• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello

Anon

Hi, alias name is Anon. I am an Atheist living in Massachusetts. I find religion very interesting, and I have been reading the posts here for awhile.

I think religion can be a very dangerous thing. It leads people away from rational thinking. I am particularly alarmed by the bible, which advocates torture, rape, slavery, sex-slaves, mistreatment of women, etc, having so much prominence in our society and many others, especially when parts of the bible have already been proven scientifically false.

In my opinion, the Judeo-Christian God is a monster. He offers no proof of his existence, and then, if you do not accept him, he will subject you to the ultimate torture for eternity - talk about holding a grudge. Compared to this, Saddam Hussein is a humanitarian. He would only torture you if he had reason to believe you were plotting against him, and even then, it would probably not last more than a couple of days.

I have no desire to believe in a God like this.

Why is it so hard for some people to just say, "I don't know where we come from"? Science is working on it, but until then, there is no other answer.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Anon;

Welcome to the forum; I shan't comment on your beliefs here, because they are more suited to a debate thread than on the introductory forum.

I hope you like it here, and I look forward to seeing your posts.:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Welcome Anon

If I had a god as you describe I would not like it either
Fortunately Jesus showed us a Loving and Forgiving God.

Try looking at the liberal thread.

Terry

Anon

Aren't we talking about the same god? The one described in the bible?

Do these sound loving and forgiving:

"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire" (Leviticus 21:9)

"When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife." (Deuteronomy 21:10-14)

The bible's depiction of God, overall, is anything by loving and forgiving. And was it not Jesus who said, "Think not that I am come to send peace: I came not to send peace but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

How can you defend this?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome, Anon! Just to let you know, if you'd like to debate, we try to keep that more in the "debates" section. This is more for greeting people and letting them get to know you. :)

Love your avatar! (How scary is it that I've been listening to a song about chimpanzees all day?)

If you'd like, we've got an article for our newer members. Please let me know if you think anything should be added to it! (I try to keep it updated, hehee!)

Namaste, if it pleases you!

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to the forums, and hopefully we can clear up the many misconceptions you have about (at least) my faith...

QTpi

Mischevious One
Hi, Anon. Welcome to Religious Forums. We're glad to have you with us and hope you enjoy your stay! :jiggy:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Okay, I may start needing to be watched closely, now. I was wondering "what is a mass atheist? Does that mean they don't believe in going to mass? Or that they're larger than other atheists?"

So please start watching me closely.

M

Majikthise

We're both from Massachuesetts, silly rabbit. :D Though I must admit I could stand to loose a little weight(ok, so a lot of weight!).