• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey there

Saffer

Hi All

I'm an occasional visitor on Personality Cafe and a few other Christian forums and thought I'd explore something more focused on religion as a wider concept. Some of the debate threads here remind me of debates I've seen on Personality Cafe, and admittedly I'm not someone who invests time in debates regularly, but I do like following them from time to time. While Youtube is a nice platform for a debate spectator (if you will), many debates I've followed disappointed me in that ad hominem arguments became more popular as the debates progressed - either throughout one video or in a series of response videos.

So on a more personal level, I'm a curious twentysomething South African. I've made up my mind about some of my core beliefs, but I find Karl Popper's idea that one should look at all the reasons a theory might not be correct to be valuable. Yeah I’ve since had to occasionally quench a lingering doubt here and there, but my worldview is still intact. I’m also a huge fan of Jordan Peterson.

So all in all I’m just looking for interesting discussions.

Tmac

Hi All

I'm an occasional visitor on Personality Cafe and a few other Christian forums and thought I'd explore something more focused on religion as a wider concept. Some of the debate threads here remind me of debates I've seen on Personality Cafe, and admittedly I'm not someone who invests time in debates regularly, but I do like following them from time to time. While Youtube is a nice platform for a debate spectator (if you will), many debates I've followed disappointed me in that ad hominem arguments became more popular as the debates progressed - either throughout one video or in a series of response videos.

So on a more personal level, I'm a curious twentysomething South African. I've made up my mind about some of my core beliefs, but I find Karl Popper's idea that one should look at all the reasons a theory might not be correct to be valuable. Yeah I’ve since had to occasionally quench a lingering doubt here and there, but my worldview is still intact. I’m also a huge fan of Jordan Peterson.

Do you think you will ever be a player or just a watcher?

Saffer

Do you think you will ever be a player or just a watcher?

Debate is an inevitability when differing opinions reside in the same space, so by taking part in any form of discussion, I’m not sure I’d be able to remain withdrawn, but I’m not a fan of the prolonged debates. In cases where the debate just lingers for days I’d call it a day and continue discussions in other threads.

Laika

Premium Member
Hi All

Hey there Saffer, Welcome to RF. I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Tmac

Debate is an inevitability when differing opinions reside in the same space, so by taking part in any form of discussion, I’m not sure I’d be able to remain withdrawn, but I’m not a fan of the prolonged debates. In cases where the debate just lingers for days I’d call it a day and continue discussions in other threads.

So stalemates are ok with you, I do understand when it appears as though to continue will not produce any fruit but how do you feel about a stalemate?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Debate doesn't linger, here,

Last edited:

Saffer

So stalemates are ok with you, I do understand when it appears as though to continue will not produce any fruit but how do you feel about a stalemate?

To be honest, I've never really grasped the win-or-lose dichotomy when it comes to debates. Haha that might even paint me as a postmodernist. The outcome of debate is elusive. In a sport, there's a concrete measurement of performance. A "no man's land" so to speak for objective judgement. Moreover, the winner gets the gold medal/trophy or most cash and the runners-up are compensated in accordance to a structural hierarchy. From what I've gathered from debates, there's no real objective point of departure once the debate has run its course, if it ever does. So if you're lucky you'd see a vote, like elections or a simple poll...but that doesn't guarantee that one candidate's arguments were more compelling than the other's. The voters could have tribal biases.

How do I feel about a stalemate? Perfectly fine. Assuming that neither side cedes forfeits, announcing a stalemate of some kind seems to be the practical resolve. That's of course overly professional for an internet debate. I'd assume all sides to move on and let the thread reside in the archives.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome Saffer!

Add some Tea and you are Staffer!
So, are you a good witch or a bad witch?
Tom
'Saffer' etymologically derives from 'Saffrica' which derives from South Africa, dead center between Brazil and Australia and directly above Antarctica.

Saffer

'Saffer' etymologically derives from 'Saffrica' which derives from South Africa, dead center between Brazil and Australia and directly above Antarctica.

I believe that's correct. It used to be a derogatory name, but I suppose we just got used to it.

Welcome Saffer!

Add some Tea and you are Staffer!
So, are you a good witch or a bad witch?
Tom

Hmm...would I be classified by my intentions or my deeds? Because then I'd be good and bad. ;)

Jumi

Welcome! I like what you said of questioning your own beliefs, it's a sign of strength and honesty. Whatever beliefs you come to, you'll be able to explain them to yourself and others.

Rational Agnostic

Hi All

Yeah this is my favorite religious forum on the net. I'm not always an active user, but have been using the forum more recently, and all of the discussions have been interesting and fairly civil.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings, Popper fan!

By joining us, you get some free.....
giphy.gif

And don't worry...I've never even nicked a finger.