• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu Temple Destruction

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this in my Facebook feed. Disgusting, nauseating, reprehensible, unconscionable, intolerable, and appalling. :mad: The first instinct and reaction of the loose cannon in me is one of rage and wanting to retaliate in kind, but I don't think that's the way. As bitter a pill as it is for me to swallow, I pray that people like these become enlightened, show remorse and mend their ways. Until then I'll settle for steel bracelets for them, and bread and water for them (anyone who gets that reference is showing their age :D).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I saw this in my Facebook feed. Disgusting, nauseating, reprehensible, unconscionable, intolerable, and appalling. :mad: The first instinct and reaction of the loose cannon in me is one of rage and wanting to retaliate in kind, but I don't think that's the way. As bitter a pill as it is for me to swallow, I pray that people like these become enlightened, show remorse and mend their ways. Until then I'll settle for steel bracelets for them, and bread and water for them (anyone who gets that reference is showing their age :D).

If it's individuals, good chance thy can be apprehended. Much bigger problem if it's government sanctioned. News is funny. One never knows what doesn't get reported.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!

Jai ji, as I read your above para, I cannot help but wonder this - they say the thinking pattern.... the thoughts... are so intricately related to the language and speech. I watched a video on Orwellian. It said bureaucrats destort and destroy the beauty of a language so much such that no intricate thinking can evolve among masses. Let me ask, do you think along the same lines, sympathizing with the general beliefs of a population can and will be related to how we speak / the language? Like, for instance, we can empathize with one society over another more because we carry their beliefs exactly, which resulted from speaking and thinking in their language? In plain speak, I am asking, is it possible for anyone to empathize with the Christians in this instance, because you feel like them, think like them and act like them, which resulted from speaking English....

I don't intend to divert the conversation except for the above clarification that I seek.

Sorry about the incident.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jai ji, as I read your above para, I cannot help but wonder this - they say the thinking pattern.... the thoughts... are so intricately related to the language and speech. I watched a video on Orwellian. It said bureaucrats destort and destroy the beauty of a language so much such that no intricate thinking can evolve among masses. Let me ask, do you think along the same lines, sympathizing with the general beliefs of a population can and will be related to how we speak / the language? Like, for instance, we can empathize with one society over another more because we carry their beliefs exactly, which resulted from speaking and thinking in their language? In plain speak, I am asking, is it possible for anyone to empathize with the Christians in this instance, because you feel like them, think like them and act like them, which resulted from speaking English....

I don't intend to divert the conversation except for the above clarification that I seek.

Sorry about the incident.

There’s a linguistic theory that a language develops by how a culture thinks. I don’t know how widely accepted that is; I’ll have to look into it. Maybe it ties in with mob mentality.

I’m sure there are some people who will think what the pastors did was right because they think alike. They think Hindus are idol worshipers and “devil worshipers”, and must be converted. I think most people would denounce these actions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There’s a linguistic theory that a language develops by how a culture thinks. I don’t know how widely accepted that is; I’ll have to look into it. Maybe it ties in with mob mentality.

I’m sure there are some people who will think what the pastors did was right because they think alike. They think Hindus are idol worshipers and “devil worshipers”, and must be converted. I think most people would denounce these actions.

Certainly I agree about language to some degree. Imagine a culture whose language didn't include the word 'hate'. The First nations peoples of North America didn't have a word for the abstract 'ownership'. Indeed a culture full of dualistic and negative words and concepts would have more himsa in it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Andhra Pradesh is currently ruled by a person (Chandra Babu Naidu) who is against Modi and the country goes for national election in a phased manner three days from now (April 11, will go on till May 19th. Results on May 23rd., after all, about 900 million people are eligible to vote). Two of his competitors are a former Congress leader who is a Christian and Modi. The other two are Dynasty Congress and the Chief Minister of a neighboring state (KCRao of Telangana). I do not know what role his government has played in the incident. I am sure that the temple will be rebuilt. Perhaps it was in a Christian dominated locality.

Last edited: