• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here is a ? If GOD isn't real...Y does it matter 2 U?

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
Yeah, that is about the ? 2 u that got this far

This is, per GOOGLE, a ""RELIGIOUS FORUM"" , so, if U R Not religious Y R U here??

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Several reasons:
While I don't believe that gods are real, I do believe that gods are part of the mythology that have informed everything from literature to music to philosophy and play a pivotal role in our history as a human species. Not learning about religions is cutting a lot of learning out, historically speaking. Even for those who are not religious.

Further, a significant portion of the human population are religious and active participants in the political and social environments we live in, which means we must try to understand their reasoning in perspective so that we can come to terms on policy-making and social expectations. I.e. how do religiously based ethics impact society both for good and for ill.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The Bible's promises for mankind's future, including Revelation 21:3-4, Psalms 37:29 (Matthew 5:5), Isaiah 11:6-9, etc., wouldn't happen.

danieldemol

Premium Member

This is, per GOOGLE, a ""RELIGIOUS FORUM"" , so, if U R Not religious Y R U here??
I believe in God, so I suppose I am semi religious.

But to the degree that I’m not religious it would be out of compassion for the self inflicted suffering of fundamentalist to help re-educate those who will be.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I browse a lot of websites that have to do with crypto currencies, even though I'm not a crypto currency.

HonestJoe

To correct bad grammar!

Seriously, religion and the existence of (a) god are two different things. Not all religions even involve gods (certainly not by conventional western definition). Religion is about things people say and do as a consequence of their beliefs. The things people say and do can have direct impact on me and so the reasons they say and do them are of interest.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

You aren't the first person to start a thread like this, but they always make me wonder about the motivation behind them. Do you think a person has to like a thing to want to talk or learn about it?

I mean, I also listen to history podcasts about revolutions and wars. Do you think these should only appeal to people who want to be in a war themselves?

That out of the way...

Originally, I came here when I was trying desperately to become religious. My (now ex-) wife, who was Catholic, was distraught at the idea of me going to Hell... but I couldn't see a path to accepting theism at all, let alone Catholic belief. I came here to talk about my questions and objections.

As it turns out, delving into religion took me further away from it, not closer.

Today, I'm fairly certain that I won't find any reason for religious faith that will pass muster for me, but I mostly stay for a few reasons:

- force of habit.
- to talk about things other than arguments for gods and religions (e.g. the proper role of religion in society, as well as topics that have nothing to do with religion).
- to see if I can find arguments for theistic beliefs that have any merit at all so that I can salvage some respect for religion. I find it uncomfortable to have contempt for a set of ideas that is so central to the lives of so many people.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Bible's promises for mankind's future, including Revelation 21:3-4, Psalms 37:29 (Matthew 5:5), Isaiah 11:6-9, etc., wouldn't happen.

I believe I agree that being rescued from a perishing world is a good thing and having eternal life without the presence of evil even better.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yeah. That is about the question to you that got this far.
This is per google "religious forum" if you are not religious, why are you here?

Okay. Now I can understand your question.

Since this forum is multi-religious, I don't mind talking and learning from people of other perspectives. Sometimes I learn something new, other times I don't.

A better question is if I went to an all Christian chat room (which I did once) and you wondered why was I there. Maybe curiosity. RF welcomes multiviews...

So, I'm not understanding, I don't think? Are you asking why (edit) n0n-religious would come to a multi-religious, political, and general conversation forum if they aren't religious?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I'm sorry, I misread the question.

You know, that's the first mistake I've made since....the last one.