• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu-Christian resources?

Are there any authors, books, websites, etc. that any of you know about in regards to a Christianity-Hinduism fusion?

I'm somewhat familiar with Bede Griffiths and Eknath Easwaran, who were both influenced by both religions.

If y'all have good resources, I'd love to see them! :angel2:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You might try Self-Realisation Fellowship, Swami Kriyananda, or several others that are of this syncretic blend. Many of the 'Hindu' organisations in the west follow this, so it won't be hard.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Self-Realization Fellowship was founded by Paramahansa Yogananda; Swami Sivananda founded The Divine Life Society; Swami Vivekananda; Swami Prabhavananda (The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta, excelent book); Swami Chinmayananda; Swami Krishnananda. They are all of the Hinduism-adding-elements-of-Christianity schools of thought and teaching, mainly aimed at the west.

TomD

Christianity and the Doctrine of Non-Dualism by the anonymous Christian 'Monk of the West' covers that pretty well, I think.

Abishai100

Fortune and Ambition: Irish Folklore and Hindu Mythology (Subject)

There is definitely potential here for great intellectual learning. The Hindu god Shiva presides over matters of governance and destruction, and the Irish folkloric creature/spirit the Leprechaun is a mischievous imp who tricks people lusting after gold. Since gold, sacraments, and fortune are key themes of ethics contemplation in Christianity, and Christianity is so popular in America (where Irish culture abounds), we can see why Hollywood (USA) would create a spiritualism-horror film such as "Leprechaun" [1993].

Try finding reading sources that explore how Hinduism and Christianity both explore the spiritualism involved with wealth, fortune, and serendipity.

I'm not aware of specific books, but that subject will definitely get you to interesting places in your research.

Lubdan the Leprechaun

Shiva

Leprechaunposter.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
***Thread moved to Interfaith Discussion. Syncretic Religion is an actual religion not an interfaith discussion area.***

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Swami Vishwananda of Bhakti Marga mixes Hinduism with Eastern Orthodox Christianity. However, from what I read, he isn't so strong on philosophy, he rather states that is all about "love, love, love" :facepalm: