• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Held captive by nutcase evangelist

roger1440

I do stuff
Thought that would get your attention, LOL. Yesterday afternoon while waiting for my bus, a man was standing on the street corner yelling. He held a Bible in his hand and was shouting, “Repent, Jesus is coming”. This man had a very thick Spanish accent. I don’t know what was worse. His yelling or that I could hardly understand what he was yelling about. When my bus had arrived I had quickly jumped on. As luck would have it, he got on the same bus. He sat towards the back and I had sat towards the front. He could be heard throughout the entire bus reading the Bible very loudly. I could see in the faces of the other passengers, they were impatiently waiting for their stop. Not one of them leisurely exited the bus. All of them hurried. I saw a sigh of relief in the faces of the passengers when it was time for this nutcase to get off the bus. When he left the bus all the passengers looked at the window to watch him fade into the distance. During this whole ordeal with this nutcase not one single person approached him and asked “How do I sign up?” This man was actually the antithesis of an evangelist.

Does it say anywhere in the Bible, “Thou shall make a nuisance of their self”? Did I miss that verse? I don’t claim to be all that well read, but I think I would have noticed that verse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suspect the guy was mentally ill. So it wouldn't be realistic to expect him to proselytize effectively. That's a tough job even for sane evangelists.

roger1440

I do stuff
I suspect the guy was mentally ill. So it wouldn't be realistic to expect him to proselytize effectively. That's a tough job even for sane evangelists.
I have seen this sort of thing before over the years. There are a few videos on Youtube also.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You should have just been helpful. For example, suggest to him that Jesus seemed to be taking his time, so perhaps he was lost. Did he remember to check his phone was up-to-date with the latest version of Google Maps? If not, try checking local crossroads for Jesus.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I always take great interest in such situations, and the whole scenario. The insecurity, carelessness, impatience etc of surrounding folks.
I never can figure out who is the more 'together', the OTT evangeliser or the passers-by, scurrying away with their heads down, or glancing and grimacing at each other. :)
I see such evangelisers in the streets of Canterbury, all sorts in fact, and I value them because they add interest to the place.
We get whole groups of the Brotherhood on occasions, and although they will not eat, drink or give hospitality with you or me, they are expected to evangelise every so often. The crazy thing is, many of the Brotherhood communities are closed to anybody else. You can tell them because they just stare up to the sky if you tell them that you have found truth and want to join.
It takes all sorts..... I'm crazier than any of 'em so I don't mind 'em. :D

roger1440

I do stuff
I always take great interest in such situations, and the whole scenario. The insecurity, carelessness, impatience etc of surrounding folks.
I never can figure out who is the more 'together', the OTT evangeliser or the passers-by, scurrying away with their heads down, or glancing and grimacing at each other. :)
I see such evangelisers in the streets of Canterbury, all sorts in fact, and I value them because they add interest to the place.
We get whole groups of the Brotherhood on occasions, and although they will not eat, drink or give hospitality with you or me, they are expected to evangelise every so often. The crazy thing is, many of the Brotherhood communities are closed to anybody else. You can tell them because they just stare up to the sky if you tell them that you have found truth and want to join.
It takes all sorts..... I'm crazier than any of 'em so I don't mind 'em. :D
These people do this sort of thing for attention. There is an old saying, “Be careful of what you wish for cause you just might get it”. A few years ago, I just got on the bus. I was tired, hungry and just waited to get home and relax after a long day’s work. Some moron sat directly behind me and started reading the Bible very loud. I came very close to grabbing his Bible and throwing it out the window. I didn’t want to get banned from the bus. It’s a long walk home. Plus the food in jail is lousy.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
These people do this sort of thing for attention.
That's what they said about Jesus.
There is an old saying, “Be careful of what you wish for cause you just might get it”.
That's what they said to Jesus.
A few years ago, I just got on the bus. I was tired, hungry and just waited to get home and relax after a long day’s work. Some moron sat directly behind me and started reading the Bible very loud. I came very close to grabbing his Bible and throwing it out the window. I didn’t want to get banned from the bus. It’s a long walk home. Plus the food in jail is lousy.
That was a test...... by Jesus?

It's OK. It's your thread. I'm cool with all the posts.
But next time you see a person, screaming their head off and shouting their message, calm yourself and say a prayer for them.... just an idea.
The idea of Christians losing their temper with mentally disabled people is worrying.
I notice that even some US official docs refer to mentally disabled people as 'mental defectives', which always helps to remind me that the US is a small 'c' (secular) Christian community.
.... just sayin'