• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hell fire religions = devil worship

Shtef

This is directed more so at fundamentalist
Christianity and Islam.

These sects seem to spend a hell (pardon the pun) of a lot of time on the subject of evil, the devil, his incredible power and hell fire. I don't know about anybody else, but my God is so wonderfully powerful that even if there were a devil, there would be no need to fear it for it would have no power in comparison to God. I see this view as complete 'God worship' - God above all else. This is not the case for fundamentalists. While they certainly claim that God is the Almighty, they live in constant fear that the devil might just get one over God. Assigning so much power to the devil in the face of God is to exalt the devil to a status nearly equal to that of God. Exalting the devil is to worship the devil....inadvertantly, yes, but devil worship all the same.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Shtef said:
Christianity and Islam.

These sects seem to spend a hell (pardon the pun) of a lot of time on the subject of evil, the devil, his incredible power and hell fire. I don't know about anybody else, but my God is so wonderfully powerful that even if there were a devil, there would be no need to fear it for it would have no power in comparison to God. I see this view as complete 'God worship' - God above all else. This is not the case for fundamentalists. While they certainly claim that God is the Almighty, they live in constant fear that the devil might just get one over God. Assigning so much power to the devil in the face of God is to exalt the devil to a status nearly equal to that of God. Exalting the devil is to worship the devil....inadvertantly, yes, but devil worship all the same.

Absolutely. Far too many Christians seem to ascribe to highly dualistic worldviews. Which is nasty :sad4:

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Elvendon said:
Absolutely. Far too many Christians seem to ascribe to highly dualistic worldviews. Which is nasty :sad4:

Absolutely, you get no argument from me on this either. Whilst I do, certainly, believe in the devil I do not believe that he has any power whatsoever if countered with a belief in Christ.

James

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
JamesThePersian said:
Absolutely, you get no argument from me on this either. Whilst I do, certainly, believe in the devil I do not believe that he has any power whatsoever if countered with a belief in Christ.

James
Hi James. What's your point of view concerning the Devil?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Scarlett Wampus said:
Hi James. What's your point of view concerning the Devil?

That he exists but that he has no power whatsoever over anyone who trusts in God. Pretty much the traditional view in both east and west (though we don't have the western horns and pitchfork image). Ask if you need further explanation.

James

Arrow

Satan does not have horns!? :devil:

I think that i agree with C.S. Lewis on this one. Screwtape Letters

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JamesThePersian said:
That he exists but that he has no power whatsoever over anyone who trusts in God. Pretty much the traditional view in both east and west (though we don't have the western horns and pitchfork image). Ask if you need further explanation.

James

I'll second that; Satan is nothing as long as you believe in Christ.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Shtef said:
Christianity and Islam.

Actually, you'd be surprised at some of the sects. Don't lump all sects into one please.
I can tell you, in the past year, I have never heard the word hell mentioned in Church.

Mujahid Mohammed

Shtef said:
Christianity and Islam.

We as muslim do not believe the devil has power over God. The Devil will NEVER GET ONE PAST the one who knows all. Allah created the devil and gave him the power he has. His power is only to influence us to commit crimes against God and each other. Allah hates anyone who commits injustice or transgresses the limits Allah creates. Allah is letting us pick which path to follow. Are we gonna do what he and the people who he appointed says ie. the messengers and prophets. Or are we as humans going to follow our desires and the whispering of the devil who stops at nothing to guide individuals away from the path of those who believe and worship Allah. If we listen to our desires and the devil then Allah will punish us with hellfire. If we do as he commands and refrain from what Allah has commanded and do as he says then we get rewarded with Jannah(paradise). but as i said the devil has no power over Allah he only has the power to influence the creation of Allah ie. those who have been given responsibility over the earth and each other. We will be judged according to that. Did we as a creation do as Allah says or the devil.

Salam,

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Arrow said:
Satan does not have horns!? :devil:

I think that i agree with C.S. Lewis on this one. Screwtape Letters

Not in our view, no. That appears to have been a later western conception influenced by the various pagan horned gods. The few times you do see Satan depicted in the east (such as in icons of the Temptation) he is depicted as what he is, a fallen angel. He generally looks like an evil angel, complete with wings. Bear in mind that our ioconography is meant to depict spiritual truth rather than reality, though, so when Satan is depicted as black and ugly this represents how he is inside rather than how he appears to man. We consider that he appears to men, when he does, as an angel of light and that it takes great spiritual discernment to distinguish the fake angels of the demons from the true ones of God.

James