• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello everyone

Loviatar

Red Tory/SpongeBob Conservative
Where to begin... I'm Eija (ey-ya), a college student from Finland originally, though I've lived in Upstate NY for several years now. Religion has long been a fascination of mine, just reading up on different beliefs about what's right and what lies beyond our sensory experience. This board seemed friendly, diverse, and like it had a lot of in-depth discussion, so I thought I'd sign up and participate.

I come from a Lutheran background originally, and I have a deep and abiding love for the Judeo-Christian tradition, especially the Gospels. But, my personal search for meaning has led me in a more Eastern direction, since I see the "problem of evil" as a convincing argument against the Abrahamic conception of divinity. I have a lot of sympathy for the outlook of Taoism and Zen, as someone who struggles with chronic anxiety and sees their critique of forced action firsthand. Mindfulness really does help, for me.

Outside of religious discussions, I'm very interested in philosophy more broadly, politics (I'm a right-wing social democrat; "Christian Democrat"/"Red Tory" in European terms, conservative Democrat in current US ones), music, and cooking.

I should also explain my username too: Loviatar is a villainous goddess in Finnish mythology, an ice-cold witch from the far north. It's a handle that teenage-me picked out in an edgelordy mood, I've used it online for years and decided I'd create continuity by doing so here too. I actually only realized after registering that, since this is a religious forum, it could give the wrong impression.

Aaaanyway, this is getting long, so I'll just end with: it's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to chatting.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Where to begin... I'm Eija (ey-ya), a college student from Finland originally, though I've lived in Upstate NY for several years now. Religion has long been a fascination of mine, just reading up on different beliefs about what's right and what lies beyond our sensory experience. This board seemed friendly, diverse, and like it had a lot of in-depth discussion, so I thought I'd sign up and participate.

I come from a Lutheran background originally, and I have a deep and abiding love for the Judeo-Christian tradition, especially the Gospels. But, my personal search for meaning has led me in a more Eastern direction, since I see the "problem of evil" as a convincing argument against the Abrahamic conception of divinity. I have a lot of sympathy for the outlook of Taoism and Zen, as someone who struggles with chronic anxiety and sees their critique of forced action firsthand. Mindfulness really does help, for me.

Outside of religious discussions, I'm very interested in philosophy more broadly, politics (I'm a right-wing social democrat; "Christian Democrat"/"Red Tory" in European terms, conservative Democrat in current US ones), music, and cooking.

I should also explain my username too: Loviatar is a villainous goddess in Finnish mythology, an ice-cold witch from the far north. It's a handle that teenage-me picked out in an edgelordy mood, I've used it online for years and decided I'd create continuity by doing so here too. I actually only realized after registering that, since this is a religious forum, it could give the wrong impression.

Aaaanyway, this is getting long, so I'll just end with: it's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to chatting.

Hi Lovitar,

My name is Adrian. Welcome to RF. I've found RF a good forum for learning about history and different religious beliefs through discussion and debate. I'm from a Christian background but have been a Baha'i for many years. I'm currently learning about Islam and hope to look a little closer at Judaism and Buddhism after that. Like you I'm a practitioner of mindfulness. I hope you find being here helpful for your journey.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I come from a Lutheran background originally, and I have a deep and abiding love fo kor the Judeo-Christian tradition, especially the Gospels. But, my personal search for meaning has led me in a more Eastern direction, since I see the "problem of evil" as a convincing argument against the Abrahamic conception of divinity. I have a lot of sympathy for the outlook of Taoism and Zen, as someone who struggles with chronic anxiety and sees their critique of forced action firsthand. Mindfulness really does help, for me.

Morning from east coast

I'ma catholobuddhatheipanthiest.

Haha. No. I'm a buddhist, former practitioner of a beautiful Catholic faith. Never heard of atheist and pantheist until I came on RF (Religious forums) and full blown, hundred percent atheist. Born. Bred. And die one.

Seriously, I'm a Zen Buddhist and took the precepts last year, I believe. Studying the pali suttas since I like Theravada as well as Mahayana.

Anyway, that's about me from a "traditional" religious definition.

Art is my foremost passion above all and everything.

In a nutshell.

Welcome

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Greetings Loviatar.
Welcome to RF!

I too have a screen name I picked rather on a whim many years ago. Then I stuck with it through many different forums, mainly just because I had gotten used to it.
:shrug:

Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Join us for free breakfast in the RF cafeteria.
Today there's a real treat....
auchyle-guest-house.jpg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi. It is somewhat diverse, however we need more Lutherans from Finland. We do not have enough of those.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Welcome to RF.

What part of upstate NY have you been living in? I'm originally from Syracuse but not I'm a denizen of Northern California,

Loviatar

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I hope you find being here helpful for your journey.
I hope so as well. :)

Hi. It is somewhat diverse, however we need more Lutherans from Finland. We do not have enough of those.
Ex-Lutheran, unfortunately. But they're a bunch diverse enough to make an exciting forum all on their own, I could go on all day about the variations of Finnish Lutheranism.

What part of upstate NY have you been living in? I'm originally from Syracuse but not I'm a denizen of Northern California,
I live near Albany, though I go to school in New Paltz.

Northern California is gorgeous, by the way.

Loviatar

and yet you chose Alice of Wonderland for the pic
Well, technically she's Alice of some undisclosed location in Britain but probably London based on where her inspiration's from and the background that's described. Mostly though, I picked her because she looks like me. xD

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, technically she's Alice of some undisclosed location in Britain but probably London based on where her inspiration's from and the background that's described. Mostly though, I picked her because she looks like me. xD
Have you read the story, and do you particularly enjoy something in it? What part if any, or what do you like about the story?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Welcome to RF