• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help on My Way

Boethiah

Penguin
I have generally classified myself as a seeker as far as religion goes, but for the past year or so I have been following the Baha'i way. My background religious wise has been simple. I was raised with no real religion (very vague Christianity) until I was a staunch Atheist for a couple of years. I discovered the Baha'i Faith and I have been having trouble reconciling some things.

Enough about that though. I am unsure of some of my beliefs and I am always trying to remain spiritual in what feels right and expanding my horizons.

-I believe in a pantheistic form of God that is manifested in polytheistic-like spirits/Gods/beings. It might be more accurate to say that I believe all aspects of the Universe are represented by spirits/Gods/beings that guide us, but are all interconnected as the Universe as a whole.

-I believe all humans can somehow experience "Revelation" or some sort of deeper understanding of the All being around us.

-I believe all aspects of nature (not just on Earth) are apart of this pantheistic entity, so they should be revered and/or respected.

- I believe that all human beings are equal, and that sexism/racism/homophobia is deplorable.

-I think we can make our own spirituality and that there isn't really a special list of things someone can do that will make them more spiritual.

There are the things I am sure of. Can someone point me in a direction of something I can read up on and consider as a "spiritual path" of sorts?

Why must you seek a religion if you already know what you believe in? (must be weird this coming from a Muslim lol)
But I doubt any religion will fit your criteria exactly as you want it. Just be you and Insha'Allah (God willing) you will be guided to the Truth, whatever it is.

Boethiah

Penguin
I think of religion more as a school of thought more than just a label. Sure, maybe there is a part of me that wants to define what I believe with a word. That is better to grow out of. I think there is much to learn from these other schools of thought, and something that compares to my own beliefs might help me become more confident in my own beliefs or stray me away from them. If that makes any sense. :p

I think of religion more as a school of thought more than just a label. Sure, maybe there is a part of me that wants to define what I believe with a word. That is better to grow out of. I think there is much to learn from these other schools of thought, and something that compares to my own beliefs might help me become more confident in my own beliefs or stray me away from them. If that makes any sense. :p

you must forgive me, it is late (hey 8 is late for me okay? lol) and I am tired. I do not understand :(
Do you mean, you think that having a religion will help you learn?

Boethiah

Penguin
you must forgive me, it is late (hey 8 is late for me okay? lol) and I am tired. I do not understand :(
Do you mean, you think that having a religion will help you learn?

It is also late where I am, so we are in the same boat!

And, yes, pretty much. Or at least investigating one.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Did you do the belief-o-matic test? What did it say? (top 5 or so) The reason I ask is that parts of what you said in your original post could point you in several directions and that maybe the test would be of some help in narrowing the field.

dlherrmann

Do you sincerely believe that Baha'u'llah is the Messenger of God for this time? If so, have you read the Book of Certitude? All of it? All the way through? And have you prayed to understand what you've read?
The third time I read it I understood it much, much more than the first times and I continue to understand more each time since.
If Baha'u'llah had written only one book, that one would be enough to transform the world, but it's only the tip of His vast ocean.
Understanding is not something that happens in a flash. There may be flashes of insight, but it is an evolving process.
dlh.........

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can someone point me in a direction of something I can read up on and consider as a "spiritual path" of sorts?
You may find much to agree with in animism and totemism. I'm sorry, I don't know of any books to recommend.

Boethiah

Penguin
Did you do the belief-o-matic test? What did it say? (top 5 or so) The reason I ask is that parts of what you said in your original post could point you in several directions and that maybe the test would be of some help in narrowing the field.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (90%)
4. New Age (81%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (80%)

What is your opinion on the afterlife and soul?
I think that after we die we enter a sort of spiritual journey of sorts or we continue on with it. I think humans have souls and that maybe after this our soul becomes something else or goes somewhere else. I don't really think about the afterlife much though, but I definitely think of it as some sort of journey.

Do you sincerely believe that Baha'u'llah is the Messenger of God for this time? If so, have you read the Book of Certitude? All of it? All the way through? And have you prayed to understand what you've read?
The third time I read it I understood it much, much more than the first times and I continue to understand more each time since.
If Baha'u'llah had written only one book, that one would be enough to transform the world, but it's only the tip of His vast ocean.
Understanding is not something that happens in a flash. There may be flashes of insight, but it is an evolving process.
dlh.........
I'm not so sure at this moment. I am not making any definite decisions, rather I am expanding my horizons. I've read the Book of Certitude and plan on reading it again.

You may find much to agree with in animism and totemism. I'm sorry, I don't know of any books to recommend.
Thank you, I will look into this. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (90%)
4. New Age (81%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (80%)

I think that after we die we enter a sort of spiritual journey of sorts or we continue on with it. I think humans have souls and that maybe after this our soul becomes something else or goes somewhere else. I don't really think about the afterlife much though, but I definitely think of it as some sort of journey.

I would suggest then you check out Neopagan religions from this, then.

However, this:

-I believe in a pantheistic form of God that is manifested in polytheistic-like spirits/Gods/beings. It might be more accurate to say that I believe all aspects of the Universe are represented by spirits/Gods/beings that guide us, but are all interconnected as the Universe as a whole.

Reminds me a little bit of Hinduism, although Hinduism usually has reincarnation to go with it.

Though, I'd probably say that you should definitely check out some of the Neopagan movements judging from your belief of the afterlife. That and possibly check out Taoism?

Hope this helps. :)

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
With the answers given from the B-O-M I would say look at the Buddhism. My problem with choices 1, 2 & 4 is they can be a little bit "catch all". There is enough variance from group to group in those three that they can cover a wide range of ideas while offering very little in direction until you narrow those in that category considerably further.
Your statement about the afterlife seems more Baha'i than anything, but I bet you already knew that. :)