• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hellenic cosmic cycle.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Is there a notion in Hellenic religion of the cosmos going through cycles of creation and destruction like in Heathenry and Hinduism?

VioletVortex

This is something I've given occasional thought to as well. I think that the whole Indo-European thing is played up a bit by historians, there were in fact Non-Indo-European groups present throughout Europe from the Neanderthal period into classical antiquity, including Iberian, Illyrian, Uralic (still present today), Proto-Scandinavian, etc. The Indo-European language group formed an umbrella over a few groups, such as the Scythians, and elements of their language (mainly grammar and syntax) spread throughout Europe and Asia, and now we identify the languages influenced by this Indo-European languages.

This would explain why different forms of European Paganism are quite different from each other, for example, the Norse religion places heavy emphasis on Ragnarok, while none such thing exists traditionally in Greco-Roman paths.

I did some reading, and found that the Greco-Roman deities are regarded as being more "be all end all" powers, able to decide their own fate, therefore, they face no twilight. With that said, I think it would be logical to incorporate a Ragnarok-like concept into your theology if you are a Hellenic Pagan, but that's just according to my beliefs. To me, Ragnarok has smaller manifestations, such as the fall of various civilizations, but there will be a primary manifestation akin to the "big bounce".

von bek

I am unaware of anything in the old epics or hymns speaking of a cycle of creation and destruction. There is talk of ages and transitions in the history of the cosmos, however.