• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kilk1

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so first of all I would just like to say I look forward to interacting with you all.

So a quick history. I was a firm atheist till I was 27. Then at the birth of my daughter I softened toward religion and start researching.

I have since researched Christianity and believe it is very well supported in its claims. I would call myself a Christian but it is more of an intellectual belief than a heartfelt belief. I can't seem to 'connect' with God through Christian practices (prayer, music etc) but I absolutely love Christian buildings and art.

I have always loved the Norse myths and I continually feel drawn more to the gods of the myths rather than the God of the Bible. But adversely this is a heartfelt belief rather than an intellectual one!! For example listening to Norse music spiritually effects me in a way Christian music doesn't.

Sorry for the rambling, but basically I am extremely confused on where to go from here. I feel spiritually undeveloped and have no idea what to do about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Since the intellect is (at least comparatively) objective while emotions are subjective, I would say the intellect is more important. Perhaps knowing that you're walking in the truth can lead to an emotional reaction. We see this in the Bible. For example, an Ethiopian eunuch was confused over a passage from Isaiah (Acts 8:30-34). It wasn't until the truth was explained to him and he obeyed that "he went on his way rejoicing" (Acts 8:35-39). What do you think?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so first of all I would just like to say I look forward to interacting with you all.

So a quick history. I was a firm atheist till I was 27. Then at the birth of my daughter I softened toward religion and start researching.

I have since researched Christianity and believe it is very well supported in its claims. I would call myself a Christian but it is more of an intellectual belief than a heartfelt belief. I can't seem to 'connect' with God through Christian practices (prayer, music etc) but I absolutely love Christian buildings and art.

I have always loved the Norse myths and I continually feel drawn more to the gods of the myths rather than the God of the Bible. But adversely this is a heartfelt belief rather than an intellectual one!! For example listening to Norse music spiritually effects me in a way Christian music doesn't.

Sorry for the rambling, but basically I am extremely confused on where to go from here. I feel spiritually undeveloped and have no idea what to do about it.

Rob
I guess my first question is did you ever invite Jesus Christ to have a personal relationship with you where you trust him with your future? A spiritual marriage of sorts.

Rational Agnostic

Hello everyone,

Rob

I will not tell you what to believe. I will simply provide a quote from Bertrand Russell that I think is very simple and helpful for anyone in this situation, regardless of whether you agree with any of his particular views:

"When you are studying any matter or considering any philosophy: ask yourself only: what are the facts, and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts."

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob

As a father of two daughters, I understand the sentiment, although I guess I process things differently.

My main advice would be to work on being the sort of father they deserve every day.
Whatever the truth of God, any one worth worshipping would see the value in that.

Jsquared

Thank you all for your replies!!

I think my main hurdle and question is how do I develop spiritually. I should of made it clearer in the original post.

Like I said I am intellectually a Christian, but struggle with becoming a spiritual Christian. I only mention the Norse myths as a counter example as I don't believe in the literal existence or truth of them, but they draw me to them.
Hi, I you are at a very good point in your journey right now and it is really encouraging to me personally to see your passion. I think the best thing I could suggest is to read the gospels, especially the Gospel of John. This is a great way to get to know the mind of Christ and therefore be able to draw closer to Him. Praying for you!

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob
I just thought of something cool today that might help. When you pray you talk to God. When you read scripture, it's like you're giving a chance for God to pray to you through those words. And as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I would recommend the Bible and the Book of Mormon. So if you read, God is praying to you.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob

Great to meet you, sometimes help comes in ways we least expect.

I wish you always well and happy on your journey.

As a Baha'i I would ask that if In your search to date, have you come across the Message of Baha'u'llah? From what I have found, It could possibly help.

All the best, regards Tony

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Rob_333 I’m only halfway through the thread, but I want to post some thoughts while they’re fresh in my mind. One idea that came to me is to read one of the gospel stories all the way through, picturing yourself as one of the people following Him along wherever He goes, trying to understand what it’s all about. Then picture yourself talking to Him, pouring your heart about your confusion, asking Him what to do, and see what He says to you.

Another idea is to go to a Christian bookstore, explain your problem, and wanting to progress spiritually, and ask for recommendations of books to read. Also there might be people here who could recommend Christian books to read to help with spiritual growth.

I like the idea someone posted that you can be a Christian who likes Norse music and Norse mythology. Maybe you can find someone to recommend some good books to read, with stories with Norse gods in them.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Rob_333 I want to add that your attraction to Norse music and myths could be something that God can use to help you with your spiritual growth. When you talk to Jesus after reading one of the gospel stories, you can ask Him about that.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Rob_333 I’ve finished reading the thread now, and another thought that came to me is to immerse yourself in the stories of Christianity and in some community life inspired by those stories. Read the gospels and the Acts of the Apostles; stories of the saints; histories of the denominations written by people in those denominations. Maybe some other people can think of other examples of the stories of Christianity.

Also, find some kind of community service that you can be involved in with other Christians; some other kind of service besides spreading the message, that benefits other people besides members of the same denomination.

David T

Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob
Nature Nature, nature You need to escape from both the inculturated muddled narratives we tend to create religiously and scientifically about nature. The topic God? It has zero to do with our narartives and is more deeply rooted in what we call the unconscious today. It's experience and that's what you seek. You can't think your way to that, and sometimes it completely arrives in the most unexpected way.ls when you stop thinking your way to it. Trust your instincts not out inculturated ideas.

As an atheist you at least had some awareness about nature. And most atheists "believe like southern Baptists without Jesus" God does not exist based on science. Science doesn't have the neccesity to have a god as term.is understood religiously in science , to do science. Many people get extremely confused right there with religiously and scientifically.

I am going to throw at you a saying I have which is good science and good Religion.

" to understand god, you must understand nature. to understand nature, you must understand god. To split that is to negate that and to negate that is to neither understand god, nature, or yourself who is doing the splitting"

Ha that keeps growing as a quote .Soon enough it may be completely invisible!!! As an atheist you incorrectly understood nature, now as someone realizing that maybe there is a something more to existence you are listening to people whom are not understanding, god, nature, or themselves but simply are parroting a narrative created over many generations. They are normal. Wierd but that's normal! What is for? What is nature? It's for you to discover not for other's to explain that to you. I might say that's not how evolution actually works, we actually have to work , not just mindlessly recieve whatever is being passed around at the moment as truth. .

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob

Welcome Rob. As far as connection with God. I think we all connect in different ways and being attracted to God and the claims of Christianity which you believe is well supported is a connection you already have with God, Jesus and Christianity.

You don’t have to be a stereotype Christian as we are all different like the different coloured flowers of a garden so accept your diversity as unique and don’t try to force yourself to be the same as everyone else.

I love reading and researching Holy Scriptures and serving the community. That is equivalent to prayer I believe. A prayer need not necessarily be verbal but expressed through our actions and deeds.

I think being truly religious is to lead a normal, well balanced life, walking the spiritual path with practical feet. So enjoy life, be happy and accept your diversity and uniqueness.

Moderation in life and religion I believe is very important to mental, physical and spiritual health no matter which religion one follows.

Reactions: Jim

sealchan

Hello everyone,

Rob

First and foremost...follow your bliss. Cultivate what inspires you, refreshes you, nourishes you until it doesnt. Feed your heart with whatever music pleases you.

Have you read Tolkien or watched the opera of Wagner? Both artists were inspired by Christian and Norse myth.

sealchan

Thank you all for your replies!!

I think my main hurdle and question is how do I develop spiritually. I should of made it clearer in the original post.

Like I said I am intellectually a Christian, but struggle with becoming a spiritual Christian. I only mention the Norse myths as a counter example as I don't believe in the literal existence or truth of them, but they draw me to them.

For me spiritual development means finding those personal images or symbols or music or stories that give you that deep sense of meaning, awe and wonder about life and your place in it. Without that a relgion is an empty shell to hide away in.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Rob_333 I've reviewed again what you've said about what you're looking for, something about spiritual development. That means such widely different things to different people that it doesn't actually communicate anything to me about what you're looking for. I'll just say what I think might help with what I see as the best kind of spiritual development. I'm thinking of it now as being immersed in the story of any religion, and practicing community service inspired by that story, side by side with other people. That religions can be Christianity, but along with that, as I said, God could also be using your attraction to Norse music and mythology to help lift you up and keep you going in the meantime. If you have doubts about that, it might help to read one ro more of the gospel stories and picture what might happen if you could talk to Jesus about it.

Last edited:

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Hello everyone,

Rob

Welcome to RF, there is always growth to be found. You sound like you're trying, you'll find your way. Peace and blessings bro :)