• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help!!!!!

Self

Hi everyone,

i have been having some religious problems lately. I was a Shaivite Hindu for a while and then became interested in Buddhism, but because of my lack of maturity I believe in went into it way to quickly. I miss God, the notion of a Soul, and things like that. So i did some deep introspection and contemplation and found what i really believe in and now I would like some help on finding what religion, or sect of a religion best follows these beliefs:

Is there a God- Yes
Is there a soul- Yes
What is my favorite path to God- Bhakti, yes I love devotion, chanting, and praying

Im doing this because i have grown to love this community and believe that you all can help me grow and find whats right for me. I have been doing religious searching for 3 years now and would like to find my niche. First I was interested in Advaita, then Zen, then Shaivism, then Vajrayana, now i just want to find a religion and settle down into it.

So could some people help me to find what religion fits best, or sect of religion fits best. And i thank before hand those who do help. And I dont want answers like, Stop seeking, or do nothing, etc. Im really not into that right now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Does it matter what you label yourself? Seems like you fit into Sanatan Dharma, which is as good a title as any when you have not yet reached Self Realisation. If your favourite path is Bhakti, then it seems obvious that Bhakti Yoga is your path. Remember, no path is wrong. Whatever course you take is specific to you and your individuality. It will always be unique even if you share a label with others.

You are very young. You should not be expected to understand reality fully. We have already existed forever (literally) without reaching Enlightenment. But if it is important to you to know what religion fits you perfectly then we can help. In the end though, you make your own religion even if you don't realise it.

Ok, so what do you understand about the nature of God and the soul? In other words, are you monothesitic, pantheistic, panentheistic etc. and do you believe in the duality of the soul in relation to God or Oneness or simultaneous oneness and difference etc.?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll be straight with you. If you believe in God and the soul then you are definitely not a Buddhist.

Self

Youre absolutly right Madhuri and thats why i know for a fact i went to quickly with the whole Buddhist thing and I feel, quite honestly, stupid for making the fast decision.

And for some reason I have grown a large connection and almost a love for Krishna. Im not sure why either. i looked up George Harrisons song entitled "Gopala Krishna" and I had this great feeling fill me up and i was in love with Krishna at that moment. Afterwords I looked up paintings of Krishna and was in awe.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Youre absolutly right Madhuri and thats why i know for a fact i went to quickly with the whole Buddhist thing and I feel, quite honestly, stupid for making the fast decision.

Don't feel stupid, it is all part of the learning process! :)

Self

Don't feel stupid, it is all part of the learning process! :)

Yeah, i know i shouldnt feel stupid for it because, your right, it is apart of the learning process. But, i am beginning to learn alot more about myself spiritually because of this though! I have also found that im leaning more towards Dualism wehn it comes between me and God. When I got interested in Advaita and other non-dual philosopies and that reality is a formless existence, I began to turn Atheistic. Because i felt that there is no personal being. And i dont like that at all because I love god and to turn Atheist would, i feel, be very bad. Maybe thats why I got into Buddhism.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, i know i shouldnt feel stupid for it because, your right, it is apart of the learning process. But, i am beginning to learn alot more about myself spiritually because of this though! I have also found that im leaning more towards Dualism wehn it comes between me and God. When I got interested in Advaita and other non-dual philosopies and that reality is a formless existence, I began to turn Atheistic. Because i felt that there is no personal being. And i dont like that at all because I love god and to turn Atheist would, i feel, be very bad. Maybe thats why I got into Buddhism.

Perhaps you are like me then and are attracted to Acintya Bhedabheda tattva.
My favourite metaphor for our relationship with God is that God is the ocean and the individual is a wave of on the ocean. The wave cannot say that it is the ocean but it can be said that the ocean becomes the wave.
In this philosophy, everything is part and parcel of the One but there remains an eternal distinctness from the Whole. Our individuality is eternal.

Self

Perhaps you are like me then and are attracted to Acintya Bhedabheda tattva.
My favourite metaphor for our relationship with God is that God is the ocean and the individual is a wave of on the ocean. The wave cannot say that it is the ocean but it can be said that the ocean becomes the wave.
In this philosophy, everything is part and parcel of the One but there remains an eternal distinctness from the Whole. Our individuality is eternal.

Acintya Bhedabheda tattva, thats a great philosophy! I looked it up and I like it alot. I will keep on studying it and what happens.

Self

Does it matter what you label yourself? Seems like you fit into Sanatan Dharma, which is as good a title as any when you have not yet reached Self Realisation. If your favourite path is Bhakti, then it seems obvious that Bhakti Yoga is your path. Remember, no path is wrong. Whatever course you take is specific to you and your individuality. It will always be unique even if you share a label with others.

You are very young. You should not be expected to understand reality fully. We have already existed forever (literally) without reaching Enlightenment. But if it is important to you to know what religion fits you perfectly then we can help. In the end though, you make your own religion even if you don't realise it.

Ok, so what do you understand about the nature of God and the soul? In other words, are you monothesitic, pantheistic, panentheistic etc. and do you believe in the duality of the soul in relation to God or Oneness or simultaneous oneness and difference etc.?

To me God is infinite in every way and when I look at my self i see that I am finite, so i see a difference. When it comes to the theisms, im Monotheistic. I see that there is one God whos scripture is Compassion. And I like the simultaeous oneness and difference best. When it comes to a personality to God, Im really beginning to love Krishna.

Just do selfless serive towards Lord Krishna. Love Krishna all day, all time, when eating, when sleeping, when working, when fasting, chant Hare Krishna Mantra, just be fully devoted towards Lord Krishna. Read Bhagvattam and Bhagvad GIta. This will surely get you innermost peace and satisfaction.

Also, I would like to add that all paths lead to the same GOD. But the path of Bhakti is easy and recommended in this Kali age.

Just think about Krishna. You are so right that when you start to hear about Krishna's stories or when you get in touch with a Krishna's devotee, all the bhakti in your body starts to rise up and you just become so devotional towards Krishna.

Don't think too much about what's right or wrong. They are either all right or all wrong. Just pick one and get close to GOD.

Hope this helps!

I recently watched all the videos they had on Prabhupada on Youtube. He is really impressive. Learned about his personal life, his journey to America and his initiatives for ISKON.

I dont care what people say about him for his comments on Mayavadi's but he is a true devotee of Lord Krishna. I am surprised how all those drug addicted white people were turned into Krishna's Bhakt and they were chanting Hare Krishna mantra. These were not a few people.. the numbers are in 10 thousands..It seems it was all Krishna's will and support for his Bhakta.

I still dont know how he died.

So, I would recommend you to watch his videos on youtube and you will surely get closer to Krishna.

Hare Krishna

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Im doing this because i have grown to love this community and believe that you all can help me grow and find whats right for me. I have been doing religious searching for 3 years now and would like to find my niche. First I was interested in Advaita, then Zen, then Shaivism, then Vajrayana, now i just want to find a religion and settle down into it.

Is there a God- Yes
Is there a soul- Yes
What is my favorite path to God- Bhakti, yes I love devotion, chanting, and praying

You should actually start choosing between Buddhism and Hinduism...becuase very few saints have been able to follow both advaita and vajrayana (they are different religions).They have similar philosophy at its goal-i,e non -dual.

Advaita is not actually dependent on soul/personal god for its end realisation.But no practicing advatins will deny soul/personal god.Because advaita is high goal,it is normally impossible to reach that state without devotion to god/bhakti.What I am saying is that: advaita is a superset over dvaita and others(my perspective this).

Buddhism does not have "notions" of soul and God,not that it denies what the Hindus called soul/god.So,if think you can accomodate devotion in Buddhism,you can carry on with it.

IMHO,Shaivism is quite orthodox kind of ascetic Hinduism.Actually you can start with Bhakti Yoga and then switch advaita/Shaivism meditation later.

But, i am beginning to learn alot more about myself spiritually because of this though! I have also found that im leaning more towards Dualism when it comes between me and God. When I got interested in Advaita and other non-dual philosopies and that reality is a formless existence, I began to turn Atheistic.Because i felt that there is no personal being. And i dont like that at all because I love god and to turn Atheist would, i feel, be very bad. Maybe thats why I got into Buddhism.

None of them athesitic ,whether it is advaita/Buddhism.Advaita/Shaivism is monistic theism.Actually,it makes no difference to normal humans like us: whether they are following dvaita/Advaita..Because to reach dvaita itself is very difficult,after reaching that state only the real advaita begins.

If in case you like the Bhakti Yoga,I recommend you against joining groups like ISKCON..I am sure other vaishnavas dont have this much "hate" against advata/other groups. They consider great saints Ramakrishna,Vivekananda(who have given 200% towards revival Hinduism) as cheats .I think Bhakti cannot associated with such "mullah" attitude.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi Yeshe. I know what's going on, since I'm similar. I'm in the Dharmic faiths, somewhere - but I'm not sure where yet. Hope I can help you, and you can help me. :)

Have you tried the Belief-O-Matic quiz?

I know what you mean about missing God, Soul, bhakti and stuff like that. I like Buddhism, but I would not like to not believe in them - so I will always only admire Buddhism from afar, I guess.

The statements Buddha made on these are a bit vague; some people believe that Buddha was silent because he didn't want to answer such questions as they were unnecessary to his teaching, or it was a mark of respect, others take his silence to mean there is no God.

Also, there is a verse mentioned in Wikipedia that may interest you.
In Samyutta Nikaya (SN) 4.400, Gautama Buddha was asked if there “was no soul (natthatta)”, which it is conventionally considered to be equivalent to Nihilism (ucchedavada). The Buddha himself has said: “Both formerly and now, I’ve never been a nihilist (vinayika), never been one who teaches the annihilation of a being, rather taught only the source of suffering, and its ending.”
- Source: Anatta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some have taken the concept of anatta to mean "there is no self, only the Supreme", which is the concept of Buddha-nature or Tathagatagarbha-nature, and it's a form of monism.

However, these views may not be accepted by many of the sangha, most of whom hold the view that there is no God, nor soul, in Buddhism. I don't think you would feel up to debating this all the time. I know I would not.

As others have said, check out Sanatana Dharma or Sikhi Dharma. One of these may be just what the doctor ordered.

Hope this helps! Let us know when you find your way, and don't give up.

Self

I thank you all very much on giving me advice and guidence. But, for the time being im going to take a break from the forums and do some introspection and contemplation to find whats right for me. Thanks for the help and I'll be back in probably two weeks to a month. At that point if I need more help i'll ask you all.

Self

Hi,

I have done some deep introspection and am now satisfied with what i have found. My path is a path that leads to the Self, God. In what ever way find necissary i will do that to get to the Self. The limits between religions are illusionary, so i dont see the reason to pick one. The real religion lies within the Heart, the Kingdom of God. There everything is found, there everything just is. I have chosen to do some simple austerities and they are:

Drink and eat dairy products, water, and orange juice. (This is just for living healthy)

Limit the eating of meat, or just dont eat any

Eat many fruits and vegetables and nuts

Fast one day a week

Meditate two hours a day during the week and four hours a day on the weekend

Remember God, so chant!

See God in all humans, animals, insects, and plants

Cease to serve the senses

My definition of an Austerity is that which allows material distractions to cease so concentration can be more on the Spiritual Path.

Thank You!