• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu and Buddhist Buddha are two different people?

ronki23

Is this true?

I thought Siddhartha was the penultimate incarnation of Vishnu before Kalki (to me that's Jesus' second coming )

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not all Vaishnavas believe Buddha is an incarnation of Vishnu. My temple is a Vishnu temple but there’s not an image of Buddha to be found.

On the other hand there is this:

image026.jpg
23) BUDDHA AVATAR (Incarnation as Buddha) : The twenty-third incarnation of Lord Vishnu was as Lord Buddha. In the Kaliyuga the demons were completely subjugated by the deities. Shukracharya the teacher of the demons instigated the demons to perform Yagya so that they could regain power and authority. Fearing this the deities prayed to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Buddha and dissuaded the demons from performing Yagya (24 Avataars of Lord Vishnu)

But I’m not so sure the two Buddhas are the same.

ronki23

This is why I reject conventional Hinduism and simply believe in the Buddhas and the Gurus there's only 2 slots left after Krishna in the Chaubis Avatar: Buddha and Kalki/Jesus and Hindus can't agree on those avatars.

Another reason is we have 33 million God's but far less Gurus/Buddhas. I'd rather just follow those than Gods who haven't been proven to exist (please do not think I'm atheist; I simply prefer the Sikh concept of God)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Far as I know, the concept of Buddha is indeed indigenous to Hinduism and inherited from it into Buddhism.

This video is the first I hear of anyone equating the Buddha with an incarnation of Vishnu for the purpose of converting people from Hinduism into Buddhism, although I have heard plenty of the other way around.

Beyond that, all that I can say is that much of the video is clearly a specific take that may not be well supported by evidence. And that the date of Siddharta's birth is given as about 700 years earlier than is generally accepted.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Far as I know, the concept of Buddha is indeed indigenous to Hinduism and inherited from it into Buddhism.

This video is the first I hear of anyone equating the Buddha with an incarnation of Vishnu for the purpose of converting people from Hinduism into Buddhism, although I have heard plenty of the other way around.

Beyond that, all that I can say is that much of the video is clearly a specific take that may not be well supported by evidence. And that the date of Siddharta's birth is given as about 700 years earlier than is generally accepted.
Indeed, the focus of the video is not on Buddha's teachings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To many Hindus (myself included in the theist mode), Buddha is certainly the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu. I strongly resent any maligning of Lord Buddha.
For me what Jayadeva says in Gita-Govindam is true:

"Nindasi yajnavidher-ahaha srutijatam, sadaya-hridaya darsitapasughatam;
kesava dhrita buddha sarira, jaya jagadisa hare."

(You condemn the ritualistic portion of the Vedas ordaining the killing of animals out of compassion of your heart. O Kesava. you took the form of Lord Buddha, victory to you.)

Last edited:

shivsomashekhar

There was only one Buddha - Gautama/Sidhartha, who lived around the 5th Century BCE.

Several centuries later, during the Gupta period, the Vaishnavas avatarized him and inserted his name as the 9th avatar into the list of Vishnu avatars. The Mahabharata has two separate lists of Vishnu avatars and the Buddha’s name appears in only one of them. Some of the main stream Puranas too do not count the Buddha as an avatar.

I recommend “The rise and fall of Buddhism in India” for details on the popularity of Buddhism (after Ashoka), it’s impact on Brahmins and its subsequent decline due to loss of patronage and foreign invaders.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Karma-kandi (ritual performing) brahmins had a grudge against Buddha, not the others. I belong to a karma-kandi brahmin family and I can understand that.