• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help leper Matt the beggar

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Are you displaying these on a sidewalk to pedestrians?
Yes, regularly! Lots of people take pictures of the signs. Some call me but ask me to do something illegal.

So far, they aren't comfortable hiring me, but they don't harrass me anymore now that I'm asking for odd jobs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was hoping you weren't using these on freeway exit ramps or intersections. I bit wordy for that application.

Anyway, I think they are all potentially good. However, I would be hesitant to pay a beggar hourly. There has been no interview process and therefore the potential employer is putting him/herself at risk of hiring someone that is going to milk the clock or not complete the job correctly, if at all.

It would be better to offer to work and be paid by the job. I'd be less reluctant to hire you if I knew I was paying you a flat rate upon completion.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's mostly traffic, but some pedestrians as well.

Sorry, saw this after I posted my last reply. If you are in traffic, you are going to want to make your message substantially more brief unless your intent is to cause an accident. No one has time to read a book as they are driving in traffic.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sorry, saw this after I posted my last reply. If you are in traffic, you are going to want to make your message substantially more brief unless your intent is to cause an accident. No one has time to read a book as they are driving in traffic.
Great advice!

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
See? Get paid by the job. That would have paid substantially more than $8/hr. :D (although it likely would have landed you in jail)

Three meals daily, smuggled in disposable cell phones, and a nightly cot; unfortunately, jail might not necessarily be a deterrent for some people to commit crimes.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I've seen many beggar signs displayed near street corners; a $1,000/monthly universal basic income benefit system funded by a 10 percent VAT system as proposed by 2020 Democratic Presidential hopeful Andrew Yang would likely get rid of the need for these beggar signs.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Which of these signs is best in your opinion?

Any suggestions?
Most people are too scared to let a stranger know where their house is and what is in it. Outdoor work frightens them less, so concentrate on that.

I also brainstorm at you some beautiful poems from famous authors that people will recognize. People might stop just to read them or ask you who wrote them.

How about this one?

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

That's the first part of a short poem by Robert Frost called Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. Notice how it indirectly talks about you and creates a feeling that might help but doesn't overtly charge anyone of being evil or selfish.