• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hijab

Doodlebug02

Hi everyone. I have done extensive research in to Islam and I am very intrigued by it. But one thing bothers me, the hijab requirement for women. What is a woman to do who wants to convert to Islam but doesn't want to have to wear the hijab in public for fear of discrimination and harassment? Is such a woman still required to wear the hijab?

Fatihah

Hi everyone. I have done extensive research in to Islam and I am very intrigued by it. But one thing bothers me, the hijab requirement for women. What is a woman to do who wants to convert to Islam but doesn't want to have to wear the hijab in public for fear of discrimination and harassment? Is such a woman still required to wear the hijab?

Response: The hijab is to show a woman's modesty. A modest woman does not jeapordize her modesty to please the public. Nor does a man for that matter. Some things are not that serious. If we looked at it this way, there is also harassment for not wearing the hijab and not being modest. Does this give right to be promiscuous? As long as your life is not threatened, you should practice hijab.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Hi everyone. I have done extensive research in to Islam and I am very intrigued by it.

Thanks be to Allah :)

Holly said:
But one thing bothers me, the hijab requirement for women. What is a woman to do who wants to convert to Islam but doesn't want to have to wear the hijab in public for fear of discrimination and harassment? Is such a woman still required to wear the hijab?

In Islam the believer should submit to the orders of God. Allah wouldn't prescribe Hijab for women if it's harmful or bad for us. True Muslims say: "We heard O Lord and we do obey"
All Allah's injunctions are good for us, since He created us He is the only One who knows what's really good for us. Therefore, it's better that we trust Him and follow His rules, that is submisssion and that is the religion of Islam :)

This might be of interest and benefit to you: All about Hijab

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that Islam, the religion, is more important than a minor issue compared to it like hijab. I know many women who embraced Islam and were wearing the hijab at first only when they pray at the mosque. Some of them got the courage to wear it in public later on, and some of them didn't do it yet until now.

I recall a story in the past when someone wanted to convert to Islam but he was obsessed with drinking, i think it was in the time of the Prophet, he didn't tell him come later when you stop drinking wine. He encouraged him to become a Muslim, then one time, this man stopped drinking on his own because faith has sustained him to make the decision to stop drinking, with the help of Allah.

So my answer would be, if hijab was the only issue you are concerned with, then go a head and become a Muslim and don't worry about some people who might judge you, because your intention is to please God, not human beings, and he knows what is in your heart and your deep love for him, and he also knows what you can and what you can't do.

[286] On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; our Lord! lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; help us against those who stand against Faith." (Quran 2:286)

Peace and blessing. :)

Last edited:

maro

muslimah
Holly , how about wearing modestly outdoors..and keeping the hijab only for the mosque..as a start...is that achievable ?

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
Hi Holly.... Firstly May Allah (Swt) guide us all to his right path.... I think that you have to take the first step. If you are convinced with Islam as the right path, then don't hesitate to embrace it. After that take it step by step ( as wearing it during prayers...etc) and ask Allah to make you love it. :)

I believe that Islam, the religion, is more important than a minor issue compared to it like hijab. I know many women who embraced Islam and were wearing the hijab at first only when they pray at the mosque. Some of them got the courage to wear it in public later on, and some of them didn't do it yet until now.

I recall a story in the past when someone wanted to convert to Islam but he was obsessed with drinking, i think it was in the time of the Prophet, he didn't tell him come later when you stop drinking wine. He encouraged him to become a Muslim, then one time, this man stopped drinking on his own because faith has sustained him to make the decision to stop drinking, with the help of Allah.

So my answer would be, if hijab was the only issue you are concerned with, then go a head and become a Muslim and don't worry about some people who might judge you, because your intention is to please God, not human beings, and he knows what is in your heart and your deep love for him, and he also knows what you can and what you can't do.

[286] On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; our Lord! lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; help us against those who stand against Faith." (Quran 2:286)

Peace and blessing. :)

Exactly!