• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu Gods & Goddesses Dishonoured

digbijay

Hi there,

Hinduism is a major religion of the world. The Hindus worship many Gods & Goddesses in the form of idols and pictures. Unfortunately, even though the Hindu deities are worshipped with much love and devotion, they are dishonoured at every moment somewhere or the other. This happens when (1) the pictures of Hindu Gods & Goddesses are discarded, (2) their idols are treated as playthings, (3) their idols & pictures are kept at unsuitable places, (4) their pictures & idols are left uncared and (5) the deities are represented in distorted manners in pictures & idols. As these incidences almost go unnoticed and unfelt, they continue to happen.

Let me know your views.

With Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know how to decide what is or is not distorted. Several times debate erupts, and there seems to be a vast array of opinions. As you know, In India its common to use a deity's name in a business. Some would even think it's auspicious. Some artwork, like silhouettes, are on one hand, beautiful, and on another hand, a distortion. So just who is to be the judge?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Such actions sure are despicable, but the world is not perfect. We should complain and try to explain when it happens.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Such actions sure are despicable, but the world is not perfect. We should complain and try to explain when it happens.
Which actions? (In the list he provided as I wasn't able to open the book with the programs I have, he included wedding invitations as objectionable to have a deity picture on. What's next? Divali cards?)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not think I have seen a Hindu wedding card (in my region, they are known as 'Kumkum-patri', bearer of some good news) without the image of deities, normally Lord Ganesha, but more varied in South India (Sri Rama, Balaji, etc.). My own wedding card had this mantra "Om Gam Ganeshaya Namah" (still have a copy). I did not like the 'Gam' part, but I have grown older, and have come to accept things as they come. ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I do not think I have seen a Hindu wedding card (in my region, they are known as 'Kumkum-patri', bearer of some good news) without the image of deities, normally Lord Ganesha, but more varied in South India (Sri Rama, Balaji, etc.). My own wedding card had this mantra "Om Gam Ganeshaya Namah" (still have a copy). I did not like the 'Gam' part, but I have grown older, and have come to accept things as they come. ;)

My point is simply that we need to judge each situation on its individual merits. I don't like our Gods' images on beer, underwear, sandals, etc. But other stuff like invitations, restaurant names, it's fine.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Agree, perfectly fine - Jagadamba Bhojanalaya, Sri Krishna Vaishnava Bhojanalaya, Hari Darshan Dhoop, Gopal Ghee, etc. No dishonor, only honor and request for the deities blessings in business.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

I was able to read the book, and I think it makes some very valid points. It is surely disrespectful to use images of deities as mere decoration or advertising material. If you see that happening, a complaint is justified.

But to complain that a newspaper should not print a picture when writing about a festival, on the grounds that the paper will be later discarded as rubbish, is surely going a bit far. An image in the temple or home that is used for worship is sacred, but a photograph of it is just that: a picture, nothing more. As for introducing laws to regulate such things, let's leave that sort of thing to the Muslims.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As for introducing laws to regulate such things, let's leave that sort of thing to the Muslims.

No need to worry. These kinds of agendas have never gotten very far. Some protests or simple pointing it out as insulting, have had some effect on clothing manufacturers, for example.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agree, perfectly fine - Jagadamba Bhojanalaya, Sri Krishna Vaishnava Bhojanalaya, Hari Darshan Dhoop, Gopal Ghee, etc. No dishonor, only honor and request for the deities blessings in business.
Can you imagine the number of incense makers that would have to discontinue?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My wife does not throw the Wedding cards or deity appliques on such cards in rubbish. They are disposed at the temple. IMHO, they should be buried under a large tree or immersed in a river.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
As far as my PERSONAL (is that the word? ... perhaps "household" religious "guests" and paraphenalia) murtis, "God" posters, items from India such as sacred rocks, dirt, dust, small chips from ancient temples (not kidding), and so on, most of mine are in good condition including posters I have had for 45 years now. So I rarely have a situation where such a religious item has had to be "put in samadhi" if you will.

But in one example, even though some may object, I had a badly water damaged poster (small size) that I performed a funeral pyre then put the ashes in a local river.

I du not recall any Murti I have "disposed" other than the clay Ganeshas I make for holidays for immersion. Our house actually has a large "collection" and 90% are metal and many are valuable. When I die, before dead I will try to give these to the right people - for example if my daughter gets married I give to her children. A couple of these have powers inside them that might be dangerous in the wrong hands.

As for things such as cards with Deity on them, I have these in a box. I don't think I have ever thrown any out. Now that I think about it, too many, I don't know what will happen to them after death. I guess I don't get too worried about it.

The most important "thing" I have is a small chip of stone from the left side of the Bankibihari Temple Vrindavan India, and I have my personal silver Hanumanji Murti from the Delhi region but of very unique Adorn and Form of Brahmacharya with cap and rudraksha head band and arms/hands in almost "Muslim style" with prayer hands palm up, standing but tail at rest. This Murti has powers and is never to be discarded and must be passed on to generations.

No one is allowed to see my Hanuman other than those I allow. I know Rama doesn't like that idea, that is fine I will suffer the karma, but this Hanumanji has powers and I do not care if I am being selfish or protective even if I go to Yamaraj to explain.

I would suggest however, one can take these things too far. If someone chooses to politely dispose of old cards or posters and such, I do not have a problem. Nor do I tell others what to do.

Nor do I have a problem with taxis having Hanuman picture on the dash, or Sikh symbol painted on truck and things like that. In fact, I like it.

I do not mind Devatas or Devi being used as a product symbol, even if for things like soap. Sometimes people get worked up over things, not me, for example isn't Devi also in the Earth Herself? So if I sell dirt and my company symbol is Sita, what is the problem? She was born in fallow dirt dropped from a deer. So? She is Bhumi.

Now if someone goes to a temple and breaks the religious things, that I do indeed have a problem.

But, though this may be shocking to some Hindus to say, not every murti is actually an Idol. No. Some of those clay one's, or wood, or even metal, are nothing but clay or nothing but a decoration.. Not Idol. They are "empty". Not God. Just toss them if you like. They are not "awake". If you show me, I can tell you in 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But, though this may be shocking to some Hindus to say, not every murti is actually an Idol. No. Some of those clay one's, or wood, or even metal, are nothing but clay or nothing but a decoration.. Not Idol. They are "empty". Not God. Just toss them if you like. They are not "awake". If you show me, I can tell you in 10 seconds.
That would really be shocking. I would not do it. A relationship in Hinduism is for life. Dispose them respectfully even if they are not considered 'live'. What is not 'live'? All things are Brahman. :)