• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hellenistic Jews and Christian thought

Riders

Well according to wiki, I read about Hellinistic Jews, they were a part of Christianity, Christianity came from that.
Wiki says Hellinistic Jews believed in Judaism and Greek culture. My sister always say sure Roman beliefs and Greek beliefs were in their culture but that doesn't mean anything they were Christian!

WHOOPSI DAISY NOPE! I read Wiki an Christians that came from Hellenistic Jews and Hellinistic Jews, studied and believed in Greek Philosophy! They did worship either the Jewish God or Christian God.

Christians may still say this isn't a big deal but it is. One reason is this, as a Zen Buddhist I don't worship Buddha,I worship the Gods and Godesses, but Zen is also a philosophy to me and most people who practice it and too many Christians say no its wrong.

But according to Wiki the Jews and Christians were studying other philosophies. They worshipped their own God no doubt but had other philosophies, this maybe why some are ok with Zen.

A part of the dead sea scrolls were written by Hellinistic Jews.

For Christians that want to study Greek philosophy, it should be very validating for Christians.They use to have a class at meetup.com but its not there now.

But anyways yea froma Philosophical view point I imagine the belief in Hell and Heaven also came from Greek philosophy, I wonder how many other ideas in Christianity came from the Greek? Theres nothing wrong really with them taking from other beliefs.

Its just that the Christians will be in complete denial because according to them their religion was dropped out of the sky out of nowhere from God.Theyre pure.

Maybe some LIberal CHristians agree with me.

pearl

Hellenism goes back at least to the time of the Maccabees and Antiochus Epiphanes and imposing Hellenism on all his subjects including the abolition of religion. The heritage from these Maccabean wars was Pharisaism. There was certainly a Greek culture that flourished in NT times. When Paul states he is speaking to Jews and Greeks by Greeks is meant the non-Jewish proselytes. To the Greek philosopher the gospel of the cross is a folly. But Paul also states that through baptism both Jew and Greek form one body. Basically, Hellenism designates Gk-speaking Jews residing in Jerusalem and Damascus and members of this group who joined the Christian community.

What is more evidenced today, I think, is the difference between the God of faith, and the God of the philosophers. The God of the philosophers is self-centered thought simply contemplating itself, pure cosmic mathematics. The God of faith, one of relationship. The God of faith as thought is also love.

But according to Wiki the Jews and Christians were studying other philosophies. They worshipped their own God no doubt but had other philosophies, this maybe why some are ok with Zen.

True, one does not worship a philosophy. But through philosophy concepts concerning the 'wholly Other' may be formed. Simply put this means that the God of faith may remain the ultimate focus, the ultimate goal of a Christian who practices a Zen discipline.

Its just that the Christians will be in complete denial because according to them their religion was dropped out of the sky out of nowhere from God.Theyre pure.

This is a collective condemnation. One may not impose what one thinks all Christians think based on ones own conjecture of what someone else believes.

Riders

Thank you! Very interesting reply thanks for the info.Yes your right I did stereotype Christians. Just have been fed up lately with my sister responses.
My sister Carolyn belongs to a Jewish Messianic Christian church and claims not to be Christian even. She says she agree with me and that's why all Catholics and Anglo Catholics Episcopalians are Pagans and cant be Christian.

But anyways the Dead Sea scrolls has writings from the Hellinistic folks. They studied Greek philosophy. They were part of Greek culture.

We have the Greek old testament and the Septuagint old Testament that has Helinistic writing in it.

So I assume you see no wrong with studying Greek philosophy or any other Philosophy as long as your worship the Christian God.

I'm not Christian. However I think Christians who feel ok good about studying other philosophys are ahead of other Christian societys and on a positive path. Thank you for letting me there are a few of you out there,

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
But anyways the Dead Sea scrolls has writings from the Hellinistic folks. They studied Greek philosophy. They were part of Greek culture.

I'm going to agree with Jayhawker and say this doesn't make much sense. Greek = Hellenic; Hellenistic = Greek-like. There's actually a difference between the two.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm going to agree with Jayhawker and say this doesn't make much sense. Greek = Hellenic; Hellenistic = Greek-like. There's actually a difference between the two.
Actually, it refers to a historical period:

"The Hellenistic period covers the period of ancient Greek (Hellenic) history and Mediterranean history between the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC and the emergence of the Roman Empire as signified by the Battle of Actium in 31 BC and the subsequent conquest of Ptolemaic Egypt the following year."

Hellenistic period - Wikipedia

Riders

Wiki says literally they believed in Greek philosophy and they give a definition for Hellinistic it means Greek culture, philosophy is a part of culture and it also include the term Philo which means philosophy.

Riders

Yes I looked it up! Heres the exact definition of Hellinistic!You are all wrong! Here it is.of or relating to Greek history language and culture from the death of Alexander the great to the defeat of Cleaopatra and Mark Antony by Octavia in 31 BC! YAY!

Then I searched for the term culture definition, It has several things under including Philosophy !Whoosh!

Riders

ALso besides all my definitions which disagree with you ,Philosophy doesn't mean you change Gods or religions, they all had the same God.

Riders

Yes I agree with you, well No I'm actually earth based Zen Buddhist although I have thought switching to one God. I believe in Nature and also I'm a Unitarian Universalist.

I agree with you the Christian God is not god.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well according to wiki, I read about Hellinistic Jews, they were a part of Christianity, Christianity came from that.
Wiki says Hellinistic Jews believed in Judaism and Greek culture. My sister always say sure Roman beliefs and Greek beliefs were in their culture but that doesn't mean anything they were Christian!

WHOOPSI DAISY NOPE! I read Wiki an Christians that came from Hellenistic Jews and Hellinistic Jews, studied and believed in Greek Philosophy! They did worship either the Jewish God or Christian God.

Christians may still say this isn't a big deal but it is. One reason is this, as a Zen Buddhist I don't worship Buddha,I worship the Gods and Godesses, but Zen is also a philosophy to me and most people who practice it and too many Christians say no its wrong.

A part of the dead sea scrolls were written by Hellinistic Jews.

For Christians that want to study Greek philosophy, it should be very validating for Christians.They use to have a class at meetup.com but its not there now.

But anyways yea froma Philosophical view point I imagine the belief in Hell and Heaven also came from Greek philosophy, I wonder how many other ideas in Christianity came from the Greek? Theres nothing wrong really with them taking from other beliefs.

Maybe some LIberal CHristians agree with me.

Hellenistic Greek is a political persuasion. Christian is a theological persuasion. The two share some over lapping magisterium but none that are really relevant other than the Koine Greek language.

Riders

Its in the eye of the beholder ,to me the religion and philosophy was a part, butt he Christian likes to make it look like it didn't mean anything.