• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu Only: Ritual?

Curst Saden

Hello! I was researching Hindu rituals and I stumbled on this video. Can anyone please tell me what ritual this is? Which god(s) are being worshiped? What is the significance of the fire and pouring water over themselves? I would appreciate the context!

Orbit

I'm a planet
Hello! I was researching Hindu rituals and I stumbled on this video. Can anyone please tell me what ritual this is? Which god(s) are being worshiped? What is the significance of the fire and pouring water over themselves? I would appreciate the context!

From the title of the video, it appears that they are worshiping the goddess Kali. Beyond that, I don't know.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's a regular puja in the beginning, waving of a ghee lamp. Looks like it might be from Fiji, or Bengal. The fire breathing and water will be some sort of penance I imagine. But I'm not sure. I've never seen it.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Maybe a Kali Puja? For Her festival? I think what they are doing is called "Aarti" but I am not positive.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
As said by others, the Goddess is Kali. As for the God, it's not Indra (as the horse is not seven-headed) and it's likely not to be Kalki as I don't think he would be worshipped together with Kali. The only Shivaite God I found riding a white horse is called Khandoba (Khandoba - Wikipedia), but he is often shown on the horse with a female companion, so it could aswell be some local deity which hasn't made it into the English-language part of the internet yet.