• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Henotheism

SCBeam777

Definition: adherence to one particular god out of several, especially by a family, tribe, or other group.

Can you quote some samples of this in the Bible? They are there.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it depends upon one's interpretation of the Bible.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
1 Kings 11:7

Qemosh, Milcom, Astarte...are all deities Jews believe in. But Israel decided to follow Yahweh only.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Definition: adherence to one particular god out of several, especially by a family, tribe, or other group.

Can you quote some samples of this in the Bible? They are there.
Exodus 20.3: “You shall have no other gods before me."

Not "there are no other gods". The formulation clearly admits that there are other gods and that they shall not be worshipped by Israel.

Isaiah 45:5
"I am the LORD; there is no other god. I will give you the strength you need, although you do not know me.

Deuteronomy 4:35
That thou mightest know that the Lord he is God, and there is no other besides him.

Deuteronomy 32:39
See ye that I alone am, and there is no other God besides me: I will kill and I will make to live: I will strike, and I will heal, and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the Lord the king of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last, and besides me there is no God.

Isaiah 45:6
That they may know who are from the rising of the sun, and they who are from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is none else:

Isaiah 45:14
Thus saith the Lord: The labour of Egypt, and the merchandise of Ethiopia, and of Sabaim, men of stature shall come over to thee, and shall be thine: they shall walk after thee, they shall go bound with manacles: and they shall worship thee, and shall make supplication to thee: only in thee is God, and there is no God besides thee.

Isaiah 45:18
For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens, God himself that formed the earth, and made it, the very maker thereof: he did not create it in vain: he formed it to be inhabited. I am the Lord, and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:21
Tell ye, and come, and consult together: who hath declared this from the beginning, who hath foretold this from that time? Have not I the Lord, and there is no God else besides me? A just God and a saviour, there is none besides me.

Joel 2:27
And you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel: and I am the Lord your God, and there is none besides: and my people shall not be confounded forever.

Isaiah 44:8
Fear ye not, neither be ye troubled from that time I have made thee to hear, and have declared: you are my witnesses. Is there a God besides me, a maker, whom I have not known?

Psalms 40:4
Blessed is the man whose trust is in the name of the Lord; and who hath not had regard to vanities, and lying follies.

1 Chronicles 16:26
The gods of all other nations are only idols, but the LORD created the heavens.

Psalm 96:5
For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils: but the Lord made the heavens.

Jeremiah 10:11
Thus then shall you say to them: The gods that have not made heaven and earth, let them perish from the earth, and from among those places that are under heaven.

Psalm 115:4
The idols of the Gentiles are silver and gold, the works of the hands of men.

Deuteronomy 4:28
And there you shall serve gods, that were framed with men's hands: wood and stone, that neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.

1 Kings 18:26
And they took the bullock, which he gave them, and dressed it: and they called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying: O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered: and they leaped over the altar that they had made.

2 Kings 19:18
And they have cast their gods into the fire: for they were not gods, but the work of men's hands, of wood and stone, and they destroyed them.

2 Chronicles 32:19
And he spoke against the God of Jerusalem, as against the gods of the people of the earth, the works of the hands of men.

Isaiah 2:8
And their land is filled with horses: and their chariots are innumerable. Their land also is full of idols: they have adored the work of their own hands, which their own fingers have made.

Isaiah 37:19
And they have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods, but the works of men's hands, of wood and stone: and they broke them in pieces.

Jeremiah 16:20
Shall a man make gods unto himself and they are no gods?

Daniel 5:4
They drank wine, and praised their gods of gold, and of silver, of brass, of iron, and of wood, and of stone.

Daniel 5:23
But hast lifted thyself up against the Lord of heaven: and the vessels of his house have been brought before thee: and thou, and thy nobles, and thy wives, and thy concubines, have drunk wine in them: and thou hast praised the gods of silver, and of gold, and of brass, of iron, and of wood, and of stone, that neither see, nor hear, nor feel: but the God who hath thy breath in his hand, and all thy ways, thou hast not glorified.

Habakkuk 2:18
What doth the graven thing avail, because the maker thereof hath graven it, a molten, and a false image? because the forger thereof hath trusted in a thing of his own forging, to make dumb idols.

Jeremiah 2:11
No other nation has ever changed its gods, even though they were not real. But my people have exchanged me, the God who has brought them honor, for gods that can do nothing for them.

Romans 1:23
And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man and of birds, and of fourfooted beasts and of creeping things.

Galatians 4:8
But then indeed, not knowing God, you served them who, by nature, are not gods.

2 Chronicles 13:9
And you have cast out the priests of the Lord, the sons of Aaron, and the Levites: and you have made you priests, like all the nations of the earth: whosoever cometh and consecrateth his hand with a bullock of the herd, and with seven rams, is made a priest of those who are no gods.

Psalm 106:20
And they changed their glory into the likeness of a calf that eateth grass.

Ezekiel 14:5
That the house of Israel may be caught in their own heart, with which they have departed from me through all their idols.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Bible says whatever you want it to say,
so, why not just skip the bible.

Do you ever tire of Christian bashing? Just curious. I mean you must get some satisfaction out of it.