• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Friends! I am back, and a question...

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
For those that remember me, my old account is Shivoham...but I forgot my password! So I made a new one, hope that's okay. I have been flip-flopping in my faith a lot, but Shiva has been calling me back.

So, a question! I am going to visit (hopefully when COVID is over) a Hindu temple a couple hours away from me. I've never been to a temple before, was wondering what are some things I should know? I know, for instance, to take my shoes off at the door and dress modestly, right?

Thanks for your help and kindness.

Name of Hara encompass. World be free from suffering :blossom:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If you know what temple you will be attending, you could check their website. Ours has a (small) list of things they ask you to do/not do(shoes off is one, though there are signs up when you walk in telling you that, and showing you where to put them).

Edit: I remember the first time I went into a temple, I stood there, having no clue what to do. When someone finally realized I had a problem, they came over and asked me if I had been in a temple, and I said no. She was happy to help, and I remember she took me to Ganesh, and said that firstly, when we enter the temple, we pray to Ganesh, who will remove all obstacles.

Feel free to ring the bell! It took us a few trips to understand we could do that...

Last edited:

ajay0

In a Shiva temple, there is sacred ash called Vibhuti to be found which can be put aesthetically on one's forehead.

Vibhuti - Wikipedia

Upon death and cremation, the human body is reduced to ash.

Vibhuti helps remind us of the certainty of death, which most people wilfully ignore. It is considered meritorious to be remind oneself of death in Hinduism and other religious traditions as it destroys our procrastination, lethargy and fills us with vitality and enthusiasm to live life intensely to the fullest, and earn spiritual and material prosperity.

ajay0

You can also check out a Prajapita Brahmakumari ashram or center in your region as well. The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam to represent God as an incorporeal point of light.

An another name for the Shivalingam is Jyotirlingam, with 'Jyoti' meaning light.

8cc233_1e859d1b689a48daa8e527330fc2b689~mv2.jpg

Shiva in sanskrit means 'the auspicious one' and Lingam means symbol or sign. Thus the Shivalingam actually means 'sign of the auspicious one'.

The Brahmakumaris centers are there in almost every country in the world and they teach 7 day courses on their religious philosophy and meditation techniques freely to the public through their centers or online sessions.

They are the only spiritual organisation in the world led, administered and taught by women, and have won 7 UN peace awards for their efforts in promoting global peace and harmony.