• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helm of Awe (Ægishjálmur) correct inscription

Marco Bancroft

Hello,

Are there any rules of correct inscription of runic symbols? In particular interested in the correct inscription of Ægishjálmur symbol.

I've got few patches with Helm of Awe (add a picture in the attachment bellow) intended to be placed on body armor and helmet, due to the technology of their manufacturing, the laser-cut, the inscription of Ægishjálmur symbol is a bit altered - central circle and some beams have gaps. Also, beams are not crossing in the center of the circle.
As I know, the center of the circle represents the owner of the symbol, who is protected by its power, beams representing mirrors reflecting harmful effects from outside. I also heard that it's essential to comply with the correct order using runes.

So could those alterations lead to the change of the symbol that changes or mitigate its effect?

Thanks

Helm of Awe.jpg Helm of Awe 2.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello,

Are there any rules of correct inscription of runic symbols? In particular interested in the correct inscription of Ægishjálmur symbol.

I've got few patches with Helm of Awe (add a picture in the attachment bellow) intended to be placed on body armor and helmet, due to the technology of their manufacturing, the laser-cut, the inscription of Ægishjálmur symbol is a bit altered - central circle and some beams have gaps. Also, beams are not crossing in the center of the circle.
As I know, the center of the circle represents the owner of the symbol, who is protected by its power, beams representing mirrors reflecting harmful effects from outside. I also heard that it's essential to comply with the correct order using runes.

So could those alterations lead to the change of the symbol that changes or mitigate its effect?

Thanks

View attachment 56287 View attachment 56288

Hi, welcome to RF. Sit back, relax and enjoy the cake

3291372281_d72ef5e24f_b.jpg

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Hello,

Thanks

View attachment 56287 View attachment 56288

The only rules I know for "correct inscription" is the runes are to be carved, or otherwise written in bodily fluids (sweat, blood).

I would caution against wearing or using an Ægishjalmur without that central circle. As that circle represents you, with the arms radiating outward being the protection of you. Those arms are directing energy away from the wearer and back into the web of Wyrd. But without a central point that they are radiating from and connected to, it seems to me that is isn't reflecting a specific person. So I'd be hesitant to use it myself for protection.

Welcome to the forum.

Marco Bancroft

On the web, there are variations of Ægishjalmur with 3 perpendicular lines, on the arms radiating outward, which have the same length and in some instances, where those lines got different lengths - lesser close to the circle, mid-length in between, and longer to the outer side (like on the picture in the first post).

Is there any Idea, what the difference in the meaning of those variations, are both of them historically accurate if it's possible to say so in that context?