• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heroism

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What motivates acts of being a true hero? Something embedded into our moral code? An expectation by society to do so? Inability to think upon fight or flight and weigh the consequences? Inspiration from the divine?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think there might be a handful or more reasons someone does something heroic. I once had an insight into one of those reasons. A few decades ago, I was paying my way through university by working as a fire fighter for the city. One of the two things that most struck me about my years in the Fire Department was how tightly the men bonded with each other. They were almost to a man willing to lay down their lives for their "brothers". When I joined the Department, I was not at all expecting to find that sort of devotion. By the time I left, I had come to almost take it for granted.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think there might be a handful or more reasons someone does something heroic. I once had an insight into one of those reasons. A few decades ago, I was paying my way through university by working as a fire fighter for the city. One of the two things that most struck me about my years in the Fire Department was how tightly the men bonded with each other. They were almost to a man willing to lay down their lives for their "brothers". When I joined the Department, I was not at all expecting to find that sort of devotion. By the time I left, I had come to almost take it for granted.

That's commendable.

The closest I have come to being a hero, is sitting through the movie Mom's Night Out. Twice.

Erebus

A while back, I read that a high proportion of those who received medals for bravery were elder siblings. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember where I read it or find stats to back it up ... so take it with a pinch of salt.

If true, it might suggest that upbringing can contribute to heroism. Elder siblings are usually given more responsibility from a young age, particularly in regards to looking out for their younger siblings. Perhaps that carries on into later life?

Of course this isn't to suggest that younger siblings and those without brothers or sisters are incapable of heroism. It also doesn't mean that elder siblings are always more inclined to heroism. The suggestion is that a sense of responsibility for others instilled at an early age might be a good way to form somebody capable of heroism in later life.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What motivates acts of being a true hero? Something embedded into our moral code? An expectation by society to do so? Inability to think upon fight or flight and weigh the consequences? Inspiration from the divine?

Good topic. Since you put this in General Debates, I'm going with empathy.

If it was in a non-debate forum, my answer may have been slightly different. ;)

pearl

Living in a city that has experienced all too many fallen firefighters in the last decade, laying down their lives for brothers and sisters.
The other night one of the nurses, when referred to as a hero said, and I paraphrase, 'I am being forced to martyr myself.' A big difference between the firefighters and police and our medical heroes, the latter do not have the equipment necessary to do the job.

Terry Sampson

1. What motivates acts of being a true hero?
  2. Something embedded into our moral code?
  3. An expectation by society to do so?
  4. Inability to think upon fight or flight and weigh the consequences?
  5. Inspiration from the divine?
#5. I'm biased in favor of that opinion, but readily concede that my bias does not have scientific evidence to encourage and/or support my opinion.
#4. Uh-uh, I'm convinced that "inability to think" does not enter into the heroic act.
#3. Nor do social expectations.
#2. I think not. Seems to be a big leap from "Do no harm" to "Jump into the lion's den or wade into a pack of jackals" to rescue someone.
#1. Indubitably, so I think, commitment to a "first-responder's" mission (e.g. firemen, emergency medical personnel, etc.) is a relevant and important factor. However, IMO, the qualitatively "richest and greatest" heroic acts, more often than not, involve a single person seeing a need for immediate action, taking that action immediately at great risk, and successfully accomplishing that action.

Interestingly, thinking about the matter and briefly searching on-line, I found a surprising number of google hits: "neurobiology of heroism". https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=neurobiology+of+heroism

Heyo

Veteran Member
Not that I ever did anything requiring heroism but those few times I did the right thing, I was definitely out of my mind. One time I was so far gone that I didn't even remember what happened.