• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello, from Boise, ID!

Jonathan Bailey

I was baptized a Christian (Methodist) in my boyhood but at age 55 I have doubts about the Christian belief. I feel some Americans claim to be Christians and go to church to make themselves look good or like they are doing the right thing in the presence of other people but may or may not strongly believe in the faith. I have also witnessed much hypocrisy in so-called Christian organizations.

I still subscribe to the possibility there is a single God or multiple gods or goddesses. I don't know the alleged trueness of any of the religious doctrines or the existence of any supreme being for a fact but I am only open to the mere possibility. The existence of Bigfoot is still a remote possibility for me as well as that of a supreme being as I have seen no scientific evidence ruling out the existence of either as absolute proof. Christianity could be possibly true but so could Judaism or Hinduism. I don't know the existence of the alleged immortal human soul for a fact but still accept its possibility.

The biggest mystery to me in all of world religious history is how Christianity became so big and powerful? For thousands of years in Europe, paganism/polytheism was a long-standing tradition among the Greeks, Romans, Gemanics, Celtics, Slavs and other tribes and peoples of Europe and the Western Civilization. Judaism was the first monotheistic faith I know of and has pre-dated Christianity for a long spell. How did this lowly burro-borne, sandal-clad, white-dress-attired, long-haired bearded man, Jesus Christ, with his few disciples turn the long-standing religious traditions in the western ancient Old World on its ear? Why did that world give up paganism (to the point it's almost extinct) and Judaism (considerably) to come to Jesus? What was the driving force, the motivation, to make this crucified humble man to be King of the religious western world following the demise of the Roman Empire and the go on through the course of history to dominate the entire world today?

The thing I hate most about monotheistic religions is the homophobia. Same-sex romance and love was well-accepted widely in the ancient pagan world. It was because of the rise of the church that we have had homosexuals in the closet for centuries and such hate words as ******, fairy, queer and bull-dyke. It seems the three main monotheistic faiths, Judaism, Christianity and the newest kid on the block, Islam, have condemned same-sex attraction to some extent and have gone so far as putting homsexuals to death for that reason. The Jews seem to be the least outspoken against homosexuality these days, however, the Catholics, not so much, but the biggest hate-purveyors are so-called Christian Right groups in America. Many Islamic nations still make sodomy a capital crime.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

316080,xcitefun-celebrate-birthday-with-chocolate-cake-1.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was baptized a Christian (Methodist) in my boyhood but at age 55 I have doubts about the Christian belief. I feel some Americans claim to be Christians and go to church to make them look good or like they are doing the right thing in the presence of other people but may or may not strongly believe in the faith. I have also witnessed much hypocrisy in so-called Christian organizations.

I still subscribe to the possibility there is a single God or multiple gods or goddesses. I don't know the alleged trueness of any of the religious doctrines or the existence of any supreme being for a fact but I am only open to the mere possibility. The existence of Bigfoot is still possibility for me as well as that of a supreme being as I have seen no scientific evidence ruling out the existence of either as absolute proof. Christianity could be possibly true but so could Judaism or Hinduism. I don't know the existence the alleged immortal human soul for a fact but still accept its possibility.

The biggest mystery to me in all of world religious history is how Christianity became so big and powerful? For thousands of years in Europe, paganism/polytheism was a long-standing tradition among the Greeks, Romans, gemanics, Slovic and other tribes and peoples of Europe and the Western Civilization. Judaism was the first monotheistic faith I know of and has pre-dated Christianity for a long spell. How did this long-haired bearded man, Jesus Christ, with his few disciples turn the long-standing religious traditions in the western ancient Old World on its ear? Why did that world give up paganism and judaism to come to Jesus? What was the driving force, the motivation, to make this crucified humble man to be King of the religious western world following the fall of the Roman Empire and the go on through the course of history dominate the entire world today?

The thing I hate most about monotheistic religions is the homophobia. Same-sex romance and love was well-accepted widely in the ancient pagan world. It was because of the rise of the church that we have had homosexuals in the closet for centuries and such hate words as ******, fairy, queer and bull-dyke. It seems the three main monotheistic faiths, Judaism, Christianity and the newest kid on the block, Islam, have condemned same-sex attraction to some extent and have gone so afr as putting homsexuals to death for that reason. The Jews seem to be the least outspoken against homosexuality these days, however, the Catholics, not so much, but the biggest hate-purveyors are so-called Christian Right groups in America. Many Islamic nations still make sodomy a capital crime.
Welcome aboard... I am a fellow Idahoan, went to grad school in Moscow and worked in Coeur d' Alene for a while, but now I am your neighbor in Washington State. :)

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was baptized a Christian (Methodist) in my boyhood but at age 55 I have doubts about the Christian belief. I feel some Americans claim to be Christians and go to church to make them look good or like they are doing the right thing in the presence of other people but may or may not strongly believe in the faith. I have also witnessed much hypocrisy in so-called Christian organizations.

I still subscribe to the possibility there is a single God or multiple gods or goddesses. I don't know the alleged trueness of any of the religious doctrines or the existence of any supreme being for a fact but I am only open to the mere possibility. The existence of Bigfoot is still possibility for me as well as that of a supreme being as I have seen no scientific evidence ruling out the existence of either as absolute proof. Christianity could be possibly true but so could Judaism or Hinduism. I don't know the existence the alleged immortal human soul for a fact but still accept its possibility.

The biggest mystery to me in all of world religious history is how Christianity became so big and powerful? For thousands of years in Europe, paganism/polytheism was a long-standing tradition among the Greeks, Romans, gemanics, Slovic and other tribes and peoples of Europe and the Western Civilization. Judaism was the first monotheistic faith I know of and has pre-dated Christianity for a long spell. How did this long-haired bearded man, Jesus Christ, with his few disciples turn the long-standing religious traditions in the western ancient Old World on its ear? Why did that world give up paganism and judaism to come to Jesus? What was the driving force, the motivation, to make this crucified humble man to be King of the religious western world following the fall of the Roman Empire and the go on through the course of history dominate the entire world today?

The thing I hate most about monotheistic religions is the homophobia. Same-sex romance and love was well-accepted widely in the ancient pagan world. It was because of the rise of the church that we have had homosexuals in the closet for centuries and such hate words as ******, fairy, queer and bull-dyke. It seems the three main monotheistic faiths, Judaism, Christianity and the newest kid on the block, Islam, have condemned same-sex attraction to some extent and have gone so afr as putting homsexuals to death for that reason. The Jews seem to be the least outspoken against homosexuality these days, however, the Catholics, not so much, but the biggest hate-purveyors are so-called Christian Right groups in America. Many Islamic nations still make sodomy a capital crime.
Welcome Jonathan.

I am a Christian of the Methodist variety in my 50's. I am a scientist. If you ever have an interest in science discussions, we have several going on.

Jonathan Bailey

Welcome Jonathan.

I am a Christian of the Methodist variety in my 50's. I am a scientist. If you ever have an interest in science discussions, we have several going on.

I have no grudge against science except I wish the scientific community would try to demonstrate that people's sexual orientation, whatever it may happen to be, is natural and inborn in a way that is widely believable. A man I met 15 years ago, who claimed to be a 'chemist', once told me he thought homosexuality to be "unnatural". Well, he apparently has not heard that at least 1,500 species of wild animals have been observed in nature participating in same-sex matings. I met this supposed chemist while he was living in a homeless shelter anyway, so, so much for his credibility as a man of science. My mother once said that a scientist must be open-minded. Even some "medical doctors" come across as dumb hicks to me.