• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIndu atheism and puja

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am not Hindu, but I really love the religion. However, I have a couple of questions. What is the point of putting food on an altar to a god/goddess? If one is atheist and Hindu, what purpose would it serve to worship a god/goddess? Is puja required of Hindus? Thanks!

Kirran

Premium Member
I am not Hindu, but I really love the religion. However, I have a couple of questions. What is the point of putting food on an altar to a god/goddess? If one is atheist and Hindu, what purpose would it serve to worship a god/goddess? Is puja required of Hindus? Thanks!

If you're atheist, you'd do it because the act symbolises something meaningful to you, or it is a part of your cultural heritage that you value.

Puja is not required of Hindus. If you are devotional, and approach God through worship, then puja is likely to be a big part of that. But not all Hindus include devotion in their practice and approach. Other Hindus just do meditation, or just do service, or don't do anything in particular but identify as Hindu.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If you're atheist, you'd do it because the act symbolises something meaningful to you, or it is a part of your cultural heritage that you value.

Puja is not required of Hindus. If you are devotional, and approach God through worship, then puja is likely to be a big part of that. But not all Hindus include devotion in their practice and approach. Other Hindus just do meditation, or just do service, or don't do anything in particular but identify as Hindu.

Oh wow, I was not aware that puja was not necessarily part of the religion. I am becoming more intrigued.

Kirran

Premium Member
Oh wow, I was not aware that puja was not necessarily part of the religion. I am becoming more intrigued.

There isn't anything that is necessarily part of the religion to be honest. Dharma (doing your duty, living a righteous life) and karma (cause and effect) are the closest things to universal, but even they are really just words for concepts found across religions. Hinduism is a big tent.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Puja largely depends on the individual. Many Hindus see Puja as important to devotion practices. Others might see it as a cultural or familial duty to perform. Others still see it as training wheels. Something tangible to learn devotion from and move onto meditation. Some don't do it at all. It's really up to the individual to decide for themselves what Puja means to them. That includes Athiests. Athiest Hindus like most (if not all) Hindus respect the traditions of their fellows. Temple is often a nice place to relax and just sort of connect with family and friends.
Offering food and drink is largely done to appease the God/s. To feed and nourish them as they/it/she/he nourishes us. Usually Hindus will eat what is offered at the end of the Puja as they believe the food is blessed by their respective deity. Then we all have dinner, at least if you go to a Temple at the right time of day. Or somebody's house

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

From the mystic POV, the food attracts the devas (inner beings) just as other sacraments like incense, flame, do. We (Hindus following a mystical lineage) believe they come and eat the aastral double that is formed in the second world. In temples food is often offered behind curtains and out of sight. Atheists, I don't know either. I can't imagine an atheist Hindu putting a lot of effort into puja.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There isn't anything that is necessarily part of the religion to be honest. Dharma (doing your duty, living a righteous life) and karma (cause and effect) are the closest things to universal, but even they are really just words for concepts found across religions. Hinduism is a big tent.

That's why I love the eastern religions so much!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Never met an atheist Hindu IRL mind.

Atheism-theism is ultimately a dichotomy to be transcended anyway.

I have. There are even entire Atheist schools of Hinduism. The one I met merely used Hinduism as a philosophy towards life, which I assume is a prominent way of thinking among Atheist Hindus. Hell I constantly teeter on the edge of Atheism myself. Even still Puja will always have a place in my life, if only because of my heritage and familial duty.

Kirran

Premium Member
You can become either a theistic leaning atheist, or an atheistic leaning theist. Your choice, or not.

Can I just stick to God?

I have. There are even entire Atheist schools of Hinduism. The one I met merely used Hinduism as a philosophy towards life, which I assume is a prominent way of thinking among Atheist Hindus..

Oh, I know there are schools! I just rarely meet the adherents. Interesting you have, that's cool.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, I know there are schools! I just rarely meet the adherents. Interesting you have, that's cool.
Yeah he was a pretty chill bloke. I used to serve him at work every week and then randomly met him at a friend's party. We ended up having a philosophical discussion, but I may or may not have been drinking, so my memory might be a tad....hazy.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We had an atheist on our board of trustees for our temple. He worked hard because he was a community focused person. He knew the community wanted it, put his ego at the door, his personal inclination to the backburner(some of the time anyway) and worked for the betterment of his community. At first I found it rather odd, but eventually adjusted.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Kirran has explained it nicely. My wife does puja regularly (sort of for all of us). Other members just bow to the deities before going out of the house. My grandsons do mantra recitations before sleeping. I am a Hindu atheist. On special occasions, every body joins. I too join happily because it is culturally important.
Never met an atheist Hindu IRL mind.
How come, you have interacted with me for quite some time now.
Can I just stick to God?
You can do that if there is one (or there are many Gods and Goddesses). They must exist before you can stick to one (or many).

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

"Thirza Fallen"

Namaste,

What is the point of putting food on an altar to a god/goddess?

The point is to establish a sense of giving back to the Deva/Devi (Givers), as they provide food for us, we offer some back in thanks and appreciation.

The Offering (Prasad) is almost always eaten by the Devotees (if Puja at home) or distributed to the people (if Puja in Temple), or if there is any left over it is given to Animals/Insects to eat, this also reinforces the idea of sharing and not wasting any food.

All living beings get to eat Prasad.

If one is atheist and Hindu, what purpose would it serve to worship a god/goddess?

Probably a similar purpose, without the recognition of the personifications of the Givers (Devi/Deva E.g Lakshmi = Provider of Wealth/Well being/Prosperity).

Is puja required of Hindus?

It is not a requirement as far as i know, it is performed out of Shrudha or it at least should be.

Dhanyavad

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Kirran has explained it nicely. My wife does puja regularly (sort of for all of us). Other members just bow to the deities before going out of the house. My grandsons do mantra recitations before sleeping. I am a Hindu atheist. On special occasions, every body joins. I too join happily because it is culturally important.How come, you have interacted with me for quite some time now.You can do that if there is one (or there are many Gods and Goddesses). They must exist before you can stick to one (or many).

I was hoping you would reply. How does a Hindu atheist view the myriad of gods or the idea of deity in general?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I can only say about myself. They are fun, interesting stories and a lot to learn from these stories. For a Hindu these stories define what is good and what is bad.