• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob_333

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so first of all I would just like to say I look forward to interacting with you all.

So a quick history. I was a firm atheist till I was 27. Then at the birth of my daughter I softened toward religion and start researching.

I have since researched Christianity and believe it is very well supported in its claims. I would call myself a Christian but it is more of an intellectual belief than a heartfelt belief. I can't seem to 'connect' with God through Christian practices (prayer, music etc) but I absolutely love Christian buildings and art.

I have always loved the Norse myths and I continually feel drawn more to the gods of the myths rather than the God of the Bible. But adversely this is a heartfelt belief rather than an intellectual one!! For example listening to Norse music spiritually effects me in a way Christian music doesn't.

Sorry for the rambling, but basically I am extremely confused on where to go from here. I feel spiritually undeveloped and have no idea what to do about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Please keep in mind this is in the interests of the views of the OP, and not with breaking rule 8 in mind. Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with having an intellectual belief. If one has nothing to support one's beliefs, they are dead in the water. You mustn't feel as though there is something wrong with this or you are somehow inferior to those others who are perhaps less intellectually inclined. We are all different, especially in how we approach the Creator. From my point of view, you should stop listening to the Norse music and such, as of course this will hinder your connexion with your Maker, as it puts smoke and mist in the way of finding a true connexion with Him. Also, it will not happen overnight, of course. One spends one's whole life learning to draw near to G-d, as this is part of the purpose, imo. It cannot be something easily achieved or else it would be meaningless.

I know you are a Christian and not Jewish or Noahide, but I find a lot of worth in the little ritual things. Within certain traditions there is a correct way to put on one's shoes, take a shower and so on - I love doing these little rituals because they keep me in mind of HaShem all the time, without feeling the need to burden myself too much. Little things can go a long way.

There is a passage in Isaiah that comes to mind,

'Seek the L-rd while you can find Him, call on Him while He is near.'

I would advise you, within both of our faith traditions, to stop running after idols and seek only G-d.

I wish you well.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There's no reason why you cannot pursue an interest in two different traditions

I think it's possible for you to be a Christian who just happens to enjoy norse mythology

Skwim

Veteran Member
Welcome aboard.

As for helping you out, as an agnostic I'm in no position to advise you how to give up or supplant your rationality in favor of "connecting" with the god of Christians. I can only recommend that you carefully consider whether your motivation is what should really be driving your quest for a religion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am extremely confused on where to go from here. I feel spiritually undeveloped and have no idea what to do about it.

Confusion is uncomfortable; but, it's a good start, I think. Confusion is a sign of humility.

Where should you go from here? What should you do to develop spiritually?

Then at the birth of my daughter I softened toward religion and start researching.

Spend time with your daughter, and learn from her. Don't forget to have fun.

joe1776

Welcome!

I suggest you create a document on your word processor entitled Belief (or whatever suits you). Organize thoughts like those you offered in the OP so that you can, from time to time, go back to clarify and analyze them.

For example, you might question whether your love for Christian buildings and art should be of any influence in your search for Truth since this is a subjective judgment. Others, like me, are turned off by the ornate in Christian buildings and art. Should our different preferences in art and architecture, yours and mine, lead us to different answers in the search for truth?

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Confusion is the first stage of gaining wisdom.

Or so I've heard. :)

Welcome to the forum!

PureX

Veteran Member
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so first of all I would just like to say I look forward to interacting with you all.

So a quick history. I was a firm atheist till I was 27. Then at the birth of my daughter I softened toward religion and start researching.

I have since researched Christianity and believe it is very well supported in its claims. I would call myself a Christian but it is more of an intellectual belief than a heartfelt belief. I can't seem to 'connect' with God through Christian practices (prayer, music etc) but I absolutely love Christian buildings and art.

I have always loved the Norse myths and I continually feel drawn more to the gods of the myths rather than the God of the Bible. But adversely this is a heartfelt belief rather than an intellectual one!! For example listening to Norse music spiritually effects me in a way Christian music doesn't.

Sorry for the rambling, but basically I am extremely confused on where to go from here. I feel spiritually undeveloped and have no idea what to do about it.

Rob
Sounds to me that what you're interested in is the human artifice inspired by God (architecture and mythic literature), not necessarily 'God', itself.

The whole point of the story of the Christ was to introduce humanity to the revelation that God's divine spirit exists within all of us, and that if we will allow that spirit to govern and guide us, we will be healed and saved from ourselves, and we will help others to be healed and saved, as well. It's about placing our faith in that divine spirit that exists within us all, and living out that faith in our lives. I agree that some of the artifice we humans have applied to that ideal to help us recognize and understand it better is beautiful, but ultimately it's not about the beauty of the artifice. It's about the salvation of the soul of humanity.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

At one stage of my journey I spent a lot of time learning about world religions and spiritual practices. Having a well-rounded view of this area is something that I personally found valuable.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob

welcome to RF

Rob_333

Thank you all for your replies!!

I think my main hurdle and question is how do I develop spiritually. I should of made it clearer in the original post.

Like I said I am intellectually a Christian, but struggle with becoming a spiritual Christian. I only mention the Norse myths as a counter example as I don't believe in the literal existence or truth of them, but they draw me to them.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I can relate to how it can be confusing sorting out what one believes and feels when they run into categories and labels. As an atheist, it created a conflict in my mind with the label atheist and my having spiritual connection to what in a previous time of my life I called God. It made me feel like a bit of a hypocrite, embracing rationality and science as the truth tellers, and these deeply religious yearnings at the same time.

Now things have grown beyond that for me to where I am today with that balance of the rational and the spiritual beyond atheism and theism. While I am able to understand the brilliance and contributions of religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism, I find myself when pressed to talk about these things I lean on the Christian language I learned as part of that in my younger days as I was heading in a potential ministerial role.

All that to say, there comes a point where someone on their path moves into a place where they need span out further than simple and clearly defined lines of traditionalist approaches to faith. This is a true for the theist who becomes an atheist and wears that hat for awhile as it suits their needs of the time, as it is for the atheist who does the same beyond even that view of the world. I consider all of it as part of a spiritual path, regardless of what we try to label it or name it.

It's a complex world with a lot of information hitting us like never before in history. Such exposures to information like this, I feel and believe, accelerates the natural processes of spiritual development for many. It becomes challenging for those who can't really find a "home" religiously, because it is too traditionalist for where they are at.

It becomes very confusing as one tries to figure out where they are supposed to fit into. But I've found, you're exactly where you need to be. Not trying to be something, is where you find the truth of your own path.

Rob
If any of what I said above made any sense, then I'd recommend considering this information about stages of faith, which is what I was pointing at above. James Fowler's work has helped me enormously understanding this very question of "fitting into" some religious, or non-religious label. Most of that is happen at Stage 4:

This is the tough stage, often begun in young adulthood, when people start seeing outside the box and realizing that there are other "boxes". They begin to critically examine their beliefs on their own and often become disillusioned with their former faith. Ironically, the Stage 3 people usually think that Stage 4 people have become "backsliders" when in reality they have actually moved forward.​

Chart of James Fowler's Stages of Faith | psychologycharts.com

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
Welcome to RF,

Being confused will motivate you to ask questions, and that's a good thing.
When you study religions, make sure to look at their past, their present and what they say about the future. That will tell you a lot.
Look at how their leaders and members behave and how they treat others. Look at what impact their actions have on society. Are they leaving a positive trail or not?
Don't believe others just because they say so. Do you own research, draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Vee

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Rob
Well Rob, I'll spend my two cents. I think the breakthrough for many people nowadays is seeing God as coming through them (non-dualism=God and Creation are not two) as opposed to a God separate from us (dualism) as in perhaps Norse gods.

There are various traditionally eastern and new age paths that stress this perspective change. You might want to see if those things interest you.

pearl

For example listening to Norse music spiritually effects me in a way Christian music doesn't.

There are many paths to the one God. And many forms of spirituality, especially silence. If its Norse music that elevates your heart and mind to the Mystery we call God, why not. As a Christian we are connected with God through Jesus.

Nimos

Hello everyone,

Rob
It sounds like you need a reason to enjoy the various music myths etc. Why not simply enjoy them for what they are, not really sure why you see a need to involve spirituality and God into it. It seems to just cause confusion, why not just use it as a mind relaxing thing, to help clear your thoughts. Since you used to be an atheist, you should also know that you can enjoy it without any beliefs. Which seems strange to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob
I'm a follower of Germanic religion and don't like Christianity, so obviously I'm going to tell you to stick with Asatru. But it's not only because of that, but because it seems obvious from what you say that it speaks to you on a spiritual level much more than Christianity. I enjoy Christian art to an extent and you can still enjoy those being while being a Heathen. I suggest that you try to find an Asatru group in your area and see if you can meet with them. But you can just start by spending time in nature, talking to the gods and spirits, reading the Eddas and pondering them, perhaps start leaving little offerings. The heart wants what it wants.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello everyone,

Rob

Im atheist so cannot really offer advice on religious faith other than do what you feel is right.

And welcomento RF

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Like I said I am intellectually a Christian, but struggle with becoming a spiritual Christian. I only mention the Norse myths as a counter example as I don't believe in the literal existence or truth of them, but they draw me to them.
So you're just a Christian. You should have mentioned that in your first post. However, you should ask yourself why Norse spirituality affects you so much when you think it's not real, apparently. I don't think any Heathen takes the myths as literal and myth shouldn't be read literally, anyway. I do think you should think about this more. Especially since Abrahamic cultures program us to view the older indigenous religions as make believe, primitive and dumb. A lot of times you have to work to overcome that bigoted programming that was forced on us. I don't think an intellectual connection alone is enough for a spiritual path, which ideally should be holistic.