• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High Christology Among Christian Wiccans?

Being

Being
Hi.
Since leaving Christianity after 51 years (from birth), I have been exploring Paganism again. (I secretly explored it some while I was a Christian.) I am curious to learn the views of people who regard themselves as Christo-Pagans, and in particular Christian Wiccans.

I would like to know if you hold a high Christology. That is, do you regard Christ the highest above all others? But not in the orthodox or conventional theological sense. I'm looking for Christian Wiccans who do not hold a Trinitarian view. That is, your understanding of Christ is not based on the orthodox Christian Trinity. You do not view any being, entity, or deity that is above Christ -- not even a "Father" (Top God) above Christ. (And this would differ from a typical Gnostic view, which as I understand does believe in a God above Christ, that God being the "Heavenly Father," or "Abbas," as a separate "person" or entity, similar to the orthodox Christian Trinitarian concept.)

That is, you would view Christ as a transcendent being, entity, spirit, force, etc. that is the highest and all pervasive among deities. And perhaps there are some Christian Wiccans (and other Christo-Pagans) who are monotheists (who worship only Christ and no other "God" above Christ) or henotheists (who regard Christ as the highest). Or perhaps there are some Christian Wiccans who hold to a Oneness theology, and you recognize "Heavenly Father," or "Abbas," but you regard that entity as being incarnate as Jesus Christ.

I look forward to replies. If you do reply, please quote me, so I receive an alert.
Thanks,
Being

pearl

I would like to know if you hold a high Christology.

I am neither a Pagan nor Wiccan, I just have a question; how is your statement concerning Christology any different from
the high ,descending Christology, in the prologue of John's Gospel?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be."

Being

Being
I am neither a Pagan nor Wiccan, I just have a question; how is your statement concerning Christology any different from
the high ,descending Christology, in the prologue of John's Gospel?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be."

Hi, pcarl. Which specific statement in my OP are you referring to? Or do you mean the overall POV that I conveyed? That POV is not very different from the prologue of John's Gospel, which you quote. But as I mentioned in my OP, I am looking for people who consider themselves to be Christian Wiccans. I want to discuss the subject with them. ~ Peace, Being

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Hi, pcarl. Which specific statement in my OP are you referring to? Or do you mean the overall POV that I conveyed? That POV is not very different from the prologue of John's Gospel, which you quote. But as I mentioned in my OP, I am looking for people who consider themselves to be Christian Wiccans. I want to discuss the subject with them. ~ Peace, Being
Doubt you'll have a lot of replies in this dir. There seem not many left here :( just me :(

I believe that Jesus was the offspring of El and Mary, thus a demigod. (I'm a polytheist)

Araceli Cianna

That is, do you regard Christ the highest above all others?
That is, your understanding of Christ is not based on the orthodox Christian Trinity?
You do not view any being, entity, or deity that is above Christ -- not even a "Father" (Top God) above Christ?
That is, you would view Christ as a transcendent being, entity, spirit, force, etc. that is the highest and all pervasive among deities?
And perhaps there are some Christian Wiccans (and other Christo-Pagans) who are monotheists (who worship only Christ and no other "God" above Christ) or henotheists (who regard Christ as the highest)?
Or perhaps there are some Christian Wiccans who hold to a Oneness theology, and you recognize "Heavenly Father," or "Abbas," but you regard that entity as being incarnate as Jesus Christ?

Hi, I have split your post up into more direct questions that I can tackle one by one. I hope you are notified of my reply.

I don't label myself as christo-pagan or christian wiccan, but I do revere Jesus, as my family is Christian and he wants to work with me and it just seems natural.

I do not regard Christ as highest above all others. In fact I would regard him as a semi-divine being as such, that he was either adopted, or was something similar to an angel ('messenger'). He has both his human nature and his godly nature, so by definition he is actually a demi-god. That is how I see him.

I never believed in the Trinity even when I was a Christian. The Holy Spirit to me doesn't seem like its own person, and I do not believe in an Ultimate Supreme Being. So Jesus is one god among many. However, Mary by Catholic tradition was considered assumed into heaven in bodily form so whilst she was human she was also 'ascended', making her an adopted semi-divine figure too. So if I revere any it would be Jesus and Mary and those two are whom I work with the most.

So no, I do not believe in an entity that is above Christ, as he suggests as a 'Father' (yes in Gnosticism he was monotheistic too) BUT I can believe that as Jesus in Gnosticism talks about the 'unknowable' Father this highest entity is in fact non-existence itself, giving me a more pantheistic leaning to interpreting his word. The 'Father', this formless nameless unknown being cannot be directly perceived but we are all individual manifestations of it, and to know a more divine manifestation such as Jesus allows us to glimpse more into the 'All' that pervades us.

However I should admit I am more polytheistic (hard instead of soft) than pantheistic.

I am not monotheist but I am henotheistic/monolatristic and tend to view whatever deity I'm working with at the time as the ultimate manifestation. So if I'm working with Jesus that will be him.

Yes this is possible, but as Christ alluded to often he himself is not this 'higher entity', so it is more likely he is a unique image and manifestation of said entity.