• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me please

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are off topic and that is OK. The question of the topic is; Does God see good people and what do they look like?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The resurrected Jesus is the living helper. Not flesh and blood. Is there such a thing as wisdom without words?
Jesus is The Word. Do you think that name has anything to do the fact he can communicate? I do.
So you are no longer asking my opinion and don't need any help. What was all that about 'Help me please' ? :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I shall say why I can't understand it. People are what they do, think and say. Anything else?

Just because I know as fact that not everything a person does, thinks and says is good and not everything a person does, thinks and says is bad I need to know!

How does God sort it out? If you do not know that God sorts it out then what does bad associations spoil character good MEAN?

Mountain_Climber

Bad people are bad. It doesn't give them much of a choice. Does it?

God sees us for who we are on the basis of the two great commandments which work together as one.

We were designed to image God. Therefore, he is our standard for good. The more we image his love, justice, and mercy, the more we are of him good.

Unification

It seems to be about choosing to be with bad people. It is about learning to judge who is good for you and who is bad for you.

When I was JW my husband who is a practical atheist and I who was a fundamental JW were BAD associations. The Bible discourages divorce so I suffered it and husband being a practical man suffered it.

Why does God make the rule that bad people are able to make good people bad but another rule which says a person is better off staying in a mismatched marriage?

I chose to stay and I am very glad for that. And my husband learned patience beyond human ability and he is glad for that.

But, honest of God, we were BAD associations. Why did it all work out OK?

Marriage in the bible has nothing to do with literal husband and wife.

"God" doesn't apply rules, regulations, or control. Religion, the world, other minds do. "God" calls us out of rules, regulations, and control. Salvation/freedom from rules, regulations, control, conditioning, etc.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
People say God says "bad associations spoil useful habits". If bad associations are people then God saying it means God sees bad people. What are people who are not bad? I think the opposite of bad is good. Am I right?

I need help believing God sees good people and bad people.

(didn't read the entire thread)

No one is good but the Father. (famous quote)
The Carpenter preceded that one line saying.....Do not call Me good...

This may not help....but it came to mind.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(didn't read the entire thread)

No one is good but the Father. (famous quote)
The Carpenter preceded that one line saying.....Do not call Me good...

This may not help....but it came to mind.
It helps. If no one is good then everyone is his or her own bad association.

Mountain_Climber

So you are no longer asking my opinion and don't need any help. What was all that about 'Help me please' ? :)
You are familiar no doubt with the expression, "mob spirit."

When a person or group of persons we choose to cling closely to gets a spirit in them to do certain things, that spirit is very much able to influence us.

So Paul was telling us how to be kind to ourselves by avoiding those who bear the spirit of resisting God's will, if we would keep it easier for us to stay true to God's will.

It is that simple.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You are familiar no doubt with the expression, "mob spirit."

When a person or group of persons we choose to cling closely to gets a spirit in them to do certain things, that spirit is very much able to influence us.

So Paul was telling us how to be kind to ourselves by avoiding those how bear the spirit of resisting God's will, if we would keep it easier for us to stay true to God's will.

It is that simple.
I am not familiar with that phrase 'Mob spirit', but after looking it up on the internet I think I understand what you are trying to say.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An immature Christian does not know what God's will is and a mature Christian does. So an immature Christian cannot rightly discern between good associations and bad associations and a mature Christian does not need a warning bad association (people) spoil useful habits because he already knows that about the mob spirit and about leaving Jehovah to waste his time with those he is commanded to "shake the dust off of his feet against them".

So why did the writer cause contention for absolutely nothing, in your opinion?

If bad associations mean misunderstanding the correctness of each scripture then EACH DAY we need to remember bad associations spoil a person's character. It has to be something to take to heart not judging at all but hearing what the spirit says to the congregation.

Mountain_Climber

An immature Christian does not know what God's will is and a mature Christian does. So an immature Christian cannot rightly discern between good associations and bad associations and a mature Christian does not need a warning bad association (people) spoil useful habits because he already knows that about the mob spirit and about leaving Jehovah to waste his time with those he is commanded to "shake the dust off of his feet against them".

So why did the writer cause contention for absolutely nothing, in your opinion?

If bad associations mean misunderstanding the correctness of each scripture then EACH DAY we need to remember bad associations spoil a person's character. It has to be something to take to heart not judging at all but hearing what the spirit says to the congregation.
That would tend to be determined by what bad habits they filled into that lack of maturity and how humble they were as to ceasing those bad habits.

2 Corinthians 6:11 Our mouth is open to you, O Corinthians, our heart is wide.
12 It is not our feelings to you which are narrow, but yours to us.
13 Now to give me back payment of the same sort (I am talking as to my children), let your hearts be wide open to me.
14 Do not keep company with those who have not faith: for what is there in common between righteousness and evil, or between light and dark?
15 And what agreement is there between Christ and the Evil One? or what part has one who has faith with one who has not?
16 And what agreement has the house of God with images? for we are a house of the living God; even as God has said, I will be living among them, and walking with them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people.
17 For which cause, Come out from among them, and be separate, says the Lord, and let no unclean thing come near you; and I will take you for myself,
18 And will be a Father to you; and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord, the Ruler of all. (BBE)

Muffled

Jesus in me
OK. Are people trees?

I think his parables are not about people but about conventions.

In other words seeing that you do not know what tomorrow might bring for you, a good person, or for them, bad people, he does not speak of people but speaks in reference to people's alliances.

There are bad alliances and good alliances. Knowing that God will have all saved in the truth proves to me there are no worthless associations.

Please answer the question. Are lies worthless? Are they all worthless or are there any which are not worthless?[/QUOTE]

I believe It is a metaphor for people.

Why do you think so?

I believe if you mean allied with God then that is what makes a good person.

Plesae show your logic on this because for me it does not compute.

I believe there is lieing for good reasons and that God does that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Please correlate for me these two Bible teachings:

Worthless people spoil good character.

and

God's will is that all be saved and to knowledge come.

If someone is actually worthless it means he can't be saved. So the making of it true that some people are worthless is making God's will impossible even for God.

I say that is not a good act.

I believe this statement to be false.

I believe nothing is impossible with God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I shall go with righteous. Or more rightly righteously inclined. Job was righteously inclined. I do not remember if any Bible character is referred to as "good". That is what I need help with, please.

Jesus but that is because He is God and only God is good.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does the Bible say worthless people spoil good character? Please describe for me bad people. Does not bad mean worthless?

Worthless means good for nothing. Doesn't it?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a good for nothing person at some time in their life. But the Bible says there are bad people, or good for nothing, that people seeking righteousness should stay away from.

I say "If someone is actually worthless it means he can't be saved." and you say
I believe this statement to be false.

I believe nothing is impossible with God.
I believe this too. Which means there aren't any good for nothing people from Heaven's perspective.

If there is no one beyond saving then who are the good for nothing people at 1 Cor 15:33?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Does the Bible say worthless people spoil good character? Please describe for me bad people. Does not bad mean worthless?

Worthless means good for nothing. Doesn't it?

I don't believe there is such a thing as a good for nothing person at some time in their life. But the Bible says there are bad people, or good for nothing, that people seeking righteousness should stay away from.

I say "If someone is actually worthless it means he can't be saved." and you say

I believe this too. Which means there aren't any good for nothing people from Heaven's perspective.

If there is no one beyond saving then who are the good for nothing people at 1 Cor 15:33?

I don't believe that is what he is saying. I beleive he is saying that some people are not acting in a manner worthy of God.
For instance a thief is worthless as a bank guard not becasue he has to be a thief but because he chose to be one.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't believe that is what he is saying. I beleive he is saying that some people are not acting in a manner worthy of God.
For instance a thief is worthless as a bank guard not becasue he has to be a thief but because he chose to be one.
Who, in your opinion, is acting "in a manner worthy of God'?