• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help on Prayer....

CoachRoberts

Evening all,

My friends are pretty staunch Church of England types, and one of their little girls has Downs Syndrome (about 5 months old) and the poor mite has just been taken into hospital with low oxygen levels.... Anyway, of course Mum and her wider church group are popping up on social media saying, asking and offering prayers.

As an agnostic, I just can't get my head around this.... Surely shouldn't we be praying for a kid not to have Downs, and then if that's the case, NOT to get sick, rather than now praying that she'll be ok. Don't they believe God pulled all the strings to make her ill?

I genuinely respect all who find strength in faith, so I'm not trying to put the boot in or prove a point, or score points, but likewise I'd love to know how those of faith square the circle of God giving their child Downs, then making them sick, but then them praying that she'll be ok... surely it's all in God's hands, so pray to him, worship etc but in terms of specifics, what will be, will be?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Evening all,

My friends are pretty staunch Church of England types, and one of their little girls has Downs Syndrome (about 5 months old) and the poor mite has just been taken into hospital with low oxygen levels.... Anyway, of course Mum and her wider church group are popping up on social media saying, asking and offering prayers.

As an agnostic, I just can't get my head around this.... Surely shouldn't we be praying for a kid not to have Downs, and then if that's the case, NOT to get sick, rather than now praying that she'll be ok. Don't they believe God pulled all the strings to make her ill?

I genuinely respect all who find strength in faith, so I'm not trying to put the boot in or prove a point, or score points, but likewise I'd love to know how those of faith square the circle of God giving their child Downs, then making them sick, but then them praying that she'll be ok... surely it's all in God's hands, so pray to him, worship etc but in terms of specifics, what will be, will be?

Hey there. With respect, perhaps you might find a better reception if you have this thread moved to the Prayers section where this sort of thread will be seen more easily by more people?

You can create a thread in Site Feedback and ask a moderator to move it if you feel that would be best. Sending positive thoughts to your friend's family!

Milton Platt

Evening all,

Since they have nothing they can do to actually improve the child's life, this makes them all feel like they contributed. It's a feel good thing.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Man oh man I wish I had an answer. I really, really wish I had something to ease the pain. Not a fan of pain. I'm pretty sure there's an Aristotle/Copernicus type solution, but I haven't found it. My abilities at prayer are somewhat limited do to my confusion about faith, but I send what I can.

whirlingmerc

Evening all,

God uses many sufferings for his own purpose in shaping people's lives to be more Christlike. I see nothing wrong with prayer for the child and his family on many levels. The family and the child and the believers around them are all tied together as community and of course they would support each other.

on a related subject I highly recommend Al Mohler's DVD on 'the Lord's prayer