• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hi everybody

gregoo

well, I'm a 38 years old french guy. Since my childhoof I've always ask myself about the Big Questions ( why are we on earth, why am I born here in my family ; meaning of life). I grew up in an atheist family and I've always wonder about God. As I have no christian culture , the dominant catholic culture ( France is an overwhelming catholic country, so for most french people, christianism = catholicism ) seem to me very strange with its dogmas ... I've always been skeptical ( what do the religion have to say about Evolution ? about technology ? ).

but I must confess I cannot believe that this wonderful Life we enjoy, this beautiful Nature and earth we live in is just the output of a meaningless universe. I strongly feel there is something behind all those things. I also think that Mankind has a duty, a goal in this global scheme ...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

We have some real treats for you.....
Burns-Moray-cut-600.htm

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
well, I'm a 38 years old french guy. Since my childhoof I've always ask myself about the Big Questions ( why are we on earth, why am I born here in my family ; meaning of life). I grew up in an atheist family and I've always wonder about God. As I have no christian culture , the dominant catholic culture ( France is an overwhelming catholic country, so for most french people, christianism = catholicism ) seem to me very strange with its dogmas ... I've always been skeptical ( what do the religion have to say about Evolution ? about technology ? ).

but I must confess I cannot believe that this wonderful Life we enjoy, this beautiful Nature and earth we live in is just the output of a meaningless universe. I strongly feel there is something behind all those things. I also think that Mankind has a duty, a goal in this global scheme ...

Hello and welcome.

I happen to be reading the works of a fellow French citizen: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - Wikipedia

While he was a Catholic priest he was very unorthodox. He embraced evolution, for example, and was a geologist. Ever read any of his books?

gregoo

Hello and welcome.

I happen to be reading the works of a fellow French citizen: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - Wikipedia

While he was a Catholic priest he was very unorthodox. He embraced evolution, for example, and was a geologist. Ever read any of his books?

Yes, I'm a big fan of Teilhard de Chardin, his writings are so inspiring...

Teilhard de Chardin was inspired by the french philosoph Henri Bergson.

I like so much the conclusion of Henri Bergson's book " The two sources of Morality and Religion" (published in 1932 ) :

Mankind lies groaning, half-crushed beneath the weight of its own progress.
Men do not sufficiently realize that their future is in their
own hands. Theirs is the task of determining first of all
whether they want to go on living or not. Theirs the responsi-
bility, then, for deciding if they want merely to live, or intend
to make just the extra effort required for fulfilling, even on
their refractory planet, the essential function of the universe,
which is a machine for the making of gods.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Yes, I'm a big fan of Teilhard de Chardin, his writings are so inspiring...

Teilhard de Chardin was inspired by the french philosoph Henri Bergson.

I like so much the conclusion of Henri Bergson's book " The two sources of Morality and Religion" (published in 1932 ) :

Mankind lies groaning, half-crushed beneath the weight of its own progress.
Men do not sufficiently realize that their future is in their
own hands. Theirs is the task of determining first of all
whether they want to go on living or not. Theirs the responsi-
bility, then, for deciding if they want merely to live, or intend
to make just the extra effort required for fulfilling, even on
their refractory planet, the essential function of the universe,
which is a machine for the making of gods.

Hello. I like that quote. I am not familiar with Bergson, will check out some of his writings.

pearl

While he was a Catholic priest he was very unorthodox.

Yes, a Jesuit and trained as a paleontologist and geologist.
From 'Hymn of the Universe', "The Mass on the World"

"Since once again, Lord-though this time nor in the forest of the Aisne, but in the steppes of Asia-I have neither bread no wine, not altar. I will raise myself beyond these symbols, up to the pure majesty of the real itself: I your priest will make the whole earth my altar and on it will offer you all the labors and sufferings of the world.. My paten and y chalice are the depths of a soul laid widely open to all the forces which in a moment will rise up from every corner of the earth and converge upon the Spirit."

Jim

Nets of Wonder

Welcome!