• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello all I'm new

zaptearNH

I would like some help understand more about this bible I have I got it from my grandmother she got from her mother thy are dead so can't really ask them
IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow. I'm not expert, but that does look quite charming. It must be worth a fair amount.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, OK. First, families sometimes put a little geneological record in the front of these. I do not know why and could only guess it was a stylistic reference to the phrase "Book of Life", referenced in the book of Revelation at the end of your Bible. The little geneology may tell you the names of your great-grandparents etc.

The Bible is a library of many books, and there should be an index at the front. It is a translation from ancient languages and is not going to be spot-on with meanings. It will also have some untranslated words. It is not made in such a way that you can just read through it front to back and understand it well. Do not read it like a book or textbook. Research which book in the Bible you are interested in by reading a little prologue and a little background. Then read one book of the Bible.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What you have is a Bible that had its copyright from 1890. Those bibles are usually the KJVs and are leather bound and supported by the metal brackets because they weigh in excess of 12 pounds. They are very ornate and rare to find in such good shape. They value anywhere from $125 and up. In the condition yours is in, I have seen them go for over $700.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe try an antiques or used-booksellers resource? Take it to a used book store and ask them.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Yeah, OK. First, families sometimes put a little geneological record in the front of these. I do not know why and could only guess it was a stylistic reference to the phrase "Book of Life", referenced in the book of Revelation at the end of your Bible. The little geneology may tell you the names of your great-grandparents etc.
Until quite recently a Bible was one of the few things most people owned that could be passed down from one generation to the next. They became little genealogies because of that.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Welcome aboard :D

Nice looking boo there. I recommend considering the content, not the presentation tho. Don't judge a book by it's cover, you know ;)