• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hellenic Polytheism Patron Deity

Thaeunius

Hi there! I have recently discovered my patron god and patron goddess in Hellenic Polytheism. My god is Hephaestus and my patron goddess is Athena. How exactly am I supposed to worship to them and ask them for guidance and help?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi there! I have recently discovered my patron god and patron goddess in Hellenic Polytheism. My god is Hephaestus and my patron goddess is Athena. How exactly am I supposed to worship to them and ask them for guidance and help?

A lot of us give offerings, rituals, and prayers in the name of our deities or ideals of worship. Like if I compared my faith to paganism, the Indian Gods/desses would be my pantheon. Id ask them or read about what they like and dislike. For me, they are achetypes.

All around offerings are water (purity), milk (I read), maybe flowers. Lighting candles and incense is a way to honor the gods on s broader scope.

As for specific Hellenic practices, I have no idea.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's wonderful that you have found your deities. Athena was always one of my very favorite Goddesses. Hail Athena!

Anyway, you may want to start here: http://elaion.org/resource-centre/

Libations are the basic offerings to the Gods: http://www.labrys.gr/index-en.php?l=spondes_xoes-en

Good advice:

"Relax; in Hellenismos, it is the simple things that make a difference. A heartfelt prayer, a stick of incense or a lit candle are wonderful and appropriate ways of honouring the Gods. A shrine needs to be no more then artwork on your walls. What comes across from ancient literature are those simple but sincere acts that opens one’s mind and heart to the Gods that really matters."

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You might want to be aware that a number of Hellenics (as well as some other Neopagans) are going to frown upon people using terminology like "patron god" for a variety of reasons. While the term has been modernized to mean something disparate from its original meaning, some are still sticks in the mud with respect to sticking to traditional meanings of the term.

How you go about worship depends on your manner of practice. If you're looking to be a reconstructionist, what you do is going to potentially look a lot different than if you're unconcerned with adhering to historical forms of worship. That said, even if you have no intention of conforming to historical modes of worship, it is an act of respect and worship in of itself to at least be familiar with those gestures and possibly even do those form time to time. I haven't looked into historical worship in Hellenic religions enough to give you any advice on that, but you'll need to do some research using appropriate scholarly references to find that stuff (e.g., Burket's "Greek Religion" and the like).

As for prayer? On the whole, it doesn't strike me as respectful or wise to be begging gods for favors when you don't have a relationship developed with them. I realize that a number of Wiccan-esque types will use the gods like they're some sort of spell component or means to an ends, but devotional polytheism isn't going to approve of that cup of tea, nor is it particularly on board with viewing the gods as... for lack of a more polite way of putting it... cosmic mommy/daddy figures.

But honestly? Do what you want. It's your practice. Nobody else needs to approve of it but you.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Create a Thoughtform and give Life to it, and allow the deity you Will to reach out to to use that Thoughtform as a vessel to communicate with you. A vessel, as in, allow that God or goddess to "possess" the Thoughtform and to become the Thoughtform. Then, whenever you Will, converse with it, silently or otherwise. Develop a relationship with that god or goddess.

As for worship... "Worship" is an interesting word. I would suggest that you look for ways to generate Mana for that deity, and ways to show respect and appreciation. This may vary from god to god, pantheon to pantheon... Lilith for example is more about sex, pleasure and Infernal badassery while the Hellenic goddess Athena is more about athleticism, war, and wisdom. You want to generate Mana for Athena? Train hard and become a great athlete, fighter, or soldier, and praise Athena throughout your journey. Study various religions and spiritual practices to become as wise as possible, and praise Athena. Some methods of generating mana cross over across nearly all deities... art and ritual to name a few.

Really, you should develop your own spiritual/ religious system of reaching out to the gods. You are pagan... you have every freedom to do so. Worship in a way that feels epic and awesome to you. Forge your own path outside of the modern neopagan "movements" who might limit what you Will to become.

Anyway... this is all just advice... do what you Will...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Ah, another follower of the Olympians. Welcome, friend!

Judging from your patrons, I'd guess that you're good at making things, or have aspirations to such. Assuming this is true, the things you craft and give shape can be very appropriate offerings -especially to such a pair of gods. More generally-speaking, the gods have things associated with them; animals, numbers, constellations, stars, objects, colours etc which could become significant to their worshippers. Also, the Greeks in many places set aside specific days for honouring a member of the pantheon - Aphrodite's day in the the Athenian calender, for instance, is the fourth day after every new moon (which was how the Greeks started their months). So now it can be the 4th of every month - or not, depending on whether 4 is a number her worshipper associates with her, or whether they intend to stick to the Athenian calender or not (I don't but it's as good a day as any).

Setting up a dedicated altar or shrine as a an indoors worship-space can be useful but isn't necessary. It can help to meditate on the gods as well.

Last edited:

Nyiix

As for worship... "Worship" is an interesting word. I would suggest that you look for ways to generate Mana for that deity, and ways to show respect and appreciation. This may vary from god to god, pantheon to pantheon... Lilith for example is more about sex, pleasure and Infernal badassery while the Hellenic goddess Athena is more about athleticism, war, and wisdom. You want to generate Mana for Athena? Train hard and become a great athlete, fighter, or soldier, and praise Athena throughout your journey. Study various religions and spiritual practices to become as wise as possible, and praise Athena. Some methods of generating mana cross over across nearly all deities... art and ritual to name a few.
Never really thought of this way of showing respect and appreciation for a deity. This was eye opening for me, thank you for that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
some other Neopagans) are going to frown upon people using terminology like "patron god" for a variety of reasons.

Tell it! I still have the marks on my tongue when it was pulled out and stomped on with cleats for using the word 'patron'. I've since switched to the Stick-Up-Their-Butt-Heathen-Approved® fultrui, 'trusted friend'. I don't know what the equivalent in other religions is, except Hinduism's ishta-devata, 'cherished deity'.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Never really thought of this way of showing respect and appreciation for a deity.

Remember, the gods and goddesses are supremely wiser, greater, older and more powerful than we are, albeit not omniscient, omnipotent nor omnipresent. When we ask for something and they grant it, we owe them a gift in return.