• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell, a decommissioned scarecrow ?

Neuropteron

Is hell still a current church dogma or a just medieval scare tactic ?

“All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” Such was the inscription placed over the gates of hell in Dante’s Inferno. This 14th-century poet- based on church dogma- depicted hell as a deep pit divided into nine circles going down to the centre of the earth where Satan dwells. Each circle represented a greater degree of suffering and atrocious punishment.

Last judgement paintings are to be seen in many Catholic churches and in museums all over the world. The most famous one likely is Michelangelo’s huge fresco in the Vatican’s Sistine chapel, said to have scared the wits out of Paul III, who had commissioned the painting.

Frightening too are the sculptured portals of many Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals in Europe. Tourists shudder when they gaze at the terrifying scenes carved into the stonework above the central doorway of Notre Dame Cathedral (at least before the fire). There is no doubt that what is depicted is excruciating physical torment of a literal kind.
However the Catholic clergy having been blown along by the winds of changes, have attempted to “cool hell” down. Nonetheless the concept of eternal suffering still remains, where the damned bring eternal suffering "upon themselves".

I ask:
If all these artistic works depicting hell's torture – according the the "cool hell" theory- is incorrect, why was the most famous of them, located right in the Vatican, commissioned by two popes (Clement VII and Paul III)?
On the other hand, if they do give a true picture of official Church dogma, then why have Catholic priests been allowed to soft-pedal such a vital doctrine?
Of course, not all agree with “cool hell”. Pope Paul VI had already begun to reheat it back in 1968, in his “Profession of Faith,” he asserted that sinners who continue to reject God’s love “will go into inextinguishable fire.” A more recent letter, approved by Pope John Paul II, further reminds Catholics that hell is still a place very much to be feared.
Regardless of clergy “opinions”, should the doctrine concerning hell not come from God's word ?

If so, what does the Bible teach about hell ?

What the Bible does not say:
A distinction between the body and the soul is nowhere clearly stated in the Scriptures.
The concept of ‘soul,’ meaning a purely spiritual, immaterial reality, separate from the ‘body ... does not exist in the Bible.

What the Bible does say:
The soul that sinneth, the same shall die.” (Ezek. 18:4, 20, Catholic Douay Bible)
“The wage paid by sin is death; the present given by God is eternal life.” (Rom. 6:23, Catholic Jerusalem Bible)
“Hell” in some translations of the Bible means the common grave of dead mankind (Heb., sheol; Gr., hades)
There will be either a resurrection from sheol or hades, or everlasting destruction in Gr. Ge'enna.
Everlasting life or everlasting death—such is the choice God sets before his creatures.—John 3:16, 36; Deut. 30:19, 20. Not life or eternal torture.
the “everlasting fire” prepared for the Devil, his angels and wicked men (Matt. 25:41, 46) is symbolic of destruction, also called“the second death,” from which there will be no resurrection Rev. 20:9, 10; 21:8.
Would you agree that the dogma of eternal torment in hell is a gross misrepresentation of the just and loving God whom true Christians worship?

Would you agree that the motivating factor in true worship should be love, not morbid fear?
By maintaining the idea of eternal torture in hell, is the Church dishonouring God?

Workman

UNIQUE
Hello friend!..

Your Right!..but what was Left!
Was the ‘Understanding’ of it.

To Die..is not the same meaning as ‘Death’.

So I tell you..
Before you became to being..
You were NOT dead, nor did you die..
From YOU were not yet made alive..
So how does one say “The After’ life be nothing more than of the same way in how it was by ‘The Before’”!?!?

If you should believe it!..then believe it not!.
AND YOU SHALL BE RECEIVED...in it.

For This Is The Word of God!

Whoever has ears to hear let them hear!

Death cannot die..
And the one whom died..did not taste Death!
For ‘Today’..And all days to come with it..Shall you all know me as ‘Death’..
Therefore My Father has made my ‘Presence’ be upon You.

God bless!

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The concept of hell as believed by various religions today stems from the art of Hieronymus Bosch and the comedy poem written by Dante Alighieri.

Very few people even consider the scriptural description of hell.

LightofTruth

The concept of hell as believed by various religions today stems from the art of Hieronymus Bosch and the comedy poem written by Dante Alighieri.

Very few people even consider the scriptural description of hell.
What is the scriptural description of hell?

LightofTruth

“All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” Such was the inscription placed over the gates of hell in Dante’s Inferno. This 14th-century poet- based on church dogma- depicted hell as a deep pit divided into nine circles going down to the centre of the earth where Satan dwells. Each circle represented a greater degree of suffering and atrocious punishment.

Last judgement paintings are to be seen in many Catholic churches and in museums all over the world. The most famous one likely is Michelangelo’s huge fresco in the Vatican’s Sistine chapel, said to have scared the wits out of Paul III, who had commissioned the painting.

Frightening too are the sculptured portals of many Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals in Europe. Tourists shudder when they gaze at the terrifying scenes carved into the stonework above the central doorway of Notre Dame Cathedral (at least before the fire). There is no doubt that what is depicted is excruciating physical torment of a literal kind.
However the Catholic clergy having been blown along by the winds of changes, have attempted to “cool hell” down. Nonetheless the concept of eternal suffering still remains, where the damned bring eternal suffering "upon themselves".

I ask:
If all these artistic works depicting hell's torture – according the the "cool hell" theory- is incorrect, why was the most famous of them, located right in the Vatican, commissioned by two popes (Clement VII and Paul III)?
On the other hand, if they do give a true picture of official Church dogma, then why have Catholic priests been allowed to soft-pedal such a vital doctrine?
Of course, not all agree with “cool hell”. Pope Paul VI had already begun to reheat it back in 1968, in his “Profession of Faith,” he asserted that sinners who continue to reject God’s love “will go into inextinguishable fire.” A more recent letter, approved by Pope John Paul II, further reminds Catholics that hell is still a place very much to be feared.
Regardless of clergy “opinions”, should the doctrine concerning hell not come from God's word ?

A distinction between the body and the soul is nowhere clearly stated in the Scriptures.
The concept of ‘soul,’ meaning a purely spiritual, immaterial reality, separate from the ‘body ... does not exist in the Bible.

What the Bible does say:
The soul that sinneth, the same shall die.” (Ezek. 18:4, 20, Catholic Douay Bible)
“The wage paid by sin is death; the present given by God is eternal life.” (Rom. 6:23, Catholic Jerusalem Bible)
“Hell” in some translations of the Bible means the common grave of dead mankind (Heb., sheol; Gr., hades)
There will be either a resurrection from sheol or hades, or everlasting destruction in Gr. Ge'enna.
Everlasting life or everlasting death—such is the choice God sets before his creatures.—John 3:16, 36; Deut. 30:19, 20. Not life or eternal torture.
the “everlasting fire” prepared for the Devil, his angels and wicked men (Matt. 25:41, 46) is symbolic of destruction, also called“the second death,” from which there will be no resurrection Rev. 20:9, 10; 21:8.
Would you agree that the dogma of eternal torment in hell is a gross misrepresentation of the just and loving God whom true Christians worship?

Would you agree that the motivating factor in true worship should be love, not morbid fear?
By maintaining the idea of eternal torture in hell, is the Church dishonouring God?

An immortal soul is a deathless soul. So, how is it that an immortal soul can die?

For example, you quote Eze 18:4, 20 which says "The soul that sinneth, the same shall die".

If a soul can die, then that soul is NOT immortal(deathless).

Workman

UNIQUE
“Go and Sin No more”

for that they tell you so!..

And then I will say..

“Go and Sin [Know] more”!..
By meaning to Know In/of what your mistakes(sinning) were to be...

The only way to be successful,
Is from ‘failing’.

Last edited:

Workman

UNIQUE
Yeah, Hell has lost all its terror. How long falsehood can survive?
Is life really that sad for you?..well! Good on you. Enjoy what is right for you.

terror? Not even close, but now you will..
How long? That depends on you.

All the answers you seek was in my ‘Story’...
Which be from you would mean by...HIS story...Wether if it is in ‘truth’ or ‘false’..it be still of a good Story. But you did not know..For the Answer was to be...HIS’TORY.

Last edited:

pearl

The images of hell that Sacred Scripture presents to us must be correctly interpreted. They show the complete frustration and emptiness of life without God. Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy. This is how the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarizes the truths of faith on this subject: “To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called ‘hell’”

Absolutely!

Workman

UNIQUE
your time will come..and those whom before(close-by) you, is near by..death be now in time. You shall dwell for these words I give you.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is life really that sad for you?
All the answers you seek was in my ‘Story’ ..
Not at all, life has been very kind to me.
I do not seek any answers, for I have found answers to all my questions. I have already attained 'nirvana', 'moksha', 'enlightenment', 'Jnana'.

@pcarl , I have no God, and my life is full.

Muffled

Jesus in me
An immortal soul is a deathless soul. So, how is it that an immortal soul can die?

For example, you quote Eze 18:4, 20 which says "The soul that sinneth, the same shall die".

If a soul can die, then that soul is NOT immortal(deathless).

I believe the death is a spiritual condition. That is why we call career criminals, low lives.

susanblange

I ask:

What the Bible does say:

There is no fire in Hell, the fire is going to be on earth. The Messiah will literally set the world on fire. Hell is not physical torture, it is mental terror. It is a Black Hole. It is darkness, freezing cold, hyper gravity and a bottomless pit. It is also temporary, only Satan will rot forever in Hell. Entrance to Heaven is priceless, it's also a free gift.

...Would you agree that the motivating factor in true worship should be love, not morbid fear?

I agree with that. And Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. I think righteous doesn’t do good because he is afraid of doing evil things, but because he understands what is good and right and wants freely to do what is right. Person can’t really fake to be righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And interestingly it is also said:

But for the cowardly, …and all liars, their part is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."
Rev. 21:8

So, don’t be cowards. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I ask:

What the Bible does say:

If nothing else at least hell inspired great art.

Also reading Inferno I got the distinct impression (fake) Dante has a shrine dedicated to Virgil in his home. Probably tried to snip off a lock of Virgil’s hair to keep during their little tour.