• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu: The fallacy of 'Hinduism'

Surya Deva

I did not say that you are Christian. I said that you act like a missionary. Telling everyone that they are wrong, superstitious and that Hinduism is a mess.
Telling everyone here that their way of worshiping is wrong and only your way is right.

I have not really told anybody they are personally wrong. I have only criticized philosophies and ideas. On the contrary, I am constantly being personally told I am wrong, such as just now:

And how many times we have to tell you that your views on Advaita is wrong, advaita is theistic not atheistic and you were advised to find an atheistic religion and stop preaching us as to what hinduism or advaita is. Gods are important and you just can't do away with them like that.

I think this qualifies more as preaching than anything I say. I usually reason all my points, offer reason and evidence to back my points up. Indeed, isn't that you are suppose to do in a debate?

If you truly want to debate, you should be able to get your point across and still respect that others have different views than you.

Things like this is pretty standard on internet discussion forums: "You see it that way? Interesting, I feel it should be like this. How do you feel about this?
What is your opinion on this? I feel like this."

I have already stated in this thread and elsewhere that I have no problem that you have different beliefs/ideas/philosophies to mine, and I fully respect your right to form your own beliefs/ideas/philosophies. That does not mean I am going to agree with it or accept it as valid?

A debate is not a discussion where I am here to inquire about your beliefs/ideas/philosophies. A debate is where I hold a position which I am attempting to prove and you hold your own counter position. If I accept your position is equally valid to mine, why the heck would we debate in the first place?

Instead of: "You are wrong, you are superstitious. Hinduism is a mess. Indian Hindus may be prefer to be ignorant about it. Your belief is invalid."

Notice no one else on this forum says things like that. It is rude, pure and simple.

Maya

I don't talk like that either. You are misrepresenting how I argue and setting up a strawman fallacy.

Btw, I noticed again your post is completely personal and not really about the topic itself. I will repeat a point I made in my previous post to you which you did not respond it, and would like your refutation/response:

I refute this with one single word: Shankara Shankara did not respect different beliefs and did not accept any tradition other than Advaita. He actively seeked and participated in debates where he attempted to destroy the other person's philosophy/beliefs and convert them to his own. Shankara is regarded as one of the greatest Hindu philosophers and saints of all time.

If you do get the chance please read Shankara's deconstruction of rival philosophies/ideas he is very clinical in how he goes about disproving their philosophy and reducing them to absurdity.

Last edited:

Pleroma

philalethist
The reality is obviously very different :yes: Hinduism exists as one of the most fragmented religions in the world, if not the most fragmented religion. There is no single comprehensive doctrine, no single accepted canon, no single accepted founder, no single set of beliefs and practices, no single overarching organization. The history of Hinduism is one characterized by fierce verbal violence, debate and sporadic physical violence. What happens when all these disparate sects of Hinduism come together in one gathering?

This violence continues up until modern times:

Stampede - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hence we can clearly see that this notion of Hinduism's unity and peaceful and tolerant nature is a myth. I tell an inconvenient truth, but a truth which is far better than deluding oneself with ideas like Hinduism is united and peaceful. By telling this inconvenient truth I am waking Hindu people up, showing them the naked reality of Hinduism and stirring them to reform. Of course not overtly, for I have no interest to mobilize and galvanize Hindus into action. I am running no campaign here. I am simply stating my own case for what the reality of Hinduism is.

Who said Hinduism is about peace and tolerance? No, it establishes the Dharma for everyone, a kshatriya must wage war and kill people in the battle field and similarly a Brahmin must pray for the good of the whole community. This has been carried in our blood for centuries, there is no lies, no one is fighting between each other with in Hinduism. Everyone listen to the pravachana of Bhagvad Gita and everyone clarifies their doubts by writing letters to a well known scholar who answers them and guides them in the adyathmic way of life. Everything is fine and perfect.

All Hindus are One.

Ahem, I am part of that culture ;) It is silly to make such overgeneralizing statements that a tantric who wanders in the graveyard knows more about Hinduism than anybody. I met such tantriks when I was in India, and some of them were scoundarals and criminals and in a developed country would be considered substance-abusers. In fact one of them attempted to entice me by trying to sell me drugs, and then pretended he had selected me as his disciple for giving me secret tantric knowledge, and then tried to get me to meet him in early hours of morning in a secluded place......(I shiver as to what his intentions were)

I had very romantic ideas about gurus, sadhus, swamis etc like you do, until I experienced the ground reality in India. Simply put, just because somebody is a guru, sadhu, swami etc is no proof of their enlightenment, piety or knowledge.

Its not my problem if you believed in them without testing them and that doesn't mean that there aren't good tantrics out there who can rise dead people and give them life to kill a specific person. This is Hinduism. How many of you with all your Phds can bring a dead person back to life.

Surya Deva

no one is fighting between each other with in Hinduism

Yes they are, did you ignore this part of my reply to you:

1690: Saivites and Vaishnava sects battle at Nashik; 60,000 are killed.
1760 Saiva sannyasis fight Vaishnava vairagis in tragic battle at Hardwar Kumbha Mela; 18,000 monks are killed.
1796 Over two million worshipers compete for sacred Ganga bath at Kumbha Mela in Hardwar. Five thousand Saiva ascetics are killed in tragic clash with Sikh ascetics.​

]Everyone listen to the pravachana of Bhagvad Gita and everyone clarifies their doubts by writing letters to a well known scholar who answers them and guides them in the adyathmic way of life.
]

Not really, the Shaivas and Shaktists do not really consider the Bhagvad Gita all that important and read their Agamas and Tantras. Some Shiavists and Shaktists explicitly deny the Vedas.

Its not my problem if you believed in them without testing them and that doesn't mean that there aren't good tantrics out there who can rise dead people and give them life to kill a specific person. This is Hinduism.

You are playing the shifting the goal post fallacy now. In your previous post you made an overgeneralizing statement that "A tantrik who wanders in a graveyard knows more than me and all Phd's put together" I disproved your statement by citing examples of tantriks who are criminals/scounderals and now you shift your position to: real tantriks vs fake tantriks.

So my argument stands that simply being a tantrik(or a sadhu/guru/swami/traditional scholar) is no proof of enlightenment, piety or knowledge.

How many of you with all your Phds can bring a dead person back to life.

Please provide credible and falsifiable evidence of a tantrik that has brought a dead person back to life.

For the record: I did not believe in a single one of them. I only accept things after careful and rational consideration of the evidence. This Tantrik was offering to be my guru and I rejected him on the grounds that he had dubious character.

Last edited:

Pleroma

philalethist
Yes they are, did you ignore this part of my reply to you:

1690: Saivites and Vaishnava sects battle at Nashik; 60,000 are killed.
1760 Saiva sannyasis fight Vaishnava vairagis in tragic battle at Hardwar Kumbha Mela; 18,000 monks are killed.
1796 Over two million worshipers compete for sacred Ganga bath at Kumbha Mela in Hardwar. Five thousand Saiva ascetics are killed in tragic clash with Sikh ascetics.​

The battle between Saivites and Vaishnava sects is historical, its nothing new and let there be Saivites and Vaishnava in and around us, what's your problem? They don't want Advaita siddhi, they want to see god as separate from them, let them see it that way. I see no problem, hinduism gives everyone what he or she wants, that's the beauty of Hinduism. Let them worship Vishnu and let them worship Shiva, what the heck is your problem?

Not really, the Shaivas and Shaktists do not really consider the Bhagvad Gita all that important and read their Agamas and Tantras. Some Shiavists and Shaktists explicitly deny the Vedas.

Rudra is an important diety in the Vedas and if anyone denies it then they are fools. Yes for shaivaites its Shiva puruna, for shaktists its Devi puruna and its wrong to deny the existence of these gods. If you want to be an hindu or an Advaiti accept the existence of these gods and these sects otherwise you're not a Hindu or an advaiti.

You are playing the shifting the goal post fallacy now. In your previous post you made an overgeneralizing statement that "A tantrik who wanders in a graveyard knows more than me and all Phd's put together" I disproved your statement by citing examples of tantriks who are criminals/scounderals and now you shift your position to: real tantriks vs fake tantriks.

So my argument stands that simply being a tantrik(or a sadhu/guru/swami/traditional scholar) is no proof of enlightenment, piety or knowledge.

You yourself said that the persons whom you met were scoundrels and murderes and not tantrics and so my argument still stands.

Please provide credible and falsifiable evidence of a tantrik that has brought a dead person back to life.

Yes, read "Kashmora" by Vamshi, it is based on a real account.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear sureya deva ,
I have not really told anybody they are personally wrong. I have only criticized philosophies and ideas. On the contrary, I am constantly being personally told I am wrong, such as just now:

no you have just repeatedly said that other paths are in valid and that yours is the valid path . ... that my freind is tantamount to saying other paths are wrong and that yours is right .

A debate is not a discussion where I am here to inquire about your beliefs/ideas/philosophies. A debate is where I hold a position which I am attempting to prove and you hold your own counter position. If I accept your position is equally valid to mine, why the heck would we debate in the first place?

yes this is a debate , and I have allready put forward the proposition that one may still regard anothers tradition and veiw point as valid without having to addopt it oneself one can accept that many veiw pints are symultaniously valid ! it is this point I debate with you , but I notice that you fail to reply on this point .

Quote:
Instead of: "You are wrong, you are superstitious. Hinduism is a mess. Indian Hindus may be prefer to be ignorant about it. Your belief is invalid."

Notice no one else on this forum says things like that. It is rude, pure and simple.

Maya

I don't talk like that either. You are misrepresenting how I argue and setting up a strawman fallacy.

sorry prabhu , you may not talk like that word for word , but I am affraid to say that this is the way you come accross .

If you do get the chance please read Shankara's deconstruction of rival philosophies/ideas he is very clinical in how he goes about disproving their philosophy and reducing them to absurdity.

I would be not only interested to read this but allso to know what kind of rival he was aiming to defeat ?

Maya3

[\quote]

Actually SD and Ratikala, I copied and pasted what SD said.

Maya

Surya Deva

The battle between Saivites and Vaishnava sects is historical, its nothing new and let there be Saivites and Vaishnava in and around us, what's your problem? They don't want Advaita siddhi, they want to see god as separate from them, let them see it that way. I see no problem, hinduism gives everyone what he or she wants, that's the beauty of Hinduism. Let them worship Vishnu and let them worship Shiva, what the heck is your problem?

You just said in the previous post:

no one is fighting between each other with in Hinduism

And now you say

The battle between Saivites and Vaishnava sects is historical, its nothing new

You just contradicted what you said earlier.

Rudra is an important diety in the Vedas and if anyone denies it then they are fools.

So now you are saying that Shaiva and Shaktas sects that deny the Vedas and accept the Agamas as their authority are not real Hindus? (Read no true scotsman fallacy below)

If you want to be an hindu or an Advaiti accept the existence of these gods and these sects otherwise you're not a Hindu or an advaiti.

Advaita does not accept the real-existence of god/s. They are considered products of maya/prakriti and ultimately unreal.

You yourself said that the persons whom you met were scoundrels and murderes and not tantrics and so my argument still stands.

Nope, I said that they were tantriks who were scoundrels(possibly murderers, I wonder to this day what that tantrik would have done to me if I had gone to meet him, human sacrifice?)

The fallacy you are playing now is the No True Scotsman fallacy:

No true Scotsman is an informal logical fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim, rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule.

he use of the term was advanced by British philosopher Antony Flew:
Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".[2]
When the statement "all A are B" is qualified like this to exclude those A which are not B, this is a form of begging the question; the conclusion is assumed by the definition of "true A".

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, read "Kashmora" by Vamshi, it is based on a real account.

Okay, I will look into it and get back to you :)

Last edited:

Surya Deva

[\quote]

Actually SD and Ratikala, I copied and pasted what SD said.

Maya

In that case copy and paste the original post where I have said that and link that post here directly.

Surya Deva

no you have just repeatedly said that other paths are invalid and that yours is the valid path . ... that my freind is tantamount to saying other paths are wrong and that yours is right .

Yes, there is nothing wrong with having your own philosophy/viewpoint. I am not a religious pluralist. An atheist holds the position there is no gods, so they are not going to consider any philosophy that has the position that there are gods to be equally valid to theirs. A materialist hold the position that everything is made out of matter, so they are not going to consider any philosophy that says everything is made out of consciousness to be valid. Similarly, my position is Advaita, so I am not going to consider your own Vaishnava position to be valid.

yes this is a debate , and I have allready put forward the proposition that one may still regard anothers tradition and veiw point as valid without having to addopt it oneself one can accept that many veiw pints are symultaniously valid ! it is this point I debate with you , but I notice that you fail to reply on this point

It is not a debate if I consider your position equally valid to mine. It is only debate if our positions are opposing:

de·bate/diˈbāt/
Noun:
A formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.​

I would be not only interested to read this but allso to know what kind of rival he was aiming to defeat ?

He defeated every rival that was non-Advaitin in India at the time: This includes all schools of Buddhism, all other Hindu schools of philosophy, Jains, Charvakan, Bhagvatas.

I will try to find you citations of some of his arguments. One of his arguments against the Jain relativist philosophy which accepted all truths to be equally valid is particularly notesworthy given our discussion: He likened the philosophy to be confusion and madness, not being able to arrive at any single truth or conclusion, and self-defeating.

Actually, not only Shankara, but every Hindu school of philosophy was in the habit of debating and destroying the others philosophy/viewpoint and converting them through debate. In Abrahamic religions while conversions were done primarily through physical violence, in 'Hinduism' it was done through debate. Debate in India was not just a Hindu institution, but a secular institution where Hindus and non-Hindus debated with one another. Some of these debates use to go on for days and were spectator events.

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

Surya Deva;3069432]Hinduism cannot be united anymore than the hypothetical religion 'Abrahamism' can be united, because Hinduism is religious classification which attempts to unite disparate belief systems....................

All you are suggesting is your view of Hinduism compared to the Abrahamic sects. You don't need to have anything in common with any other Hindu, that is the whole purpose of Hinduism.
Every individual has a right to there own beliefs.

The nation state of India did not exist until the British united it under the British Raj. This is clearly a fact and nobody can deny this. Prior to that the entity known as 'India' throughout its known history from the janapradas to the Mughal and Maratha empire, India has mainly existed as a collection of different kingdoms, with different kings and queens, which have constantly been at war with each other. For very brief periods certain Indian kingdoms have established empires which have united large tracts of Indian land, the largest of which were the Mauraya empire and the Maratha empire.

Again, looking at Indian History as told by invaders and people who intended division in the first place, as i said the words Bharat and Aryavarta just proves you incorrect.

The sad fact is that India never really stabilized as a single geographic body or political entity like many European countries did(under the influence of Christianity) or many Arabic countries did(under the influence of Islam) or entire China did(under the influence of Confucianism) and Hinduism can indeed be squarely blamed for this for no single comprehensive religion originated in India that could unite India, and hence why India existed as a fragmented entity.

Again, judging India according to other beliefs and cultures is not correct, as i said the words Bharat and Aryavarta disprove your theory.

No, on the contrary I am saying to save 'Hinduism' we must get rid of India's association with it, else Hinduism will be regarded, as it is by many in the world as the religion of a poor third world country. This is why I propose that we emphasis Vedantic(Advaita) Hinduism as true Hinduism and use that to unite all Hindus in the world. Vedantic Hinduism is a religion that is compatible with a 21st century scientific world, as many scientists and philosophers in modern times have demonstrated by appreciating it. Vedantic Hinduism does have common doctrines which can unify it:

Ahh, in other words you are parroting the belief of the British, when they decided that the great Philosophy and Vedas could not have come from backward brown skin people, so they theorised the AIT.
While doing so you cant remove the place that the Vedantic philosophy took birth, it was India not any other country.

1) When and who founded the religion? Vedantic Hiduism was founded by the Risis of the Upanishads in 1000BCE and then developed in the Jnana tradition that developed from it where all the core concepts were formulated.

Upanishads are just the end part of the Aryanaka and Brahmana works, they are not revealed scriptures. the rishis were just trying to understand the Vedas.

You are just picking up the Upanishads without Knowing what the Upanishads are.

And how would you prove this?

2) Who is the god of the religion? There is no God per se, but rather what is called God is the result of ignorance by superimposing the qualities of the Self/Atman Brahman on Maya. The supreme principle is Brahman/Self which is an impersonal absolute reality, not God.

Its not a religion then. If there is no God, its not technically a religion, its a Spiritual Philosophy.

3) How did creation happen? There is in fact no creation, what we perceive to be creation is mere empirical reality of name and form, whose substratum is the Maya, a field of consciousness. It is due to our ignorance or perceptual error that we perceive this empirical reality.

Alright, lest see how infallible this religion is,

First Define Maya.

4) What is the cause of suffering? Suffering is the result of the misidentification of consciousness with the products of Maya(matter) resulting in consciousness become bound(bondage) and and projected into the empirical world as a local finite consciousness(jiva) who falsely believes it is the intellect, mind, body and hence experiences its pain and pleasures.

Many would say Maya is illusion, and if this world is an illusion then your wasting your time.

What creates Maya?

5) How does one attain salvation/liberation? Liberation is attained when the consciousness attains discriminative knowledge of the distinction between consciousness and maya(matter) and this ceases the machinations of the mind(chit-vrittis)

Is Mind Consciousness? and liberation from What?

6) How does one practice this religion? The practice of meditation is done to purify the mind(chitta suddhi) ceasing the chitt-vrittis. This is best achieved through the Yoga of Ashtanga Kriya Yoga which systematically purifies every aspect of the mind-body complex and enables maximum spiritual development.

Please explain Yoga of Ashtanga Kriya Yoga.

Vedantic Hinduism gives a highly coherent, logical, evidence-based and scientific religion which is purely based on the values of spiritual development and enlightenment. It is suited to the mindset of the 21st century. If all Hindus practiced this religion Hindus would have a highly scientific and advanced civilization and be prosperous(much more than the West today) Just as they were during the times of the Upanishads, before Puranic Hinduism kicked in and Hindus fragmented into gazillions of divisions and then were invaded left, right and center by foreigners and Hindu civilization fell.

So here you admit that India was United at some point when they were practising the Upanishads. So your statement above about India being never United is incorrect.

Hinduism on the other gives a mess and cannot answer a single question definitively.

neither can any other religion. Including Vedantic Hinduism.

Modern civilization is not just Western, it is based on the cultural steams and flows of all cultures in the world. In fact in the 21st century of globalization(an idea in-line with ancient Vedic thought of Vasudeva kutumbukum) nation-states are becoming an obsolete idea. The only ideologists that cling to nation-states are nationalists.

And you are calling these cultures dead traditions.

The Birth place of the Vedantic philosophy was India, if you are suggesting to remove it from India, it is going against Vasudeva kutumbukum, removing Hinduism/vedantic from India will be like taking a Child away from its Mother.

Taking Vedantic Hinduism as the true definition of Hinduism, because it is the only form of Hinduism which is Santana dharma, I would say Swami Dayananda is the least Hindu because he lends to a highly geographical and nationalist Hinduism which is not Santana. Aurobindo is more Hindu because he recognizes that Hinduism should be global and spiritual(strongly inspired by Vivekananda) but he is also nationalist at the same time and attempts to reinterpret the Vedas spiritually to save pride, and Swami Vivekananda the most Hindu because he falsified geographical Hinduism and presented Vedantic Hinduism as the future religion of all of humanity.

Vedantic Hinduism is nothing without the Vedas, just like Hinduism will be nothing without India. But i guess thats what you want.

Most reformists end up creating their own religion: Buddha(Buddhism) Mahavira(Jainism) and Guru Nanak(Sikhism) which basically suggests that 'Hinduism' is a lost cause and perhaps it is simply better to get rid of it and separate Hinduism out into separate religions, or to attempt the greatest reform of all history of religion, getting Hindus to agree to accept Vedantic(Advaita, not the Puranic forgeries of Dvaita etc)Hinduism as the one and ONLY Hinduism.

And Vedantic Hinduism.

No, that is called postmodernism, another word for mess. Postmodernism is not anymore a region than Hinduism is. To tell everyone that everybody just has an interpretation of the truth, to each his own, is a cop-out and it cannot unify anybody. This is Western civilization is in crisis today, because its caught up in the mess of postmodernism and has fragmented just like Hinduism is. This reflects in the newest movement in religion in the West - new-age religion.

Give it what English word you like, it does not Change Sanatana Dharma, no one has a definition of it in English.

It's clear I am not Christian, so please stop calling me Christian. I reject that religion as much as I reject Puranic Hinduism.(don't call me Muslim either, as I think even less of Islam than I do of Christianity) If it helps to assuage your paranoia, I consider Puranic Hinduism one level better than Christianity, but only JUST.

I still think you are a Christian :D

Why is individualism eternal?

Is the Atman eternal?

Surya Deva

All you are suggesting is your view of Hinduism compared to the Abrahamic sects. You don't need to have anything in common with any other Hindu, that is the whole purpose of Hinduism.
Every individual has a right to there own beliefs.

Then there is no religion called Hinduism and term can be then best described as a category label to describe the religions, way of life, culture, history, ethnicity and arts of the Indian people and is then geographically bound and has no relevance to the rest of the world. However even this definition is problematic for then we would have to consider Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism Hinduism too and Buddhist, Jains and Sikhs would not accept that. Hence the label is contradictory and useless.

Again, looking at Indian History as told by invaders and people who intended division in the first place, as i said the words Bharat and Aryavarta just proves you incorrect.

No, this is the history of India as agreed upon by historians who study history as a discipline. History is a secular evidence-based field. Historians can be British, Indian, Arabic, Chinese or any nationality; they can be Hindu, Muslim Christian or any religion, they can be male or female, high caste or low caste. Secular fields of study are not geocentric. They are evidence based.

In the other thread you accused linguists of the same. You will not get very far by denying scholarship, as much as a creationist does not get very far by denying evolution. In order to disprove scholarship you need to engage with the evidence, but dismissing it will get you nowhere, but in our modern world today we decide matters through peer-review of evidence. Sure there are people outside the loop who don't play by the rules - they have no credibility.
In the end is these historian scholars who will decide what gets published in official academic text books on history of India and what will get taught in education.

I am sure you are familiar with an Indian scholar called Rajiv Malhotra? Well, Rajiv Malholra was influential in getting official academic text books published on Hinduism in California state schools revised based on the thrust of scholarship - which goes to prove if your scholarship is strong and evidence based you can indeed exert influence in the field.

Regarding your argument of the use of terms "Bharatvarsha" and "Aryavarta" does not disprove historical scholarship of India, for these terms do not specify what the geographical boundaries of India are, they could be referring to only a specific state or kingdom or they could be referring to just the whole sub-continent, but the term does not suggest political unity.

Ahh, in other words you are parroting the belief of the British, when they decided that the great Philosophy and Vedas could not have come from backward brown skin people, so they theorised the AIT.
While doing so you cant remove the place that the Vedantic philosophy took birth, it was India not any other country.

Well, this argument doe not apply to me, because I am not saying any racist things like Vedanta could not have come from brown skin people and nor do I accept the AIT theory. Nor am I saying that Vedanta philosophy did not take birth in India. However, just because Vedanta philosophy took birth in India does not mean belongs to India, anymore than the scientific method taking birth in England does not mean it belongs to England, or the laws of gravity taking birth in England is the property of England.

Vedanta philosophy is based on universal principles and hence it cannot be the property of a single people. Moreover, Vedantic like philosophy appears all over the world in Christian Gnosticism, Sufism, Neo-platonism, Egyptian mystery schools and Kabbalh.

Upanishads are just the end part of the Aryanaka and Brahmana works, they are not revealed scriptures. the rishis were just trying to understand the Vedas.

You are just picking up the Upanishads without Knowing what the Upanishads are.

And how would you prove this?

Nope, because none of the philosophies of the Upanishads are found in the Vedas. In the Vedas we find a polytheistic religion, similar to the other IE religions at the time, and only in the later hymns are clear indications of philosophical thought which foreshadows the Upanishads found, but in pretty rudimentary form and few and far between. This is why the Upanishads are called Uttra Mimassa(new tradition) Even in the Upanishads the core concepts that later form Vedanta Hinduism are not formulated into philosophical philosophies, this is later done by the Darsanas.

Its not a religion then. If there is no God, its not technically a religion, its a Spiritual Philosophy.

A religion does not have to believe in god to be regarded a religion, like Buddhism and Jainism are religions, but do not believe in God. However, yes Vedantic Hinduism basically is pure spirituality. However, it is a religion because it is based on universal truths which cover areas considered supernatural(like reincarnation, spiritual planes of reality, souls, spiritual beings, siddhis) and cover moral areas too(like karma) Hence it is more of a religion.

Alright, lest see how infallible this religion is,

First Define Maya.

Maya is the field(kshetra) of consciousness. Maya is also described as the creative energy of consciousness.

Many would say Maya is illusion, and if this world is an illusion then your wasting your time.

Maya is neither real or unreal, but it is the source of all material reality from ishvara, jiva down to the physical bhutas. Yes, these are ultimately unreal ony having naam-rupa for their existence. However, it is no waste of time for the individual jiva who is in bondage, because the jiva is compelled to act by the forces of the gunas(of maya) so the jiva cannot just choose not to act.
So although this world is an illusion, it still holds practical significance, we still have to eat, drink, earn a living, socialize and do our religious practices insofar as it propels us along to salvation. This is why in Hinduism artha, karma, dharma are considered legitimate pursuits of life, but they eventually must culminate in moksha.

What creates Maya?

Nobody Maya is like the field of radiation of the sun. It is not created by the sun but it exists as an aspect of the sun. Maya is not created. It is an eternal aspect of Brahman.

Is Mind Consciousness? and liberation from What?

Mind is not consciousness, mind referring to the anthakarana(inner instrument) is a product of prakriti/maya(matter) and is jada(inert and dead) but it animated through the reflection of consciousness which makes it seem to be sentient, in the same the moon reflecting the sun's light makes it seem to be be luminous. Liberation(moksha) is when the jivatman attains jnana that it is not the body, mind, intellect, ego etc, which it achieves not through book-knowledge, but through meditation.

Please explain Yoga of Ashtanga Kriya Yoga.

Ashtanga Kriya Yoga, also known as Raja Yoga, is the Yoga of meditation prescribed by Patanjali the founder of the Yoga Darsana to scientifically describe the process by which Jnana is attained and bring about liberation. It is attained through chitt vritti nirodha the cessation of the modifications of the field of mind, meaning the entire field of prakriti whose activity of gunas cause the jiva to be projected into this empirical reality and experience the dualties here, when the guna activity is ceased through meditation the jiva attains liberation and realizes Brahman.

So here you admit that India was United at some point when they were practising the Upanishads. So your statement above about India being never United is incorrect.

I never said India was not united. I said that has been united for only brief periods in its history, but for the most part has existed as a fragmented entity and not a politically unified entity. The Mauraya empire appeared during the philosophical period of India and India was unified enough to be able to withstand the Greek empire, which had conquered huge parts of the world. Alexandra the Great and his armies were terrified of the united Maurayan empire that they did not dare cross the Ganga river after their relatively trivial conquest over King Porous, but even this conquest is dubious, for Alexandra the King failed to capture the territory of Porous and even gave up his previously captured territory in Afghanistan(Ghandara)

neither can any other religion. Including Vedantic Hinduism.

Indeed it can, I just answered all the main questions that define a religions(founders, history, central doctrines, practices) comprehensively and definitively.

And you are calling these cultures dead traditions.

The Birth place of the Vedantic philosophy was India, if you are suggesting to remove it from India, it is going against Vasudeva kutumbukum, removing Hinduism/vedantic from India will be like taking a Child away from its Mother.

Vedantic Hinduism can be removed as much from India, as the steam engine can from England and the computer can from America, and the law of gravitation can from England. Even a child born from a mother, once born, is no longer her property and then has an independent life of its own. Just because something was invented in India, does not mean it is bound to India. Cricket was invented in England, and it has a bigger craze in India than it does in England.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Vedantic Hinduism is nothing without the Vedas, just like Hinduism will be nothing without India. But i guess thats what you want.

Hinduism will be a global religion without India. India is not important. I remember Vivekananda once saying that if India were to ceaze to exist, the Vedas were lost and all Hindus died out, Hinduism as Santana Dharma would still be discovered again by future generations because it is universal. It is not geographically bound. Just like if we lost all physics text books and all physicists we would still discover the laws of physics in the future.

Give it what English word you like, it does not Change Sanatana Dharma, no one has a definition of it in English.

Yes we do. Sanatana means eternal/universal and dharma means religion and the essential nature or essential characteristics which uphold something - thus Santana dharma is the universal religion of the essential nature of reality or science of reality.

I still think you are a Christian :D

I am as much Christian as you are Satanist ;)

Is the Atman eternal?

The Atman is not individual though, the Atman is the universal all pervading Self. The Jivas as individual expressions are not eternal, one day they all die out by dissolving back into the Atman, like waves of an ocean one day die out.

Pleroma

philalethist
You just said in the previous post:

And now you say

You just contradicted what you said earlier.

Shaivaites and Vaishnava are not a big issue. Both are part of the Hindu tradition.

So now you are saying that Shaiva and Shaktas sects that deny the Vedas and accept the Agamas as their authority are not real Hindus? (Read no true scotsman fallacy below)

Read my post fully rather than selectively quoting it.

Advaita does not accept the real-existence of god/s. They are considered products of maya/prakriti and ultimately unreal.

I have told you many times that Mayavada sinks in the bottom of the ocean. One needs to know both the vyakta as well as the avyakta to know Brahman.

Pleroma

philalethist
Hinduism will be a global religion without India. India is not important. I remember Vivekananda once saying that if India were to ceaze to exist, the Vedas were lost and all Hindus died out, Hinduism as Santana Dharma would still be discovered again by future generations because it is universal. It is not geographically bound. Just like if we lost all physics text books and all physicists we would still discover the laws of physics in the future.

Hinduism will never be a global religion as everyone will not worship the gods of the hindus and without those gods your global religion is a man made religion with man made principles and it cannot provide anything to the people of the world, the world is not in need of a global religion and neither Hinduism needs to be revived in that way.

The Atman is not individual though, the Atman is the universal all pervading Self. The Jivas as individual expressions are not eternal, one day they all die out by dissolving back into the Atman, like waves of an ocean one day die out.

No you're mistaken, Jiva is Brahman, there is no merging with anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surya Deva

Shaivaites and Vaishnava are not a big issue. Both are part of the Hindu tradition.

Now you are playing the fallacy of one-sidedness/ignoring the counter evidence:

A one-sided case presents only evidence favoring its conclusion, and ignores or downplays the evidence against it. In inductive reasoning, it is important to consider all of the available evidence before coming to a conclusion.For example, suppose that you have observed several white swans; then you might conclude:

All swans are white.

However, if you have observed even one black swan, you should not come to this conclusion.

Logical Fallacy: One-Sidedness

You made a statement earlier that Hindus do not fight among each other, but I have shown you a clear example of Hindus not just fighting among one another, but brutally massacring one another. You then replied by saying historical violence between sects did happen, so you contradicted what you said. Therefore you must now concede my position that the statement "Hindus do not fight among one another" is false, they do sometimes fight.

Read my post fully rather than selectively quoting it.

You said that those sects that deny Rudra in the Vedas are fools in response to my argument that some Shaiva and Shakta sects reject the authority of the Vedas and consider their Agamas as their authority.

I have told you many times that Mayavada sinks in the bottom of the ocean. One needs to know both the vyakta as well as the avyakta to know Brahman.

You are simply stating your opinion/beliefs, but not responding to the counter-evidence I have just shown you. You said I am wrong and Advaita is theistic and accepts the existence of god/s. I just showed you counter-evidence that god/s(including ishvara) are products of Maya in Advaita philosophy.

So do you now concede to me that your statement was wrong?

Pleroma

philalethist
Now you are playing the fallacy of one-sidedness/ignoring the counter evidence:

Logical Fallacy: One-Sidedness

You made a statement earlier that Hindus do not fight among each other, but I have shown you a clear example of Hindus not just fighting among one another, but brutally massacring one another. You then replied by saying historical violence between sects did happen, so you contradicted what you said. Therefore you must now concede my position that the statement "Hindus do not fight among one another" is false, they do sometimes fight.

Obviously where there is ignorance there will be squabbling but that doesn't mean we need to get rid of them, the people of rajo guna are as important as sattva guna and we need both of them.

You said that those sects that deny Rudra in the Vedas are fools in response to my argument that some Shaiva and Shakta sects reject the authority of the Vedas and consider their Agamas as their authority.

Yes, I called them fools but that doesn't mean they are not Hindus.

You are simply stating your opinion/beliefs, but not responding to the counter-evidence I have just shown you. You said I am wrong and Advaita is theistic and accepts the existence of god/s. I just showed you counter-evidence that god/s(including ishvara) are products of Maya in Advaita philosophy.

So do you now concede to me that your statement was wrong?

Which part of it that you don't understand that the six shanmathas established by Shankara himself? Adi Sankaracharya established the Shanmatha (six-important faiths); Saivam (Lord Shiva), Vaishnavam (Lord Vishnu), Saktham (Goddess), Ganapathyam (Lord Ganapathy), Kaumaram (Lord Subramanya) and Souram (Lord Surya or Sun God).

I am an Advaiti and I believe in a personal God. Did you understand?

Surya Deva

Obviously where there is ignorance there will be squabbling but that doesn't mean we need to get rid of them, the people of rajo guna are as important as sattva guna and we need both of them.

Thus proving my points that all Hindu do not agree with one another and they do indeed fight among each other(much like in this thread, we show up pretty every other faith board on this forum in how we fight with one another and never can agree on any issue in Hinduism) :D

I am an Advaiti and I believe in a personal God. Did you understand?

Yeah, but Advaitin do not believe in a personal god, this is what differentiates Advaitins from other schools of Vedanta. This is why Advaitins are called impersonalists by rival schools.

If you believe in a personal god you cannot be Advaitin, because you contradict its core philosophical position that Ishvara and Jiva are both products of Maya, and and Brahman /Atman is the only reality. Advaita is summed up in this aphorism of the school "Brahma Satya Jagan Mithya" Brahman is the only true reality, the world is unreal. It is called Advaita, not-two, for a reason you know.

Satyamavejayanti

Surya Deva;3070615]Then there is no religion called Hinduism and term can be then best described as a category label to describe the religions, way of life, culture, history, ethnicity and arts of the Indian people and is then geographically bound and has no relevance to the rest of the world. However even this definition is problem for then we would have to consider Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism Hinduism too and Buddhist, Jains an Sikhs would not accept that. Hence the label is contradictory and useless.

Religion can also be a way of life, its basis will be culture and history associated with it, there are many who call them self Hindu but are not even Indian, nor follow the cultures of India.

No, this is the history of India as agreed upon by historians who study history as a discipline. History is a secular evidence-based field. Historians can be British, Indian, Arabic, Chinese or any nationality; they can be Hindu, Muslim Christian or any religion, they can be male or female, high caste or low caste. Secular fields of study are not geocentric. They are evidence based.

Yes they are just people, people no matter what they follow or are can be biased in any form toward anything that goes against what they believe.

In the other thread you accused linguists of the same. You will not get very far by denying scholarship, as much as a creationist does not get very far by denying evolution. In order to disprove scholarship you need to engage with the evidence, but dismissing it will get you nowhere, but in our modern world today we decide matters through peer-review of evidence. Sure there are people outside the loop who don't play by the rules - they have no credibility.
In the end is these historian scholars who will decide what gets published in official academic text books on history of India and what will get taught in education.

lot of people believe in Islam, that does not make Islam infallible. any idea started with intent to subjugate/divide on which theories are based using the original idea cannot be counted as unbiased.

Regarding your argument of the use of terms "Bharatvarsha" and "Aryavarta" does not disprove historical scholarship of India, for these terms do not specific what the geographical boundaries of India are, they could be referring to only a specific state or kingdom or they could be referring to just the whole sub-continent, but the term does not suggest political unity.

Does not matter what it means, the names suggest a unified concept of a place of residence, Indians have always called their homeland by this name, until recently that is. We are not talking about Political but religious unity, there is no substantial proofs of that states that India was divided religiously prior to the advent of the Moghuls.

There are no great Wars specifically started out of religious difference.

Well, this argument doe not apply to me, because I am not saying any racist things like Vedanta could not have come from brown skin people and nor do I accept the AIT theory. Nor am I saying that Vedanta philosophy did not take birth in India. However, just because Vedanta philosophy took birth in India does not mean belongs to India, anymore than the scientific method taking birth in England does not mean it belongs to England, or the laws of gravity taking birth in England is the property of England.

Who says it only belongs to India only, all im saying is it does not belong to you.

Vedanta philosophy is based on universal principles and hence it cannot be the property of a single people. Moreover, Vedantic like philosophy appears all over the world in Christian Gnosticism, Sufism, Neo-platonism, Egyptian mystery schools and Kabbalh.

Its not Universal if it excludes even one individual.

Nope, because none of the philosophies of the Upanishads are found in the Vedas. In the Vedas we find a polytheistic religion, similar to the other IE religions at the time, and only in the later hymns are clear indications of philosophical thought which foreshadows the Upanishads found, but in pretty rudimentary form and few and far between. This is why the Upanishads are called Uttra Mimassa(new tradition) Even in the Upanishads the core concepts that later form Vedanta Hinduism are not formulated into philosophical philosophies, this is later done by the Darsanas.

Vedas were prior to the Upanishads, why would you be looking for Upanishad Philosophy in the Vedas???, when upanishads are them selfs the Philosophy on the Vedas???

I don't think Vedas are polytheistic.

A religion does not have to believe in god to be regarded a religion, like Buddhism and Jainism are religions, but do not believe in God. However, yes Vedantic Hinduism basically is pure spirituality. However, it is a religion because it is based on universal truths which cover areas considered supernatural(like reincarnation, spiritual planes of reality, souls, spiritual beings, siddhis) and cover moral areas too(like karma) Hence it is more of a religion.

All religions claim Universal truths.

Maya is the field(kshetra) of consciousness. Maya is also described as the creative energy of consciousness.

So consciousness produces Maya

Maya is neither real or unreal, but it is the source of all material reality from ishvara, jiva down to the physical bhutas. Yes, these are ultimately unreal ony having naam-rupa for their existence. However, it is no waste of time for the individual jiva who is in bondage, because the jiva is compelled to act by the forces of the gunas(of maya) so the jiva cannot just choose not to act.
So although this world is an illusion, it still holds practical significance, we still have to eat, drink, earn a living, socialize and do our religious practices insofar as it propels us along to salvation. This is why in Hinduism artha, karma, dharma are considered legitimate pursuits of life, but they eventually must culminate in moksha.

So you don't know what Maya is, you says its nether real nor unreal but is a source of reality, from Ishvara, which begs the question, is Ishvara real or unreal. anything with Nama-Rupa is real because it has a name and a form. Action is not possible to come from something which is unreal, or non existent, only from the real and existent. If the world is an illusion, why would it hold any practical significance, the practical significance in a illusion becomes itself a illusion of significance.

artha, karma, dharma, these are only possible in a real world, otherwise its meaningless if the world itself is a illusion.

Nobody Maya is like the field of radiation of the sun. It is not created by the sun but it exists as an aspect of the sun. Maya is not created. It is an eternal aspect of Brahman.

How can you escape eternal Maya, its impossible.
So Brahman is non real.

Mind is not consciousness, mind referring to the anthakarana(inner instrument) is a product of prakriti/maya(matter) and is jada(inert and dead) but it animated through the reflection of consciousness which makes it seem to be sentient, in the same the moon reflecting the sun's light makes it seem to be be luminous. Liberation(moksha) is when the jivatman attains jnana that it is not the body, mind, intellect, ego etc, which it achieves not through book-knowledge, but through meditation.

How can that happen when Maya is eternal, it never goes away.

Ashtanga Kriya Yoga, also known as Raja Yoga, is the Yoga of meditation prescribed by Patanjali the founder of the Yoga Darsana to scientifically describe the process by which Jnana is attained and bring about liberation. It is attained through chitt vritti nirodha the cessation of the modifications of the field of mind, meaning the entire field of prakriti whose activity of gunas cause the jiva to be projected into this empirical reality and experience the dualties here, when the guna activity is ceased through meditation the jiva attains liberation and realizes Brahman.

Impossible, if Maya is a aspect of Brahman, then any one in Moksha cannot ever escape from Maya.

Indeed it can, I just answered all the main questions that define a religions(founders, history, central doctrines, practices) comprehensively and definitively.

Answered to your self, not to me, i still am ignorant.

Vedantic Hinduism can be removed as much from India, as the steam engine can from England and the computer can from America, and the law of gravitation can from England. Even a child born from a mother, once born, is no longer her property and then has an independent life of its own. Just because something was invented in India, does not mean it is bound to India. Cricket was invented in England, and it has a bigger craze in India than it does in England.

But the Dhamah of any Child is to always respect and honour their mother.

Satyamavejayanti

Surya Deva;3070616]Hinduism will be a global religion without India. India is not important. I remember Vivekananda once saying that if India were to ceaze to exist, the Vedas were lost and all Hindus died out, Hinduism as Santana Dharma would still be discovered again by future generations because it is universal. It is not geographically bound. Just like if we lost all physics text books and all physicists we would still discover the laws of physics in the future.

Hinduism is a global religion right now, with India inclusive.

Yes we do. Sanatana means eternal/universal and dharma means religion and the essential nature or essential characteristics which uphold something - thus Santana dharma is the universal religion of the essential nature of reality or science of reality.

Sanatana Dharma being what you define, cannot then be exclusive of anything. Including Indians and Hinduism.

I am as much Christian as you are Satanist ;)

rather that then Christian any day..:yes:

(No offence to anyone)

Waves of the Ocean have the same characteristic as the water that makes the ocean.

So if the expressions of a Eternal being does not have the same Characteristics as the Eternal being, its not Part of the Eternal being.

So Why are the Jivas not eternal?

Pleroma

philalethist
Thus proving my points that all Hindu do not agree with one another and they do indeed fight among each other(much like in this thread, we show up pretty every other faith board on this forum in how we fight with one another and never can agree on any issue in Hinduism) :D

Fighting is good, we need to do more.

Yeah, but Advaitin do not believe in a personal god, this is what differentiates Advaitins from other schools of Vedanta. This is why Advaitins are called impersonalists by rival schools.

If you believe in a personal god you cannot be Advaitin, because you contradict its core philosophical position that Ishvara and Jiva are both products of Maya, and and Brahman /Atman is the only reality. Advaita is summed up in this aphorism of the school "Brahma Satya Jagan Mithya" Brahman is the only true reality, the world is unreal. It is called Advaita, not-two, for a reason you know.

You often ignore points which are raised by me.

Which part of it that you don't understand that the six shanmathas established by Shankara himself? Adi Sankaracharya established the Shanmatha (six-important faiths); Saivam (Lord Shiva), Vaishnavam (Lord Vishnu), Saktham (Goddess), Ganapathyam (Lord Ganapathy), Kaumaram (Lord Subramanya) and Souram (Lord Surya or Sun God).

If you don't follow one of these six sects then you're not a Hindu or an Advaiti. Ishvara and Jiva are not unreal, they are more real than this empirical world, only by knowing Ishvara you become one with him.