• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell for the Heathens : )

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Fluffy said:
In my opinion, all the major religions are pretty clear on the "my way or the highway" attitude. It is not a threat. It is like believing that if you stick your tongue in a plug socket, you will get electrocuted. If someone told me that they believed that if I walked out infront of a car, I had a high probability of dieing, I would not view that as a threat so why do you view it as a threat when you disagree with the initial assumptions of that person? The motive is still the same so no threat is implied. Just my opinion though.

Although I do agree that the 'my way or the highway' attitude has been used as a threat in many times throughout history, that doesn't make it necessarily so that it always implies a loosely veiled threat.
There is a threat implied here. By stepping out in front of a car, those are my own actions. Being punished for an eternity in hell is being punished by either god or Satan but being punished non the less. Those are actions taken by them for the simple reason I didn't find any reason to believe in them. Forget the fact that if this was true this being wouldn't even be worth worship but this is bullying on an level high school bullies could only dream of.

Fluffy

A fool
There is a threat implied here. By stepping out in front of a car, those are my own actions. Being punished for an eternity in hell is being punished by either god or Satan but being punished non the less. Those are actions taken by them for the simple reason I didn't find any reason to believe in them. Forget the fact that if this was true this being wouldn't even be worth worship but this is bullying on an level high school bullies could only dream of.
That is fair enough but then your problem is with God and/or Satan, not with the person who believes that disbelief in them is enough to warrant punishment. There is indeed a threat portrayed from God and/or Satan but none from Viva. Afterall, if one believes that then there is no need for threats is there?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
In fact, I don't believe god is threatening me, as I don't believe in god. I do feel Viva is threatening me with the fact She believes her god will punish me. It's her beliefs that are trying to use fear of an eternal damnation against me. That is her threatening me.

Fluffy

A fool
In fact, I don't believe god is threatening me, as I don't believe in god. I do feel Viva is threatening me with the fact She believes her god will punish me.
How is it possible for Viva to threaten you with something that doesn't exist?

It is a simple fact for some theists, that if you do not believe in their god, you will go to their hell. A threat implies that they have some sort of control over this process, which they do not. Their beliefs control them, not the other way around.

Surely such a threat is as ludicrous to you as someone telling you that if you don't do what they want then they will do a little dance and stamp there foot three times? Basically, if a threat isn't intended or meaningful to you in anyway, then why take it as one?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:

It is a simple fact for some theists, that if you do not believe in their god, you will go to their hell. A threat implies that they have some sort of control over this process, which they do not. Their beliefs control them, not the other way around.

Surely such a threat is as ludicrous to you as someone telling you that if you don't do what they want then they will do a little dance and stamp there foot three times? Basically, if a threat isn't intended or meaningful to you in anyway, then why take it as one?
Hehe; and this comes from people who believe that they are genuinely trying to 'save you'!
Those who use the dictates of a 'pressgang' who try to gain control by blackmail would be the last in the queue, if I was G-d!:biglaugh:

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Fluffy said:

To her, she believes it's real, which becomes a threat. If I believed doing a little dance and stamping my foot three times would hurt you then wouldn't I be threatening you if I said I was going to do it?

Why does it bother me? For a couple of reasons...the close mindedness of I'm right, your wrong and you'll be punished for it, using fear as a tool of Religious belief, the hidden contempt and hatred in such a view that some people seem to ignore or overlook. She makes this comment, saying she would tell it to us while having a coke with us (or something along those lines) with total disregard to the disrespect and insult such a comment is ment to actually cause.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*strangled sound*

I just wrote a long, involved reply to this, and hit 'reply'... And the library's computer logged me out, or decided I wasn't logged in to start with.

Suffice it to say, it ended with...

As for me, I feel like throwing back my hair and having a long, joyous Happy Heathen Pagan Dancing. Care to join me, anyone?

tkdrocks

Mellowing with Age
My friends and I went to see the Atlanta Braves the other night. Out front was a man, in a suit, yelling and pointing to his Bible, "Read this book to find out why you are all going to Hell."

My friend asked him very calmly, "So God hates baseball?":biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The Black Whirlwind

Luke Wolf said:
Great idea! RF reunion in hell in about 100 years from now! Pre-orde your exclusive RF meeting in hell shirt! (I dont recomend 100% cotton or polyester) Be sure to join us everyone, you to Viva.
I'd recommend fire-retardent garments, and maybe a little kevlar for those pesky pitchforks.

Fluffy

A fool
Why does it bother me? For a couple of reasons...the close mindedness of I'm right, your wrong and you'll be punished for it, using fear as a tool of Religious belief, the hidden contempt and hatred in such a view that some people seem to ignore or overlook. She makes this comment, saying she would tell it to us while having a coke with us (or something along those lines) with total disregard to the disrespect and insult such a comment is ment to actually cause.
Perhaps your right... I do have to question the motives behind wanting to start such a thread. Anybody with sense could only assume that it would end in destructive comments no matter its intent. Weird.

*Dances a happy Pagan type dance thing*

Viva

Friends,

Fluffy is using a the sign of the Witches Foot to represent her/himself. And you are taking advice from this person?

Now fluffy, and other pagans, I'm not sure what grade level you are or if you are at the point of worshipping the Green Man - but could it be that the gods/goddesses that inspire you lie?

Now I like you guys. I'm not threatening any of you or trying to save any of you. I am just giving you my belief. And since we are all tolerant you shouldn't have any hard feelings.

You see, i'm not sure who in here is God's child or not. But those who are not, the Christian positition would be that God may hate you.

Since you are in the dark, you will live in the dark - forever. This my friends is my belief that all Heathens will be in hell. The only way out, is faith -

I hope you respect my position?

VIva

Circle_One

Since you are in the dark, you will live in the dark - forever. This my friends is my belief that all Heathens will be in hell. The only way out, is faith -
You may think I am in the dark, but I am not. My Goddess lights my path and she lights it with love, respect, and tolerance. And her light shines brighter than any I've seen.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Viva said:
Friends,

Fluffy is using a the sign of the Witches Foot to represent her/himself. And you are taking advice from this person?

Now fluffy, and other pagans, I'm not sure what grade level you are or if you are at the point of worshipping the Green Man - but could it be that the gods/goddesses that inspire you lie?

Now I like you guys. I'm not threatening any of you or trying to save any of you. I am just giving you my belief. And since we are all tolerant you shouldn't have any hard feelings.

You see, i'm not sure who in here is God's child or not. But those who are not, the Christian positition would be that God may hate you.

I hope you respect my position?

VIva
Fluffy, this is all YOUR fault - I've worked out the code!
You watched the Incredible Hulk on television didn't you? - you might as well 'come clean' - now, that's done it - I can't be taking any more advice from you! Worshipping the incredible hulk ? tut tut....*shakes head in despair*:biglaugh:
(Oh heck I've used a green icon - it's contagious!):help:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Viva perhaps you need to crack open Deut. 4:19 and see where G-d tells the Jewish people that it is ok for the other nations of the world to worship in the manner they wish...

Deut. 4 19-20 said:
and lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun and the moon and the stars, even all the host of heaven, thou be drawn away and worship them, and serve them, which HaShem thy G-d hath allotted unto all the peoples under the whole heaven
But you hath HaShem taken and brought forth out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be unto Him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day.

Fluffy

A fool
I wouldnt take advice from me either but my reasoning has nothing to do with my feet. For your information, I am not a witch and have nothing to do with witchcraft since I do not practice it. I keep an open mind about magick but generally I do not believe in it.

They could indeed be lieing. But the chance of them lieing is exactly the same as the chance of your god lieing. I am willing to admit that possibility, are you willing to do the same?
You watched the Incredible Hulk on television didn't you? - you might as well 'come clean' - now, that's done it - I can't be taking any more advice from you! Worshipping the incredible hulk ? tut tut....*shakes head in despair*:biglaugh:
(Oh heck I've used a green icon - it's contagious!):help:
Shhh don't let my secret out Michel! Besides... you won't like me when I'm angry (sorry I couldn't resist :D)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I put off looking at this post, and now I regret it.

... wow. Just... wooow. That's about all I can contribute right now.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Viva dude said:
You see, i'm not sure who in here is God's child or not. But those who are not, the Christian positition would be that God may hate you
You sound much like an agent of Microsoft.
Yet us non christians get told we make fun of Christians beliefs.If God hates me, then that's up to him. I'll live, whether it be in Hell, or wherever :)

Least it is warm down there.

I'll stop before my avatar comes to life..

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Hmm? What do you mean?
I am inspired to lie? Hmm... Well, my Gods have no direct control over me. So no. Besides this, even the Source has no direct control over me. I cannot be "inspired to lie" by my Gods. By the way, I don't know what you mean by the "Green Man". Is this, perhaps, a version of Oghma, God of Wisdom (represented as an oak tree), or Cernunnos, God of the Woods and Animals?

Viva, here are my beliefs:

When you die, you will go to a fiery pit of doom for all eternity. You will be tortured by flames, demons, and many other sadistic means of inflicting pain. Your torture will never end; though you may die, you will be reborn, though you may beg for mercy, there will be none. The reason for this? Because you don't believe what I believe.

Have a nice day!

Seriously Viva, if those were my real beliefs, would you really be able to feel comfortable around me?

Nope. God loves everyone, as it says in your Holy Book, the Bible. Even those who do not believe in him.

Why should we have faith in something that gives us no reason to do so? It's absurd. I ask you, would you follow me if I told you I was a prophet? No? Then why do you follow the ones in the Bible? Why would a loving merciful God sentence someone to hell merely because they were born in a culture that believes a certain thing? God does not punish the son for the sins of the father.