• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell

Mister Emu said:
"where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever".
So there are days and nights in Hell?

this is a rehash of one of my older posts but i think its relevant...

this is a question to all the literalists...
Is Hell a physical place? It clearly states acording to our translations that Hell is a lake of fire and sulfur. That implies matter. However, there is a problem. To have a physical "Hell" you would have to have a place some where in the universe where Hell is. The universe is perpetually expanding, and eventually, all matter will be torn apart into oblivion. Modern scientific studies support this, I will cite upon request if u really care. How then, can Hell be a place of ETERNAL punishment if no physical place can exist forever?
I am leaning toward the metaphorical interpritations now, thanks for the insights guys.

starofjacob

Just to add to this engaging topic. In the end of Revelation. I believe 20 or 21 it says that "He shall throw "HELL" into the "LAKE OF FIRE". How can hell and the lake of fire be the same place. They seem like they might be different to me if one is thrown into the other. I play basketball and I have learned that the ball and the hoop aren't the same thing. U can throw the ball in the hoop, but not vice versa. PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, ITS BUGGIN ME. Any takers?

Keeping it REAL.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I do not believe in Hell. I do not think a BEing like GOD who displays unconditional LOVE would create a place to put (read:judge) people. I also do not think that a GOD who has given us the Free Will to live would spring this on us after death. It kind of defeats the PURPOSE of Free Will.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So there are days and nights in Hell?

I guess so.

To have a physical "Hell" you would have to have a place some where in the universe where Hell is

If it is physical(which I'm not saying it is, or isn't) why would it have to be in this universe? If God can create this universe, why not a special place that will stay the same forever.

I believe 20 or 21 it says that "He shall throw "HELL" into the "LAKE OF FIRE

and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire.

Ok, so my terminology is wrong, Hell is the place where some of the dead go until the final judgement, when they will be thrown into the lake of fire.

It kind of defeats the PURPOSE of Free Will.

Judgement does not defeat free will. The purpose of free will is choice, which we have and which we all utilize.

anders

Gerani1248 said:
ive already made plans to become a world famous bharathanatyam dancer in the 1800s of my next life.

Gerani,

I've just read through this thread, and I find this quote to be the most interesting, new (to me at least) and thought-provoking part of all. I've never before seen the mentioning of a possible reincarnation/rebirth in a "previous" time. That's quite consistent with the Eastern concept of circular time and/or the Feynman diagrams of quantum physics which can be interpreted as particles traveling backwards in time.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"

Gerani,

I've just read through this thread, and I find this quote to be the most interesting, new (to me at least) and thought-provoking part of all. I've never before seen the mentioning of a possible reincarnation/rebirth in a "previous" time. That's quite consistent with the Eastern concept of circular time and/or the Feynman diagrams of quantum physics which can be interpreted as particles traveling backwards in time."

why not? its possible. lol.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
yes, i dont think the soul is limited to time. i mean, it is limited to time once its in an actual body. the body is born and lives and dies, and has time, but the soul doesnt. does the soul have a creation? i dont think so. i think the soul has always been, just a part of the divine God who has been ever and ever.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
anders said:
Gerani,

I've just read through this thread, and I find this quote to be the most interesting, new (to me at least) and thought-provoking part of all. I've never before seen the mentioning of a possible reincarnation/rebirth in a "previous" time. That's quite consistent with the Eastern concept of circular time and/or the Feynman diagrams of quantum physics which can be interpreted as particles traveling backwards in time.

For those that believe in past lives, there's actually a good deal of proof of this. Time is merely what one percieves. Thus, you can be born (or re-born) with memories of your previous life which will have taken place in the future.
(Thinking about the whole thing bends the tenses of the English language to the verge of the breaking point, though. :) )

destined

carrdero said:
I do not believe in Hell. I do not think a BEing like GOD who displays unconditional LOVE would create a place to put (read:judge) people. I also do not think that a GOD who has given us the Free Will to live would spring this on us after death. It kind of defeats the PURPOSE of Free Will.

I don't think that a person should say "I don't believe in Hell" I think that it would be better to say, "I don't believe in the hell that this religion teaches or that religion teaches because...." To simply state a non-believe in hell is to give up to easily on a topic that is of vast importance and spoken of by one of the greatest (prophets/teachers/god/whatever) that has ever walked the face of this earth, Jesus. Now I would agree that the concept of hell as some people have portrayed it is very barbaric, and you can see from my previoius posts some of the reasons why?

Thanks.

destined

Gerani1248 said:
yes, i dont think the soul is limited to time. i mean, it is limited to time once its in an actual body. the body is born and lives and dies, and has time, but the soul doesnt. does the soul have a creation? i dont think so. i think the soul has always been, just a part of the divine God who has been ever and ever.

Wow. I think that you are very smart, and definatily on the right track. Keep up the good work.

One question though... why do you think the soul was not created??? and could it possibly be that it (the soul) was created and yet also was/is a part of the "divine God" (i like to use the term invisible God, or Ultimate God, because there is so much confusion with who and who is not God)

thanks.

destined

anders said:
Gerani,

Anders,
Do you recomend any reading material for this Feynman fellow, sounds interesting and I think that Quntum Physics is going to open our eyes to a whole new world as far as religion goes. Once again science is passing religion by... it doesn't have to be this way, everything that science has taught us (not everything of course) is easily obtainable in the Bible, people are just so narrow minded that they can't see past the end of their noses... heck even Einstiens theory of relativity is in the bible.

Thanks.

To anders;
the cyclic view is indeed Eastern and it was the Greek view also, but the Hebrew view was more lenier in it's scope always progressing to the future perfection of mankind.

Thanks again Destined for your input!

To mr. emu, Would you like me to send you a deep study on the words used in the bible for time,eternity,ages,forever etc etc?
Peace

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
To mr. emu, Would you like me to send you a deep study on the words used in the bible for time,eternity,ages,forever etc etc?

I would appreciate it.

starofjacob

So Mr. Emu. It looks as if you kinda believe that there are levels to hell, since you agreed that hell and the lake of Fire aren't the same place, yet each seems very damnable. Whats interesting is that there must be many types of hells. It talks about it in the Bible when David says "if I am in the lowest hell, you are there". Since you agree that there must be at least two places which we refer to as hell, is it possible that there are more?,,, and if there is, what are they?

Secondly, if there are levels of hell, would you concur that there might also be levels of heaven? I mean, as much as we have focused on the negative, lets focus on the positives of heaven/heavens. Besides, it tells us right in the bible that this is where we should put our minds, 'on heavenly things where Christ is seated.'

I'd love to hear some comments on this. Thanks

AND YOU SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH (REALITY), AND THE REALITY SHALL MAKE YOU FREE"

KEEPING IN REAL

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"One question though... why do you think the soul was not created??? and could it possibly be that it (the soul) was created and yet also was/is a part of the "divine God" (i like to use the term invisible God, or Ultimate God, because there is so much confusion with who and who is not God)

thanks."

i say it has never been created because it is part of God. and God was here since EVER. like, God has no beginning or end. same does the soul. but the soul can live in bodies of creatures based on the consequences of its karma and these creatures birth, live, and die. but the soul lives on, learns from these experences and is reborn. since its in samsara, the cycle of birth,death,rebirth, it will only become a part of God once the soul has reached the truth. then the soul can finally become part of the divine. i mean, we have souls in our bodies, but the soul has not found the divine in it, even though it is divine. its like a child trying to find its mommy. how it got lost in the first place? lets ask God.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Whether or not Hell exists is not the real issue here, especially to those who have not recieved Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
The bible is clear when it says ," the man without God does not understand the things of God, neither can he know them, they are foolisness to him ,for they are spiritually discerned"
I once felt like that, not truly understanding how people ( Christians) could believe in something that is not present, until I saw my sin and realised I needed a Savior and then he gave me the assurance I was looking for, which was his Holy Spirit.
the inner witness that attests to the truth of God's word , the bible , hell, punishment , heaven etc.etc.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
If you read in context and in keeping with the mood and mindset Job was encountering.
The suffering he was enduring must have been enormous, I would think I may have even questioned paradise or heaven with God, if I were in his state of pain and discomfort not only physical but losing his 10 children to death at the same time , I could possibly question God's existence

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So Mr. Emu. It looks as if you kinda believe that there are levels to hell,

I'm not really sure, as I said before I think hell may be where the unrighteous dead go right now until the final judgement. I hadn't put much though into the matter until this thread truly.

Secondly, if there are levels of hell, would you concur that there might also be levels of heaven? I mean, as much as we have focused on the negative, lets focus on the positives of heaven/heavens

I don't believe that there will be levels per se, but some people will have bigger mansions I believe.

destined

Mister Emu said:
I don't believe that there will be levels per se, but some people will have bigger mansions I believe.
What do you mean by mansion??? Is there a physical mansion that has larger or smaller dimensions than others???

curious.

destined

Gerani1248 said:
i say it has never been created because it is part of God. and God was here since EVER. like, God has no beginning or end. same does the soul. but the soul can live in bodies of creatures based on the consequences of its karma and these creatures birth, live, and die. but the soul lives on, learns from these experences and is reborn. since its in samsara, the cycle of birth,death,rebirth, it will only become a part of God once the soul has reached the truth. then the soul can finally become part of the divine. i mean, we have souls in our bodies, but the soul has not found the divine in it, even though it is divine. its like a child trying to find its mommy. how it got lost in the first place? lets ask God.
Okay, i love what you are saying here... what about this... and think about this one...

What if something could be created and yet still be eternal (with no begining or end)???

Could this happen??? Or more importantly did this happen???

Curious