• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I'm burning up...

Hope

Princesinha
I need some advice. I have been living with my oldest brother for the last few years, in a nice big house w/ cheap rent, and I haven't had any major complaints.....until recently. Because recently he got married, and I now have a new sister-in-law living in the house as well. Don't get me wrong---I like her just fine, we get along, etc.....however, she is Nicaraguan, and being from a tropical country, she is extremely cold-blooded.

Sooo, in order to please his new bride, my brother now rarely turns the AC on in the house, even when it is over 90 degrees outside. So basically I enter a sauna every day when I get home from work. It's usually around 85 degrees, or more, in the house. I've tried not to complain, I keep my ceiling fan in my room running constantly, I throw open windows and doors at night when it cools off a tad....but, still, I am usually sweating up a storm, and it's driving me crazy!

Is there a solution to this, other than my moving out? I'm trying to be understanding, and I don't want my sister-in-law to freeze on my account, but the heat is beginning to really get to me.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I would purchase one of those portable floor air conditioners and keep it on when confined in your room. For the times when your sister-in-law is not home, ask your brother if you can turn the main air conditioner on and turn it off 20 minutes before she comes home.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Have you sat down with them and discussed your concerns? They might be understanding and willing to makes some compromises everyone will be satisfied with.

tell them that this in not nigeragua and ask them to turn up the airco, its great that she likes it warm, but dislike takes priority aboth like, and you dislike the heat

+Xausted

Can you not just talk to them both?
I am sure that you can come up with a temperature that will be a compromise for both of you.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Tell your brother's wife to put on a damn sweater...

That's what I tell cardero!

I came from a country where it was 140 degrees in the shade.
I come to this country, I am cranking that AC baby! When it
gets hot, I get cranky so I need to be cool. Our temp in the
house pretty much stays the same all year round. 69-72 degrees.

cardero pretty much works with me. If he is cold, he'll just put
on a shirt. If I feel bad for him, I will tell him to turn the
heat up. :D

cardero said:
I would purchase one of those portable floor air conditioners and keep it on when confined in your room. For the times when your sister-in-law is not home, ask your brother if you can turn the main air conditioner on and turn it off 20 minutes before she comes home.

Now I know what you do. But you sometimes forget to
turn it back to the original temp mister :slap:.

Father Heathen said:
Have you sat down with them and discussed your concerns? They might be understanding and willing to makes some compromises everyone will be satisfied with.

Agreed. Discussing is a good idea. Compromise. Work something out.
Maybe your brother will get tired of the heat himself.

tomspug

Absorbant
Well, you are technically the guest, so it would be very rude to imply that they are obligated to do anything. However, if they don't know how miserable you are, nothing will ever be accomplished. Although, it seems like, with your opening the windows and ceiling fans, that it's probably obvious.

Do you drink lots of iced liquids? Bringing down your body temperature internally can make a big difference, at least for me. Since it's probably air-conditioned everywhere else, you might get into the habit of changing clothes whenever you get home for the warmer weather. Ooh! A spray bottle might be nice, the one with the fan! (maybe I'm taking the sauna description too far), but you might as well make light of it if it's not going to change.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Like mrscardero, my wife is from the Philippines and she grew up without AC. Now that she's living here she keeps it cranked up to the point where I have been catching colds in the summertime because it's freezing in here. I don't understand why your sister in law would enjoy the heat so much.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
The best thing to do would talk to your brother......You were living with him before he got married right? Do you help pay part of the utility bills? There must be some way to reach a compromise that will be good for everyone. I can't imagine anyone no matter where they were born wanting to be miserable with out ac. Just having air in your room still is not fair to you, are you suppose to be confned to your room and not have access to the rest of the house? Really I think I would sit down for a good old fashioned family conference and present my need.......

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The best thing to do would talk to your brother......You were living with him before he got married right? Do you help pay part of the utility bills? There must be some way to reach a compromise that will be good for everyone. I can't imagine anyone no matter where they were born wanting to be miserable with out ac. Just having air in your room still is not fair to you, are you suppose to be confned to your room and not have access to the rest of the house? Really I think I would sit down for a good old fashioned family conference and present my need.......

I agree; bring this up before you get too wound up about it......it sounds as if you might be on the way to being so.......

Hope

Princesinha

Can you not just talk to them both?
I am sure that you can come up with a temperature that will be a compromise for both of you.

Yeah, I've talked to my brother. Both he and my sister-in-law know I'm not too happy about the situation. For a few days they turned on the AC, but have since reverted to no AC.

Hope

Princesinha

How much do those portable AC units cost? Maybe I could suggest my brother buy one for me, since I pay him rent, and I'm the one suffering. ;)

I definitely turn on the AC when the sister-in-law isn't home---problem is, she's almost always home. She doesn't work, and my brother works from home. :(

Hope

Princesinha
Ok. The time for action has come. It was close to 100 degrees today in central Virginia, and I came home to a house that was 89 degrees inside. By the time I arrived home, it was actually a little cooler outside, and I sat outside on the deck to eat my dinner, so as not to sweat quite as profusely.

I found an old fan that I have installed in my room, to at least keep the temperature down in there, but every time I exit my room, I break into a sweat. I'm having a serious discussion with my brother and sister-in-law as soon as I can. I ain't a happy camper at the moment. :mad:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Has no-one noticed Phasmid's suggestion?

It's a lot easier to keep warm than keep cool.