingly. For example, here in the Mahanirvana Tantra:

Mahanirvana Tantra Of The Great Liberation - Arthur Avalon - Google Books

Again, one is not to do so without a guru's guidance, as wine relaxes the inner restraints - in a way that can lead to positive unfoldment, but also without the protection of mantra - true kavacha, can also lead to great dangers.

Last edited:

Maya3

Thanks for posting.

Like most things of this nature I subscribe to a policy of "most things in moderation". (there are things that even when used once can kill you - like cocaine)

I think It's a question of "know thyself." I have a rule for myself which is I am not allowed to drink alcohol when I am sad, angry or experiencing any other kind of negative emotion, because I know that booze offers the illusion of relief and therefore it's possible to trick oneself into thinking that all you need is another glass/bottle of wine and everything will be fine.

I do occasional enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day and I don't feel like there is harm in this. I don't drink until I am done working for the day, and I certainly don't drink if I'm planning on meditating or doing a puja. But this is all dependent on my personal sense of self control. Some people are more inclined towards addictive tendencies and some people just don't like to cope with negative emotions and they'd rather soak them in booze to forget.

So I agree with the author in that whether or not a Hindu indulges in alcohol is a very personal issue and has to be assessed on a case by case basis.

Shanti :camp:

My thoughts and practice also.

Maya

bp789

The tradition I belong to views alcohol in a very negative light, but I notice among other Hindu parents they have nothing against the occasional drink or two. Nothing's wrong in moderation for those that drink. I am a university student, and I have noticed among my fellow Hindus, both within and outside my tradition, experimenting since they're out of the house for the first time, so they're experimenting with alcohol and weed, along with other things, and it varies from sobriety to occasional drink to getting drunk out of their minds during parties. Not exactly a big fan of the last one.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
"The drinking culture" is what bums me out for sure.

I enjoy good beer, but not more than two, over a time.

I've made some friends at the bars, so I thought.

But it turns out all they want to do it drinkdrinkdrinkdrink.

It's impossible to get them to do anything that isn't centred around drinking,
and for them, being drunk.

Drinking isn't an 'activity', to me.

So these 'friendships' are pretty distant.

It's really no different for me with 'Stoner' culture.
Sitting around, stoned, playing video games :rolleyes:

This shed some light on that substance and some friendships for me too.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

To be honest, being around someone else who is drinking "scares" me -- not in the sense that I then become untrustful of the other party (which could be the case depending on circumstance), but more in the sense that it changes our relationship and in affecting the mind it increases the chances of a "mistake" in communications where not only the drinker may error but also that I will be misunderstood and "hurt the feelings" or "insult" the other party as a result of a chemical that may make the balance of communication and sentiment unreal.

Om Namah Sivaya