• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello I'm Libby.

Libby

Hello. I've been looking for a religion that suits me, but as a recluse in therapy for being barely able to leave my house, with no close places of worship I'm a little stuck. I have seen people saying you cannot be religious by just being online, but that's how it would have to be for me for a long while. Reform Judaism looked pretty good for me for values but then the whole multiple times a week to a synagogue an hour away that I couldn't get to even if I was able mentally to attend, stopped it being an option. Is there any hope for me as a pure internet presence. I'm in therapy working towards getting back in the world of psychology and helping others. But it's going to take me a while to face outside my home. But I want to be involved somehow. The modern world allows for a lot on the internet. I want somewhere to put my energy and faith and help others. But I feel no religion wants to accept an internet presence into their community. Is there any hope for me?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Welcome, there is always hope but patience is a still a virtue. I know of several churches that if you call them the minister, priest or Rabi will come to your home. Once your established with the church some have home pray gatherings. I'm sure the religious leader will work with you and have as small a gathering you can handle. Other than that there are various forums such as the RF and the ones specific to one religion usually do prayer online. The RF being open to all religions is a little stricter on promoting your specific religion.

My thoughts although you are looking at it being all on-line, you are in therapy for help. Ministers, Priests and Rabi's all want to help allowing them into your home would be a step towards fixing your issue.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello. I've been looking for a religion that suits me, but as a recluse in therapy for being barely able to leave my house, with no close places of worship I'm a little stuck. I have seen people saying you cannot be religious by just being online, but that's how it would have to be for me for a long while. Reform Judaism looked pretty good for me for values but then the whole multiple times a week to a synagogue an hour away that I couldn't get to even if I was able mentally to attend, stopped it being an option. Is there any hope for me as a pure internet presence. I'm in therapy working towards getting back in the world of psychology and helping others. But it's going to take me a while to face outside my home. But I want to be involved somehow. The modern world allows for a lot on the internet. I want somewhere to put my energy and faith and help others. But I feel no religion wants to accept an internet presence into their community. Is there any hope for me?
I've never personally tried this but there is an online Quaker meeting. There is no conversion process, so theoretically you will log in and just be as welcome as any dedicated Quaker. Just say you are visiting. I hope you find an online group that works for you, Quaker or otherwise. The second link explains there are different varieties of Quaker meetings and has some general info about what to expect. Don't 'Dive in' or commit or give away your charge card numbers. I do not know these people. I suspect they are more conservative than me, meaning they might wear grey and do the hats on/hats off thing. They might be more liberal and slouch on couches while sipping martinis.
Chatzy - Quaker Center Online Meeting for Worship
Spiritual Practices for Isolated Friends (Quakers).

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Practice whatever faith makes you feel comfortable from your own home. In Islam new reverts often have many many questions they want answered and the process can take months, if not years. Obviously the Million Dollar question is, just how much time does an individual have on Earth? For this reason, people are encouraged to ask the basic questions, accept the faith and then grow in their own time.

religious journey

Good luck in your search.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Is it "religious" that you want to be? Perhaps you want to feel connected to a faith that will accept your present limitations?
Try JW.ORG. There is a lot of online opportunities for Bible study. They will come to you.
4xvim2p.gif

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

meditation by itself is not exclusive to any one religion.

it has been shown to have many healthy and well being benefits.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/meditation/overview.htm

best wishes on your life's eternal journey and welcome to RF

omega2xx

I don't know about other religions but God will gladly accept anyone who is seeking Him sincerely with all their heart and Soul--2 Chronicles 15:12-15.

If you don't have a good study Bible, I will be glad to send you a free one.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Welcome Libby, I'd say you can be just as religious as the next man or woman staying at home, there are plenty of nerdy religious internet types here! Getting out is a good thing, a healthy thing as far as I'm concerned. You are in therapy, so working towards getting out a little yes? Best of luck with that, personally I'd say that is your priority over any religion, but there again I'm a nerdy atheist! Have fun at RF! :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Shalom aleichem and welcome.

Could you maybe look at Noahidism?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never had Bacon. People always tell me I would love it but I doubt I would.
Looks very gross.
Many things look gross to the uninitiated.
Sex prolly exemplifies this best.
"You want me to let you put what where? Ew!"

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

Hi libby. I too suffered with agoraphobia. Most people look at me like you were homebound? That's because I am a male and an now ex 'biker', and very much look the part. Personally I can find nothing in the bible that says you must go to an established church to be a christian. Jesus said when you call on me I am there. Some or most traditional pastors will say how can you profess to be a Christian but not gathering with His body (the church according to modern doctrine) each week? That is easy you worship and gain fellowship through the internet. You could even began your own ministry through a web interface! I am afraid too many pastors have a vested interest in maintaining a congregation. Anyway go for it Libby. I finally overcome my agoraphobia, and I will tell you it took going out in small increments. But you don't have to miss being part of an spiritual journey because of an illness.

; {>