• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi Ho Silver!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yesterday, I had just finished printing out a poem for my next book, when someone knocked. It was Molly, come to visit me with her dog, Silver.

I am clueless what triggered Silver, but the moment she crossed my threshold, she shot straight to my printer tray, grabbed the poem, and commenced chewing. I was stunned, and couldn’t think of a thing to say other than, “My poem!”.

But Molly, looking quite embarrassed for her dog, replied, “I’m sorry, Phil, but you see — Silver has good taste in poetry.”

joe1776

Yesterday, I had just finished printing out a poem for my next book, when someone knocked. It was Molly, come to visit me with her dog, Silver.

I am clueless what triggered Silver, but the moment she crossed my threshold, she shot straight to my printer tray, grabbed the poem, and commenced chewing. I was stunned, and couldn’t think of a thing to say other than, “My poem!”.

But Molly, looking quite embarrassed for her dog, replied, “I’m sorry, Phil, but you see — Silver has good taste in poetry.”
The dog ate your poetry?

Sure. I believe it.

I believe it!

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I wonder if this is one of those perceptual things, like the 'Yanny/Laurel' ambiguity that circulated not long ago. Makes me wonder if there is an actual script and what it says.

I distinctly remember it as 'Hi Yo, Silver', but I can see how it might be perceived as 'Hi Ho Silver' given the elide between the long 'I' sound and the following 'YO/HO'.

Added: my wife wants to get a dog. I wonder if it would have a taste for mathematics?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I distinctly remember it as 'Hi Yo, Silver', but ...
And I distinctly remember it as Hi Ho Silver -- one would think that it would be an easily resolved question.
(Note: there's a lesson here for the biblical literalists among us.)

Added: my wife wants to get a dog. I wonder if it would have a taste for mathematics?
I wouldn't count on it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I was a 'certain age', I WAS the Lone Ranger and KNOW the truth. It's "hi yo", all you theologically challenged heathens. So either gnash your teeth and wail or come into the light of true knowledge.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And I distinctly remember it as Hi Ho Silver -- one would think that it would be an easily resolved question.
(Note: there's a lesson here for the biblical literalists among us.)

This seems to resolve the issue: the original Lone Ranger movie, entitled 'Hi-Yo-Silver!':

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This seems to resolve the issue: the original Lone Ranger movie, entitled 'Hi-Yo-Silver!' ...

Except that the movie comes from 1938 while the article above notes: "The furthest I could peer back into time was 1933, and somehow we are still divided on the “Hi Yo” and “Hi Ho” issue."

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Everyone has it wrong...
Hi Ho was for his horse, Trigger.
Hi Yo was for his wife, David
:p

Bird123

They say the mark of a Great painter is what they do with the screw-ups. Perhaps, you need to look at that poem again. Maybe, you can go from good to Great. Sleep on it. Somehow, I think there is more Greatness waiting to come out of you.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Except that the movie comes from 1938 while the article above notes: "The furthest I could peer back into time was 1933, and somehow we are still divided on the “Hi Yo” and “Hi Ho” issue."

At the very least, it shows that the people who made the movie thought it was 'Hi Yo'. And, given that they were probable associated with the original production, I'm inclined to take their word on it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
At the very least, it shows that the people who made the movie thought it was 'Hi Yo'. And, given that they were probable associated with the original production, I'm inclined to take their word on it.
Gee, what could possibly be wrong with that assumption? After all, scripts are rarely if ever redacted. I humbly stand corrected.