• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi, im Taoist

Flow

NONE
Hello Im Taoist and I recently fell in love with Taoism and have chose it to help me live my live in harmony with the universe. Im very interested in such things like No-thought, meditation, and other things like that. Im a junior in High School and have taken a major change in my life. Im now becoming more deeper and instead of going out with friends, i would now rather be outside with nature and meditate in silence. One reason why I got into Taoism was the concept of Action threw non-Action. For about a year and 4 months I have been practicing meditation and have been able to stop my thoughts for 10 minuites at most.

I hope that I like it here and I hope to learn and help if I can.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Peace Taoist,

Nice to have you on the forums :) I'm both a Buddhist and Kemetic (Egyptian) Pagan. The school of Buddhism I belong to is Chinese Pure Land. I love having a Taoist on the forums, our spiritualities (Taoism and Buddhism) are so alike :) Looking forward to some discussions with you

Flow

NONE
Thank you all. And Yosef, I look forward to some good discussions with you, for Buddhism and Taoism are alike. I would say that Ch'an or Zen are the closest forms of Buddhism to Taoism. They seem to have blended a little when Mahayana Buddhism went north from India.

dust1n

Zindīq
Hello Im Taoist and I recently fell in love with Taoism and have chose it to help me live my live in harmony with the universe. Im very interested in such things like No-thought, meditation, and other things like that. Im a junior in High School and have taken a major change in my life. Im now becoming more deeper and instead of going out with friends, i would now rather be outside with nature and meditate in silence. One reason why I got into Taoism was the concept of Action threw non-Action. For about a year and 4 months I have been practicing meditation and have been able to stop my thoughts for 10 minuites at most.

I hope that I like it here and I hope to learn and help if I can.

If you want to become whole,
let yourself be partial.
If you want to become straight,
let yourself be crooked.
If you want to become full,
let yourself be empty.
If you want to be reborn,
let yourself die.
If you want to be given everything,
give everything up.

Welcome to RF.

Rainbow Mage

Thank you all. And Yosef, I look forward to some good discussions with you, for Buddhism and Taoism are alike. I would say that Ch'an or Zen are the closest forms of Buddhism to Taoism. They seem to have blended a little when Mahayana Buddhism went north from India.

Yes indeed, in fact, many people in China still practice them together

Flow

NONE
Welcome to the forum!
How do you know you are a taoist?

Everyone is. We are all one with the Tao whether we want to acknowledge it or not. We are all apart of the universal flow. I have just taken that into account and am on the way to fully accepting it. Are you?

dust1n

Zindīq
Everyone is. We are all one with the Tao whether we want to acknowledge it or not. We are all apart of the universal flow. I have just taken that into account and am on the way to fully accepting it.
It's unfortunate we can't know exactly what the Tao is or describe in our language - I love it's acknowledgment - there is a giant mystery, humans will never comprehend it; but at least we can comprehend the giant mystery as something unknowable. Not to mention the anarchic viewpoints of government. The 'rulers' who do less in terms of exercising power, the better ruler they are.

Rainbow Mage

Everyone is. We are all one with the Tao whether we want to acknowledge it or not. We are all apart of the universal flow. I have just taken that into account and am on the way to fully accepting it. Are you?

I think such a universal way does exist, but people have deviated from it. Several religions and cultures have called it a different thing. If the goal of Buddhism for the world was achieved, everyone and everything would be living in harmony with one another. The ancient Egyptians called this Ma'at. They taught that at one time humans lived according to the principles of Ma'at, but then human greed and lust caused them to deviate from it, and ever since then the gods have been trying to get people to return to it.

Onkara

Thanks for the reply! :)

There appears to be no "me" at the ultimate level of my investigation. I am rather like an over weight bird, as soon as I find a resting place with a religion to call my own, the branch breaks and I am left to fly about once more. :)

What is it that stops us from acknowledging that we are the Tao?

Mr Cheese

Tao « Prayers and Reflections

“One yin and one yang constitute what is known as Tao.” (I Ching) In “The Lau Tzu” (Tao Te Ching) the two forms of yin and yang refer to heaven and earth. This directly correlates with the concept of the Taoist trilogy, the San Ti, which postulates man is the same as heaven and earth.

1.. In Taoism, the basic, eternal principle of the universe that transcends reality and is the source of being, non-being, and change.
2.. In Confucianism, the right manner of human activity and virtuous conduct seen as stemming from universal criteria and ideals governing right, wrong, and other categories of existence. (American Heritage)
“Wu Chi creates Tai Chi, Tai Chi is the one Chi. One Chi generates Yin and Yang, and Yin and Yang can change in infinite ways.” This is also stated allegorically in the “Lau Tzu,” (“Tao Te Ching”). ” Tao produced oneness. Oneness produced duality, Duality evolved into the ten thousand things. The ten thousand things support the yin, and embrace the yang. It is the blending of the breaths (of yin and yang) that their harmony depends.”

Now compare this idea with the description of the monad from the Chaldean Oracles of Zoroaster….
This sequence of from the “Oracles,” reflects a parallel to the monad and Tai Chi that is unmistakable..

25. The Monad first existed, and the Paternal Monad still subsists.
26. When the Monad is extended, the Dyad is generated.
27. And beside Him is seated the Dyad which glitters with intellectual sections,
to govern all things and to order everything not ordered.
28. The Mind of the Father said that all things should be cut into Three, whose
Will assented, and immediately all things were so divided.
29. The Mind of the Eternal Father said into Three, governing all things by Mind.
30. The Father mingled every Spirit from this Triad.
31. All things are supplied from the bosom of this Triad.
32. All things are governed and subsist in this Triad
33. For thou must know that all things bow before the Three Supernals.
34. From thence floweth forth the Form of the Triad, being preexistent; not the
first Essence, but that whereby all things are measured.
35. And there appeared in it Virtue and Wisdom, and multiscient Truth.
36. For in each World shineth the Triad, over which the Monad ruleth.”
As you can figure the two concepts are the same, although they may be stated somewhat differently. We do not have to achieve Tao, we are already part of it. All we need to do is realize its potential.

--Tom Saunders

Come and behold: There is a dress that is visible to everyone. The simple people, when they see a person dressed beautifully, WHO APPEARS TO THEM DISTINGUISHED BY HIS CLOTHING, do not observe any further. THEY MAKE THEIR JUDGMENTS ABOUT HIM ACCORDING TO HIS DISTINGUISHED APPAREL and they consider the dress as the body OF MAN, and the body OF THE PERSON LIKE his soul.

Similar to this is the Torah. It has a body, which is composed of the commandments of the Torah that are called the ‘body of the Torah’. This body is clothed with garments, which are stories of this world. The ignorant of the world look only at that dress, which is the story in the Torah, and are not aware of anything more. They do not look at what lies beneath that dress. Those who know more do not look at the dress, but rather at the body beneath that dress. The wise, the sages, the servants of the Loftiest King, those that stood at Mount Sinai, look only at the soul OF THE TORAH, which is the essence of everything, the real Torah. In the destiny to come, they are destined to look at the soul, the soul of the Torah.

–the Zohar

A slave seeks only to be free and does not seek the master’s estate.
For a child it is not enough to be a child, but a child claims the
father’s inheritance.

Heirs to the dead are dead, and what they inherit is dead. Heirs to
the living are alive, and they inherit both the living and the dead.
The dead inherit nothing, for how could a dead person inherit? If a
dead person inherits the living, the living will not die and the dead
will come to life.

–Philip (Meyer translation)