• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu website

ajay0

That's good to know, but please note I am interested in understanding the "big picture" at this stage, and not just the ideas of one school or sub-school.
So for example, clear explanations about the practical differences between dual and non-dual philosophies (I do realise its not a dichotomy!).

How's this for a bigger picture !

Hinduism deals with the expansion of consciousness through yoga ( jnana, bhakti, raja,karma) and inculcation of divine virtues and qualities.

Nihilism and existentialists state that virtues and values are abstractly contrived with no relevance of their own, whereas eastern philosophy states that adherence to virtues and positive values results in expansion of consciousness and is a form of yoga and austerity in itself.

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. - Rajini Menon

“When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always.” - Swami Satchidananda

This is one of the distinguishing charecterestics of Hinduism and eastern philosophy.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Click this link: A History Of Indian Philosophy Vol-i : Dasgupta Surendranath : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Or check for the site Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine and then make a search either by his name 'Surendranath Dasgupta' or the name of the book 'A History of Indian Philosophy' Vol.1.

These links are still not working. Maybe the problem is at my end, though everything else seems to be working OK.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For @Meerkat and anybody else interested in it, here is the Chpater X on "Vedanta" (the whole 59 pages of it) of Surendranath Dasgupta's "A History of India Philosophy" (Sorry for the lack of formatting). I will check if I can improve it.

Read "/r^/^^/^i" as "pramātā". Let me know when there are any more such problems.

Attachments

• Sankara.pdf
    178.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
For @Meerkat and anybody else interested in it, here is the Chpater X on "Vedanta" (the whole 59 pages of it) of Surendranath Dasgupta's "A History of India Philosophy" (Sorry for the lack of formatting). I will check if I can improve it.

Read "/r^/^^/^i" as "pramātā". Let me know when there are any more such problems.

Thanks for that. For some reason your earlier links still aren't working at my end, but I have now managed to download the book (Volume 1?) from another site, and will have a read. It looks interesting.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is nice.

The last sentence in Surendranath Dasgupta's write-up on Vedanta:
"I am led to think that Sankara's philosophy is largely a compound of Vijnanavada and Sunyavada Buddhism with the Upanisad notion of the permanence of self superadded."

Last edited: