• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi from Mark

mark_ward

I am new to faith. Left it late in life to start my journey. To cut along story short I am a 52 year old recovering alcoholic. Actively engaged in the AA 12 step program. For those familiar with the program , reliance on a "High Power" or at the very least acknowledgment that we need help from such is a key part o the program. Having had no faith or religious inclination I clung to the program itself as my higher power but the longer I am in the program the closer I am drawn to Jesus. So my journey begins. I live one day at a time and pray every day that I may have the strength to make it to tomorrow sober. One of the issues I am seeking help in is finding a church I feel comfortable with..i had always dismissed religion because of conflict with my social views on equality in marriage, abortion, sexuality etc. I realised though that dismissing the whole message because of being uneasy on certain issues did me no good, I accept Jesus as my saviour and wish to live my lift in His service

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Shalom and welcome. I wish you well on your journey into health.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I am new to faith. Left it late in life to start my journey. To cut along story short I am a 52 year old recovering alcoholic. Actively engaged in the AA 12 step program. For those familiar with the program , reliance on a "High Power" or at the very least acknowledgment that we need help from such is a key part o the program. Having had no faith or religious inclination I clung to the program itself as my higher power but the longer I am in the program the closer I am drawn to Jesus. So my journey begins. I live one day at a time and pray every day that I may have the strength to make it to tomorrow sober. One of the issues I am seeking help in is finding a church I feel comfortable with..i had always dismissed religion because of conflict with my social views on equality in marriage, abortion, sexuality etc. I realised though that dismissing the whole message because of being uneasy on certain issues did me no good, I accept Jesus as my saviour and wish to live my lift in His service
I'm glad you've started to get over your alcoholism, but I loathe AA for this precise reason. It's like a vulture, preying on those at their lowest point to convert them.

mark_ward

to be fair they make no demands nor ask that anyone seeks out the Church. I found it to be a natural step on my journey, many don't

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
to be fair they make no demands nor ask that anyone seeks out the Church. I found it to be a natural step on my journey, many don't
Eh. I've heard a lot of mixed stories regarding that. AA makes it clear that as far as they're concerned, you need some sort of God(preferably Jeebus) to get over your alcoholism. Something I personally find degrading and insulting. But I'm a Heathen, I don't enjoy being told I'm somehow broken or otherwise need help in general.

mark_ward

they state that you need help from a higher power, is up to you what that higher power is. One of the best speakers I ever heard, a very inspirational guy who has 30 + years of sobriety maintains his Harley Davidson is his higher power. others have a sense of calm quiet place where they go to in their minds at times of stress, at the very least the lack of insistence in God as the higher power is true in the Canadian ( Eastern Ontario) AA meetings I attend, might well be different elsewhere

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
they state that you need help from a higher power, is up to you what that higher power is. One of the best speakers I ever heard, a very inspirational guy who has 30 + years of sobriety maintains his Harley Davidson is his higher power. others have a sense of calm quiet place where they go to in their minds at times of stress, at the very least the lack of insistence in God as the higher power is true in the Canadian ( Eastern Ontario) AA meetings I attend, might well be different elsewhere
Ooooh, I see now. Here in the states, it is a very Christian-focused sort of group.

David1967

Premium Member

Welcome Mark. Hope you enjoy it here.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ooooh, I see now. Here in the states, it is a very Christian-focused sort of group.

I learnt something new. I thought AA programs were nonbias and helped people with alcoholic issues without pressure. That reminds me of the Catholic program I ran across called CURE I believe. They were well-intentioned to their belief but the goal was to help LGBTQ accept their disordered orientation, control temptation, and if they wanted, start to build a healthy relationship with the opposite gender and/or associate who they are as a female or male with the sex they were born with.

I thought AA was more of a social services group for the community. Interesting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

As a special welcoming gift, you get extra bacon on your sammich today....
we-order-whopper-with-1050-bacon-strips-struggle-to-level-comically-huge-burger1.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
tbh that is my experience locally

Ah. Yeah, America is very Christianized. I was in a Rehabilitation for job hunting for people with disabilities. It's not a religious program; and, you have people from all walks of life-from those who committed felonies to jane does like me. Later during the program, for some reason the facility decided to bring christianity in. The program was already horrible, staff un-trained, and then using religion as a means to keep people in the program rather than helping people get out. It's horrible. I don't know what part of United States that hasn't any influence on people based on christian values.

But this isn't locally, unfortunately.

Good you are not "forced" to believe in a higher power. In my opinion, just a thought of that in the program sets me uneased. A lot of religious history over here. I can't remember how it was before Canada became it's own country. It was part of the states I think in early 1990s or something.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Greetings!

As a special welcoming gift, you get extra bacon on your sammich today....
we-order-whopper-with-1050-bacon-strips-struggle-to-level-comically-huge-burger1.jpg

Revoltingest.......the man is trying to get over his addiction.....promoting yours is not helpful. :eek:

Think healthy!!!!! OK? H-E-A-L-T-H-Y.......:D

That sammich is truly disgusting. :facepalm:

Do they have "Bacon Anonymous"? I think I t's time to get some help my friend....:p

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Good on you for seeking help, Mark. It's a tough addiction to break, but one that seems to have a common base with all who seek it as an escape from an unbearable reality. Relief from those 'inner demons', some of which can be very difficult to confront, is all too easy with alcohol, but the sting in the tail is a killer.

I have yet to meet an alcoholic who was not a self-medicating depressive. You just chose the wrong 'medicine'.

One of my dearest friends is a recovering alcoholic and she has been battling her demons for over 60 years......still day to day. But an awful family history that completely demolished her self esteem, still resurfaces to bring back the bad memories and send her mind into a blind panic. Through AA she is able to keep her battle ongoing. The disease is little understood by people in general who just see drunks as bad people......I know they aren't. They are just ordinary people who need help, not judgment.

I hope you can gain the strength to conquer the problems that led you to alcohol in the first place. Is there an inherited factor in your case? A good psychologist is also recommended to get to the bottom of the deeper things.

All the best with the programme......and finding your Higher Power.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Revoltingest.......the man is trying to get over his addiction.....promoting yours is not helpful. :eek:

Think healthy!!!!! OK? H-E-A-L-T-H-Y.......:D

That sammich is truly disgusting. :facepalm:

Do they have "Bacon Anonymous"? I think I t's time to get some help my friend....:p
Yes, we meet here....
th

mark_ward

Ah. Yeah, America is very Christianized. I was in a Rehabilitation for job hunting for people with disabilities. It's not a religious program; and, you have people from all walks of life-from those who committed felonies to jane does like me. Later during the program, for some reason the facility decided to bring christianity in. The program was already horrible, staff un-trained, and then using religion as a means to keep people in the program rather than helping people get out. It's horrible. I don't know what part of United States that hasn't any influence on people based on christian values.

But this isn't locally, unfortunately.

Good you are not "forced" to believe in a higher power. In my opinion, just a thought of that in the program sets me uneased. A lot of religious history over here. I can't remember how it was before Canada became it's own country. It was part of the states I think in early 1990s or something.
Canada has never been part of the US. In fact we celebrate our 150th birthday on July 1st. 150 years since we became independent from the UK

mark_ward

Good on you for seeking help, Mark. It's a tough addiction to break, but one that seems to have a common base with all who seek it as an escape from an unbearable reality. Relief from those 'inner demons', some of which can be very difficult to confront, is all too easy with alcohol, but the sting in the tail is a killer.

I have yet to meet an alcoholic who was not a self-medicating depressive. You just chose the wrong 'medicine'.

One of my dearest friends is a recovering alcoholic and she has been battling her demons for over 60 years......still day to day. But an awful family history that completely demolished her self esteem, still resurfaces to bring back the bad memories and send her mind into a blind panic. Through AA she is able to keep her battle ongoing. The disease is little understood by people in general who just see drunks as bad people......I know they aren't. They are just ordinary people who need help, not judgment.

I hope you can gain the strength to conquer the problems that led you to alcohol in the first place. Is there an inherited factor in your case? A good psychologist is also recommended to get to the bottom of the deeper things.

All the best with the programme......and finding your Higher Power.
Thanks