• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey, Revoltingest, a more ethical kilt!

dianaiad

Next thing ya know, it'll be advertised as gluten free.

So...this guy makes his kilts with cotton and polyester/viscose, which is basically plastic and really bad for the environment, rather than with wool, which is not only a natural and biodegradable fabric, but is absolutely sustainable. It does no harm to the sheep from which the wool is taken. In fact, NOT sheering sheep in the spring causes real harm to the animal, which really cannot handle the summers with a full coat of wool. I mean, really; using cotton KILLS THE PLANT, where using wool is beneficial to the animal.

The 'faux leather' is ALSO non-biodegradable. I noticed that one of his 'selling points' was that wool would 'rot' after many years (that's...returning to the environment and being biodegradable, folks) but that his fabric would last a LOT longer. Yeah...like plastic bottles in a land fill.

"Free from animal products" is NOT necessarily 'good for the planet." In fact, most of the time it is anything but.

Excuse me. I am now going to go knit some real cashmere yarn, with a couple of other projects using merino wool, and wishing like anything that I could afford quivit. (that's the downhair from muskox..the softest and most expensive fiber there is, and it IS machine washable, since it does not felt).

After that, I'll admit to quilting with cotton fabric. After all, I don't mind killing the plant; it's going to die after blooming anyway. I just hate stupidity.

And please note: nothing I plan to do is going to harm an animal OR the planet, unlike this twit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Seems like a holier-than-thou vegan looking for some way to claim moral superiority that is actually probably worse for than environment than using wool.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Seems like a holier-than-thou vegan looking for some way to claim moral superiority that is actually probably worse for than environment than using wool.
To change the world I just change myself

Others also prefer to decide themselves

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To change the world I just change myself

Others also prefer to decide themselves
People can decide for themselves. But turning down something like wool to opt for synthetic fibers that don't decay as well and require pollution to produce? That's a disservice to the earth, and shouldn't be thought of as eco-friendly, green minded, rational, or morally superior.

stvdv

People can decide for themselves. But turning down something like wool to opt for synthetic fibers that don't decay as well and require pollution to produce? That's a disservice to the earth, and shouldn't be thought of as eco-friendly, green minded, rational, or morally superior.
I am also vegan. I see no problem in wool. As long as they don't take their "coat" when it's cold (I hate to be cold myself).

I do use plasic material (when shopping, the vegetables are put in plastic etc... garbage bin... ) myself in life, but try to minimalize.

I don't think that humans are capable to mess up the world on a scale like "Big Bang". But till then I do my best to reduce my "Tiny Bang".

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I dunno....the running joke among the curious is what the Scots wear under the kilt. I just found, on Amazon, the solution.

Edible male underwear.

Dunno why I went looking; I really didn't want to know.

Ha!

"What's under your kilt?"

"Take a peek and have a bite."

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Here, I thought this was going to be about kilts with a sewn in pouch, like my swimming trunks have.
Tom

dianaiad

I am also vegan. I see no problem in wool. As long as they don't take their "coat" when it's cold (I hate to be cold myself).

I do use plasic material (when shopping, the vegetables are put in plastic etc... garbage bin... ) myself in life, but try to minimalize.

I don't think that humans are capable to mess up the world on a scale like "Big Bang". But till then I do my best to reduce my "Tiny Bang".

Y'all know that politically, I lean very right. So it might be a bit of a surprise that I am more than a little bit 'environmentalist' in my personal views. I just looked in my closet, etc., and realized that I don't OWN any polyester stuff. It's all cotton or wool.. I also don't own any shoes with 'man made material.' Leather (sorry about that, people, but I think that plastic is worse for the world than using leather...and I also eat meat).

I knit and I quilt, and you won't find acrylic yarn anywhere near my workshop.

Even I hadn't realized exactly how 'yarn snobby' I had become, or how firmly I hold to the 'no plastic' thing. Yeah, I use plastic bottles, but I also RECYCLE them, every single one. I take my own sacks to the grocery stores.

So I sat down today and asked myself if I had just abandoned my conservative ideals, and I realized....nope. Those ARE conservative ideals. It's not the snowflake liberal university professors who are ultra careful about their lives in plastic.

It's the off the grid conservatives who are.

.....and though I can't live off the grid, I sure can be more careful of my own environment.

stvdv

Y'all know that politically, I lean very right. So it might be a bit of a surprise that I am more than a little bit 'environmentalist' in my personal views
I don't know much about left or right, but indeed I did not expect you to be 'environmentalist'

I just looked in my closet, etc., and realized that I don't OWN any polyester stuff. It's all cotton or wool
I love polyester shirts. If I 'sweat' and they are soaked with water they dry quick (even if I wear them). And as I don't use a washing machine, this polyester stuff is easier to clean. So I save on chemicals for washing, while using polyester shirts. I hope it balances out a bit. And these shirts last forever. 1 shirt I need per 2 years is my prognosis (I bought 5, already 5 years ago, and still in perfect shape. I can easy use them 5 more years).

. I also don't own any shoes with 'man made material.' Leather (sorry about that, people, but I think that plastic is worse for the world than using leather...and I also eat meat).
No need to be sorry to people. You don't make shoes of their skin, nor do you eat them; I hope:D... as you said you eat meat

I believe that eating animals is worse for the animal world than wearing polyester shirts. But I agree that natural lifestyle is less of a burden, so although I have 5 polyester blue shirts I cut down on cars (I never had a car). But I did buy a bike.

So,I think all people do the best they can. Some can live without meat, and others can live without polyester shirts. Together I think the World will manage (till next Big Bang).

and though I can't live off the grid, I sure can be more careful of my own environment.
:)I like that.
Could you live of the "RF grid"?

Last edited:

dianaiad

I don't know much about left or right, but indeed I did not expect you to be 'environmentalist'
...snip to...

Well now, that's interesting. Why not? Because I lean very far right, politically? What's that got to do with being careful of the environment?

Interesting insight into the generalizations the left makes about the right...

Oh, yeah, and vice versa, I suppose. (shrug) POLYESTER SHIRTS because they LAST LONGER? Yewww.

So do plastic bags in the ocean...same thing. As it happens, when your shirts finally become unwearable, you'll toss them, and some archaeologist two thousand years from now is going to dig it up and wonder 'what was he THINKING???"

Could you live of the "RF grid"?

Could I live off the RF grid?

I did for sixty odd years. I can again...though I wouldn't like it much.

Last edited:

stvdv

Well now, that's interesting. Why not? Because I lean very far right, politically?
No. I did not expect it. Mostly because that word crossses my mind very rarely. I don't think in terms of he is "environmentalist" and he is not. But now you mentioned it, I started thinking about it, and I could not remember you speaking about "environment". The replies of you, I read, were mostly about religion, hence "environmentalist" never came into my mind. Hence, I did not expect it.

And about politics I don't know much at all. I do know it's devided in left and right. And that's about it. I do remember in USA they have Democrats and Republicans. But don't ask me which is left or right. I believe both are "not right" most of the time:D. Trump lies so much, so I would never call him Right.

dianaiad

No. I did not expect it. Mostly because that word crossses my mind very rarely. I don't think in terms of he is "environmentalist" and he is not. But now you mentioned it, I started thinking about it, and I could not remember you speaking about "environment". The replies of you, I read, were mostly about religion, hence "environmentalist" never came into my mind. Hence, I did not expect it.

And about politics I don't know much at all. I do know it's devided in left and right. And that's about it. I do remember in USA they have Democrats and Republicans. But don't ask me which is left or right. I believe both are "not right" most of the time:D. Trump lies so much, so I would never call him Right.

Y'know, I keep hearing 'Trump lies so much,' but frankly, I don't see where he lies all that much. He is arrogant. He has a very loud mouth. He's offensive and someone should put parental controls on his twitter account, but 'lies so much?'

The left can't point to any lies, actually.

The problem is that he is way too blunt in telling the truth. He is NO politician.

but HE got something going with China where nobody else has been able to. (shrug) Dunno if that will stick, but nobody else has even gotten us THIS far.