• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here are five felonies Trump committed — if Cohen is telling the truth

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How long did it take for the spin to start? Ever notice the Usual Suspects have no problem taking the word of liars when they're impugning someone they don't like, though?
No time at all. These same Republican representatives have no problem taking testimony from convicted Mafiosos. Yet they all had a cow about Cohen.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
On June 3, 2011, Edwards was indicted by a federal grand jury on six felony charges of violating multiple federal campaign contribution laws to cover up an extramarital affair to which he admitted, following his 2008 campaign.

Edwards was found not guilty on one count, and the judge declared a mistrial on the remaining five charges, as the jury was unable to come to an agreement.

The Justice Department dropped the remaining charges and did not attempt to retry Edwards. Though it did not result in a criminal conviction, the revelation that Edwards had an extramarital affair and fathered a child while his wife, Elizabeth, was dying of cancer gravely damaged his public image and ended his career ………. wiki
Ah yes, remember the good old days when gross breaches of common decency were considered bad in politics?

sooda

Veteran Member
Wrong. Charges were dropped after a mistrial. You have mistaken Edwards testimony as evidence of innocence.

No.. The charges weren't dropped. The judge declared a mistrial and they didn't try him again.

Shad

Veteran Member
This demonstrates a lack of understanding of what case law precedent is and how it functions.

Nope. You are injecting context I did not state. I never said a legal precedent. I was pointing out the money Edwards used wasn't considered illegal and the DoJ never tried another trial. Also read the jury statement in which they thought he was guilty but the state couldn't prove knowledge of the payment. Trump can deny knowledge and get off like Edwards.

Curious George

Veteran Member
With Edwards... he was found guilty on one count .. there was a hung jury on the other 5 counts so the judge declared a mistrial.
Yet none of that matters.

It is true that prior court decisions provide case law precedent, however cases turn on facts. Whatever the case with Edwards no rules of law were established. Moreover Binding precedent only comes from higher courts. What happens in your case at the trial level is not binding precedent for my case at the trial level.

Not sure if I am making myself clear here. But the law, or even how we interpret the law, did not change because of Edwards case.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nope. You are injecting context I did not state. I never said a legal precedent. I was pointing out the money Edwards used wasn't considered illegal and the DoJ never tried another trial. Also read the jury statement in which they thought he was guilty but the state couldn't prove knowledge. Trump can deny knowledge and get off like Edwards.
You said it was precedent for a dismissal. That is wrong on every level.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
New thread

Cohen reveals Trump's entire presidency as a fraud

Trump thinks Americans are suckers
Well, a significant number voted for him. Some even still support him. I'd say if Trump thinks Americans are suckers, for practical purposes he's been proven right.

Shad

Veteran Member
You said it was precedent for a dismissal. That is wrong on every level.

Yes. Now read my comment and apply it to what I said. Not illegal conduct, charges dropped, belief in guilt but not evidence of knowledge. You know defense can file for dismissal right?

Shad

Veteran Member
Neither is @Shad . During his campaign Edward's made a secret payment to his pregnant mistress. He was able to argue that since she was pregnant he would have paid her anyway. Does anyone think that Trump can claim he would have paid the bribes anyway?

Trump denied the payments. You forget that. Edward acknowledge the payment. See the difference?

sooda

Veteran Member
Yet none of that matters.

It is true that prior court decisions provide case law precedent, however cases turn on facts. Whatever the case with Edwards no rules of law were established. Moreover Binding precedent only comes from higher courts. What happens in your case at the trial level is not binding precedent for my case at the trial level.

Not sure if I am making myself clear here. But the law, or even how we interpret the law, did not change because of Edwards case.

I know that.. but I need to clear up a mistake. Edwards was found NOT guilty on one count and since the jury couldn't come to a verdict on the 5 other counts, the judge declared a mistrial.

Campaign finance "crimes" are pretty toothless. I wonder when the public will wise up.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Trump denied the payments. You forget that. Edward acknowledge the payment. See the difference?
Right, Trump lied. Edwards told the truth. That only makes it worse for Trump. And it appears that you still do not understand why he cannot use the same excuse that Edwards used.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes. Now read my comment and apply it to what I said. Not illegal conduct, charges dropped, belief in guilt but not evidence of knowledge. You know defense can file for dismissal right?
The defense would likely be incompetent if they did not file for a dismissal. But, the Edwards case will not be cited or used in that filing. Nor, if there is a trial, would a dismissal likely be granted.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Of course they can. And a judge can have a good laugh at their expense.