• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help!

Maya3

I cannot find this beautiful Hare Krishna chant, someone posted it here a while ago. It´s a woman who sings, and I think she has a connection to George Harrison, it´s a very melodious version of the mantra, it´s gorgeous. I looked on youtube, but I´m not getting the right one. Does anyone know which one a mean?

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rt0BWid7CQ

I play this on guitar (yes, I sing it in Sanskrit ;)), though I don't feel I do it proper justice to post my own video. :(

Govindam Adi Purusam tam aham bhajami
(roughly because of Skt. inflection: I worship Govinda [the/that] Original Lord)

venum kvanantam aravinda-dalayataksam
barhavatamsam asitambuda-sundarangam

kandarpa-koti-kamaniya-visesa-sobham

angani yasya sakalendriya-vrtti-manti
pasyanti panti kalayanti ciram jaganti
ananda-cinmaya-sad-ujjvala-vigrahasya
Govindam Adi Purusam tam aham bhajami ... to end

It's on an album called Goddess of Fortune performed by the London Radha-Krishna Temple. Yes, George Harrison arranged and produced it. I believe it is originally a hymn composed by Adi Shankaracharya, but I could be wrong. The album is available from iTunes for download and burning. I did that. It also contains the Maha Mantra, Isopanishad, Govinda Jaya Jaya, and others. It's really nice. :)

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram jai ji :namaste

It's on an album called Goddess of Fortune performed by the London Radha-Krishna Temple. Yes, George Harrison arranged and produced it.

jai jai yamuna devi :namaste... yes it is beautifull , this version is still played every day to greet the deities in Iskcon temples ,(at prabhupada's request as he loved it so much)

I believe it is originally a hymn composed by Adi Shankaracharya, but I could be wrong.
Opps ...sadly yes ... it is from the Sri Brahma Samhita ......prehaps you were thinking of Bhaja Govindam, ..which is Adi Shankaracharya's well known hymn :namaste

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Opps ...sadly yes ... it is from the Sri Brahma Samhita ......prehaps you were thinking of Bhaja Govindam, ..which is Adi Shankaracharya's well known hymn :namaste

Yes, that's it. Thanks. :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
"Om" my goodness ... I actually have sort of a funny story related to this recording.

By the way, at one point in time I could also play this version of this bhajan-mantra on acoustic guitar and knew the first few lines. It became very popular in the SF Bayarea in the 1970s, produced on a Hare Krishna album by Harrison money, and it was sometime in the 70s when this funny story occurred related to this ISKCON recording of these famous verses.

At that time there was a Hare Krishna devotee who was an American at a CA Temple, but also connected somehow to ISKCON in the Philippines, and also was the "sound, recording, stereo, audio" technician doing various music, audio, stereo, sound studio type activities for ISKCON and actually I knew him.

So this "sound and recording guru" got involved in some recordings, sound studio type activities for a GBC type of an ISKCON region and at that time started cutting LPs of an ISKCON theme (not related to this George Harrison UK produced recordings).

Anyway, so one day he has me drive him to Sausalito CA to some guitar studio, store, hang out, he was picking up some recording tapes and some music equipment stuff, and he so happened to have a tape of this song "Govindam, Adi Purusham ...." etc. with him.

I remember the place is packed with, well, some "typical types" of those times, guitar enthusiasts, stereo and sound freaks, customers, all sorts of things going. He knew whoever was "minding the shop", and then to test some equipment or something he was purchasing, he hands this tape over to the guy in charge.

The next thing you know, this song comes blasting over speakers in this shop-studio, "Govindam ... Adi Purusham ...".

Everyone takes notice. In fact the entire place stops and listens in, and then even asks to have it played again. They all loved it! It actually was sort of a "magic moment in time" if you will at the "little world" of that Sausalito shop. The "rock n roll" stopped to listen intentively to that song, nodding approval.

Then of all things, an Indian guy walks in. He must have heard the sounds from the sidewalk as he was passing along. He gives my friend, me and others business cards to his musical instrument store run from his own house (rather expensive house in Marin Co. actually) where he sold sitars and things like that.

I later visited his store with a couple of friends, and it was really amazing actually. There was even a trio of Americanos who played some Indian musical instruments as a group instrumental for those who were visiting. I never bought anything, but one tag along did buy, and there were other customers already there but not related to our bunch and they purchased some expensive instruments. The Indian had a nice little business run from his house. But that place is long gone. He probably retired rich back to India.

Nice song!

Om Namah Sivaya