• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu fasting questions please?

Hello all, just out of sheer curiosity I would like to ask some questions on fasting "from meat".

Here in NY I have some relatives, friends and neighbors who are Hindus.

Anyway, I notice that every Hindu family will fast from meat on different days and also for different amount of days prior to the Religious holidays.

The Christians have the set 40 days for fasting for Lent so I am wondering if in Hinduism there is a specific amount of days one should fast from meat or is there no restrictions at all and it's ok for anyone to fast for however many days they should choose to do so please? Blessings.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello all, just out of sheer curiosity I would like to ask some questions on fasting "from meat".

Anyway, I notice that every Hindu family will fast from meat on different days and also for different amount of days prior to the Religious holidays.

The Christians have the set 40 days for fasting for Lent so I am wondering if in Hinduism there is a specific amount of days one should fast from meat or is there no restrictions at all and it's ok for anyone to fast for however many days they should choose to do so please? Blessings.
Hindus have various religious rituals throughout the year. In addition to various festivals. Fasting from meat on certain days is usually in adherence to idea that specific days of the week are reserved for a special prayer to a particular deity. How often and for how long the fast goes for depends on the ritual being observed and which deity is being honoured and indeed which sect the Hindu in question belongs to. Some might fast on a certain day because it is being honoured for Shiva, others another day for Ganesh and so on. I’m not particularly well versed in the nitty gritty, as I’m not particularly that strict. But my ma will often fast on particular days during the week if she wants to pay special heed to a particular deity of hers.

Ohh I see, never knew that. The Hindus in my circles are not from the Motherland but from the Caribbean and I am wondering if maybe this might be why they each do their own thing?

Those here fast mostly whenever they feel like it and for however many days they feel like fasting for, with no specific rulers to follow. Example, like you've mentioned each day should represent a particular deity but if you ask most of them here they most likely will say they simply choose "any" day.

So this is why I am wondering if there are any set rules for fasting in the holy book?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ohh I see, never knew that. The Hindus in my circles are not from the Motherland but from the Caribbean and I am wondering if maybe this might be why they each do their own thing?

Those here fast mostly whenever they feel like it and for however many days they feel like fasting for, with no specific rulers to follow. Example, like you've mentioned each day should represent a particular deity but if you ask most of them here they most likely will say they simply choose "any" day.
Well each Hindu circle has their own quirks. Ma is originally from Fiji and so brings her own native additions.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

My Master told me to start fasting meat, and never stop this fast:D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

If or how one fasts depends on the Hindu and the practices and philosophies they follow. Some, such as myself, refrain from eating meat altogether, while others fast from meat only during certain celebrations or specific days of the week. As I understand it, some do not fast from meat at all, and some vegetarians will eliminate grains from their diet during certain periods and replace them with potatoes.

Hinduism has many different practices and beliefs even with regard to dietary choices.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

Are you aware that many Hindus are strict lacto-vegetarians?

If they practise yoga seriously, they may fast on the eleventh day before the full moon and before the new moon from sunrise to the next sunrise without taking any food or drink.
Some (especially celebates) may even fast in the same way on the full moon and the new moon day.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It varies a ton within traditions. The meaning of 'fast' varies. You can fast from sex, and meat for 48 days before Thai Pusam. for example. Vegetarians will water fast for whole days like Pradosha. It gets really complicated and varied, as Hinduism is an umbrella term. No person could properly understand 'I'm fasting' without asking for specifics as to what it means for that individual.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is the tradition in the family, particular belief, and personal choice. I never fast, it makes my digestion go haywire, I cannot resist hunger. There is only one day when I am required to fast, that is the death anniversary of my father. We call it 'shrāddha'. On that day I do not have a second meal, but subsist on non-cereal things like salted potato chips (again a modification, for those who fast are not supposed to use salt in any other snack, it can be fruits, milk, etc). So, it is totally a personal thing.

I am forced by family tradition (mainly deriving from my wife's family) to abstain from meat for the whole month of 'Shrāvana' (fifth month in Hindu calendar, July-August, considered auspicious because of Shiva), and two nine-day periods in a year (considered auspicious because of the Mother Goddess), and on Tuesdays (considered auspicious because of Hanuman, the Hindu monkey-faced God). So no meat on these days, but I am allowed to have meat out side the home (now, I am lazy enough not to leave the home and to eat alone just to have a meat dish, so I make do with vegetarian meals).

Last edited:
It is the tradition in the family, particular belief, and personal choice.

Yes, that is what I am seeing with those in my circles.

So to clarify, in the Hindu Holy book there isn't any set rules for fasting from meat whether it is choosing any day of the week for regular fasting or prior to the religious occasions, is this correct please?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, that is what I am seeing with those in my circles.

So to clarify, in the Hindu Holy book there isn't any set rules for fasting from meat whether it is choosing any day of the week for regular fasting or prior to the religious occasions, is this correct please?
There is no 'the Hindu Holy Book'. Our scriptures are many. Some may have 'rules' or guidelines. No one scripture speaks to all. Individuals are free to interpret the word 'fast' in many ways, as well as apply it in many ways. The only way to find out is to ask the individuals themselves. There may be 10 people you meet on any different day that will say 'I'm fasting' and each of the 10 might mean something different.

For example, I 'fast' every morning before and until the morning puja is finished, which is about 3 hours every day. Some people would call that fasting.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For example, I 'fast' every morning before and until the morning puja is finished, which is about 3 hours every day. Some people would call that fasting.

Similarly, I fast each morning until I complete my morning jnana yoga meditation, only allowing myself a cup of coffee.

This isn't prescribed in any holy book (that I'm aware of, anyway). I do this because it's what works for me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Similarly, I fast each morning until I complete my morning jnana yoga meditation, only allowing myself a cup of coffee.

This isn't prescribed in any holy book (that I'm aware of, anyway). I do this because it's what works for me.

Yes, I do coffee as well. I also use the prasadam from the puja as part of breakfast. The word 'fast' for me personally means only water. I rarely do it, as generally it causes a migraine.

I see. I think where I went wrong is trying to compare the Christian Bible to the Gita. I had thought the Gita was the Hindu's Holy Book like the Bible which would have rules on diet, days of worship e.t.c.

In my circles the Hindu's simply follow what the Parents did/do and mainly what the Pundits tell them to do, they don't read from any literature from anywhere. So if one wants to Study Hinduism, which source is there for them please if not the Gita?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no comparison. Hinduism is a non-fettering religion - it does not bind you in chains. If you would notice, I am a strong atheist but still a staunch orthodox Hindu.

To know about Hinduism my suggestion is to start with Bhagawat Purana at Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana); the story of Krishna and and Ramayana at Valmiki Ramayana.

I will check what concise editions of English translations of these books are available at reasonable prices. Other members are welcome to put in their suggestions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see. I think where I went wrong is trying to compare the Christian Bible to the Gita. I had thought the Gita was the Hindu's Holy Book like the Bible which would have rules on diet, days of worship e.t.c.

In my circles the Hindu's simply follow what the Parents did/do and mainly what the Pundits tell them to do, they don't read from any literature from anywhere. So if one wants to Study Hinduism, which source is there for them please if not the Gita?
I would recommend a generalist overview style of book, and from that decide which specific philosophy to read deeper on.

There is no comparison. Hinduism is a non-fettering religion - it does not bind you in chains.

I had thought Hinduism is similar to Judaism, Christianity and Muslim where there are different beliefs and Sects.

One of my very best friends from childhood/teenage days was a staunch Hindu. He had a separate room which was a Shrine, he would get up in the middle of the night or AM hours and do some chanting, he had even joined a Hare Krishna movement. This man lived in a very religious way as was evidenced by his lifestyle.

I have other close Hindu friend on the other hand one who told me his Pundit said it's ok to drink alcohol on Divali and on the day of a Pooja. It's also a regular situation around my circles with people drinking outside the house while the Pooja is going on inside the house.

So you can see my confusion with the best friend living a very Holy lifestyle and what these others are doing. I had thought I would tell my friend who does the drinking on those days to make the effort to read the Gita instead of relying on everything his Pundit is telling him to do, thinking the Gita was like the Bible for Christians with it's do's and dont's.

So if there is any one resource which states the do's and don't of a true Hindu lifestyle then please refer me to that resource?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had thought Hinduism is similar to Judaism, Christianity and Muslim where there are different beliefs and Sects.

One of my very best friends from childhood/teenage days was a staunch Hindu. He had a separate room which was a Shrine, he would get up in the middle of the night or AM hours and do some chanting, he had even joined a Hare Krishna movement. This man lived in a very religious way as was evidenced by his lifestyle.

I have other close Hindu friend on the other hand one who told me his Pundit said it's ok to drink alcohol on Divali and on the day of a Pooja. It's also a regular situation around my circles with people drinking outside the house while the Pooja is going on inside the house.

So you can see my confusion with the best friend living a very Holy lifestyle and what these others are doing. I had thought I would tell my friend who does the drinking on those days to make the effort to read the Gita instead of relying on everything his Pundit is telling him to do, thinking the Gita was like the Bible for Christians with it's do's and dont's.

So if there is any one resource which states the do's and don't of a true Hindu lifestyle then please refer me to that resource?

I would recommend the yamas and niyamas, although they tend to be for the very serious. They are translated as restraints (don'ts) and observances (dos). They are the first two stages of the 8 stages of Patanjali's yoga sutras. Just google 'yamas and niyamas' and you'll get quite a few variable translations.

Great, will do thank you! I don't see that those in my circles will be the serious type to go heavy into their religion but who knows maybe they might have a read or I can go through it just for the knowledge as I have done with the other religions.

Are those Yamas and niyamas the Authority on true Hindu do's and don'ts though or only maybe relating to just one sect of Hinduism?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Great, will do thank you! I don't see that those in my circles will be the serious type to go heavy into their religion but who knows maybe they might have a read or I can go through it just for the knowledge as I have done with the other religions.

Are those Yamas and niyamas the Authority on true Hindu do's and don'ts though or only maybe relating to just one sect of Hinduism?

They're pretty general.